4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
GRK
January 1, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Junior Ski Partner and I want to make a quick trip somewhere in the mid-atlantic this weekend. Need a break from Virgina skiing so okay with about a 4-5 hour drive and a 1 night stay. Looking to Ski Friday PM and Saturday AM.

Thinking about Wisp, Whitetail, CV and TL. Hoping to find least crowds/best snow...the usual.

Anyone have any recommendations on these or others? Would driving another hour or 2 somewhere else make us happier? Junior Ski Partner can ski anything and I am a tentative (but learning) intermediate if that helps.
jimmy
January 1, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Timberline or the Wisp. Might be better/cheaper if you didn't have to split the skiing into two days, but you know better. Timberline has Twister and Dew drop open now, great blue slopes. Wisp will have more for a blue skier but i'd expect it to be way more crowded. Checked Tlines webcam you should be there now smile .
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 1, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Suggest Canaan Valley, both ski areas. Check with Canaan Valley Resort for a room for Friday night only, if not full they might agree to a single night. Skiing at Canaan is ok, but if you have a choice either get the "ski the valley" pass, or no pass and ski both ski areas.
Check for number of open trails at Canaan Valley first.
Resort and ski site is
http://www.canaanresort.com/winter-activities
The Colonel smile
GRK
January 3, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Thanks Colonel and Jimmy. You are right about trying to split days Jimmy...I wasn't thinking. Turns out, we wound up at Whitetail. We were going to go to Wisp but then, well long story. Thanks both for the advice. I'll post a TR for our Whitetail jaunt.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.