Too much snow??
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
jimmy
December 30, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I don't know who's been following this, big avalanche at Jackson Hole. Link to some incredible pictures and some discussion here. The thing that impressed me most is how tough & dangerous a job Ski Patrol is.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 30, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
jimmy,
You are so correct, these are incredible pictures. Since some have "officially" been removed the reader has to keep clicking on referenced sites to see the pictures. Amazing that no one in the restaurant was hure thanks to the ski patrollers.
The Colonel smile
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 31, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I've never been to Jackson Hole and had to do some checking to see where this structure is and where slide took place on the mtn. The building is fairly new and is at the top of the Gondola at about 9000 feet. Apparently, there is a steep mountainside above. I wonder if the upper gondola terminal was damaged/broken? I'd care more about that than the restaurant if I was planning a visit there soon. Here's some past pictures of the area/building: http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/jhpressreleases/jhpressreleases.090106.release.asp
BushwackerinPA
December 31, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
its not really too much snow...

well to much snow in november with rain in late november is what is causing this.

Lots of snow at one point in time will actually make a really strong stable snowpack more often then not.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?