9 posts
6 users
5k+ views
Noob1978
December 24, 2008
Member since 12/24/2008 🔗
4 posts
Hi,

I've never been to either Wintergreen or Snowshoe. I am debating going Christmas Day. My question is how crowded will these places be tommorrow? Anyone ever been on Christmas?

Thanks!
skier219
December 24, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Christmas is a great day to ski at Wintergreen -- there are very light crowds. I was planning to ski there tomorrow myself, but am tired from my ski day yesterday, and may not get it together for tomorrow.

If the weather/conditions look good, it should be a good day up there and I would highly recommend it. My wife and I skied there on Christmas last year, and it was great (especially since it was included in our season passes). They are open 10am-10pm tomorrow.

I haven't skied SS on Christmas, but maybe someone else can comment. I was there yesterday, and the crowds were typical of a light weekend.
GRK
December 24, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
I was up there yesterday...good conditions. Terrain was limited but more opening today according to website.

Wish I could go Christmas Day.
Fleetwood
December 24, 2008
Member since 12/6/2008 🔗
69 posts
I finally made it out to the snow yesterday -- went to Wintergreen with a friend of mine. Arrived a little after 9AM and it was a beautiful 16 degrees. Upon gearing up, my buddy found that the zipper pull on his jacket was GONE! Hmmm. We got our half-day passes since my buddy was on a bit of a schedule and went by the shop to see if they had any suggestions. The answer was no, not really, good luck. He finally dug up some paperclips from someone and MacGyvered his jacket. Very resourceful, and it worked for the most part.

We made a few runs down the Dobies to get our legs under us, and then spent the rest of the day on Eagles Swoop. The downside was limited terrain being open, but conditions and weather were good in my opinion.

I don't think the crowds were too out of control while we were there considering they really only had two runs open (the Dobies and Eagle Swoop). The couple of extra trails opening today should help spread folks out a bit.

The bottom of ES was nearly a white out at times with so much snow blowing. We left the slopes around 12:45. After eating some lunch at the truck, we headed down the mountain and made an unplanned stop at the Devil's Backbone brewery/restaurant. It's a real nice place. We tried a few of their beers (very good!) and Roger the bartender even let us sample the root beer they had just made (also very good). Didn't try any food, so I can't comment on that. Maybe next time.

All in all, a good time. Looking forward to my next outing (maybe later this week!).
MichaelME
December 24, 2008
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
32 posts

My son was at Wintergreen yesterday and into the evening. He went with some new and inexperienced skiers and riders. They had a great time. More from the social I think. Depending on your expectations, skill level, and the company you keep, will influence the fun factor. Basically, everyone will be on just 2 trails, and the weather is going to be less then stellar for the next few days and nights.

I made the 3.5 trip to SS and spent some time on Cupps and it was great. From there, went to the 2 runs to the right of Swallowtail lift (furthest trails over.)Extremely firm, more so if your not a carver, if you know what I mean. Widowmaker was not open, long way from it, and the trail just to the left was being skidded, by bunches. Didn't get on it but, the young man on the chair said it was well used (firm).

For me, EG is at least a couple of weeks away to make the 1.5 hour trip worth it, and I'm not a snow snob. SS and other major resorts, I tend to stray away on W-E's and Holidays.

Bang for your buck, most Definity SS. Pumping out tons of snow, much more terrain. Although, if your consider those, you might want to consider Massennutten.

No disrespect intended from the above posts, but the tones are a little misleading from my perspective, especially for us new DCski users.
I would have made the shorter trip to EG, extremely disappointed and missed out on a fantastic time at SS.

Just my unbiased opinion. first trip to SS in 5/7 years, never been to WG or Mass..

Wherever you decide bring the smiles with you, be safe and have fun.

Michael

WintergreenWeather
SkiMass
December 24, 2008
Member since 11/21/2008 🔗
22 posts
You should try Massanutten, 1100 ft of vertical. SS defintely has the terrain and the natural snow.
Have a great time where ever you go.
Noob1978
December 24, 2008
Member since 12/24/2008 🔗
4 posts
Thanks everybody for the solid advice!
skier219
December 24, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I'll be at Wintergreen tomorrow with my brothers-in-law. Looks like it will be a great day to be out there. We'll be tearing it up on Eagle's Swoop and Sunrise/Tequila most of the day, with an occasional run on Dobie.
skier219
December 25, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Turned out to be an awesome day at WTG today. Weather and snow were perfect. Snow was crusty in the morning (a good sign, meant it was near/below freezing last night) and softened up nicely during the day. Probably one of my best days at WTG in a while. We primarily skied Eagle's Swoop, Sunrise, Tequila, and upper Tyro.

My brother in law hooked together two ski poles to snag a "prize" out of the panty tree on one lift ride up, and I busted a gut laughing to the point of tears. That's a unique new Christmas memory for sure!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.