LOCAL AREA - no discounts last weekend - why?
3 posts
3 users
1k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
December 23, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

I found it interesting that the local areas (WT,RT & LM) charged full price last weekend while almost every other resort in the area had some type of discount due to limited terrain.

I will pay for price for full terrain, but shouldn't less terrain be at a discounted rate?

I would think a skier visit at any price is worth more than that skier not visiting.
therusty
December 23, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
The Snowtime resorts did have discounts last weekend ($39 beginner special and $10 lessons), but did not have discounted lift tickets for walk up customers. Keep in mind that Advantage card holders already get a 40% discount and that season passes were cut $200 this year. Maybe Snowtime figured that was enough discounting?

If I was just a regular Joe instead of an employee, I'd feel compelled to take my business elsewhere in order to protest paying full price when the Expert terrain was not open. But then, if I wasn't an employee, did not have a season pass or an Advantage card, I probably would not go if the expert terrain was not open. Between the beginner and lessons deals, the Advantage card and Season Pass holders and all the people xmas shopping this time of year, there probably weren't enough regular Joe's to make a difference.

Whitetail did not get their 1/2 pipe opened at all last year. Should we have offered discounted rates all season? Many resorts charge full fare with less than 100% of trails and lifts open. Many local (dare I say most New England) resorts will charge holiday rates this week with <100% open. Expecting 100% open for full fare may be a little unrealistic, but expecting 100% acceptance of full price for significantly less terrain is also unrealistic. Where you draw the line is up to you. If enough people don't come, then things will change.

From my vantage point at Whitetail last weekend, the folks doing laps off the high speed were enjoying the uncrowded slopes. Some people could be saying this was a good thing.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 23, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,041 posts
Generally, the closer to the holidays the more it cost. Seven Springs is up to, what, $40 for a day pass but still have the same terrain as when they charged $10 less. Hidden Valley still only charged $15 today with great snow but only the valley side open and not all of it.

Resorts gotta meet the bills to stay open.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?