going on a little farther trip this dec/jan...
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
NonstopSki
December 17, 2008
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts
My friends and I want to take a little farther trip. you know, amy snowshoe, timberline, blue knob, elk mountain. We are going to go on a weekday, so we aren't too worried about crowds...

I just want the toughest terrain the the West Virginia/Pennsylvania area. But also need enough terrain to keep me busy for 1 or 2 days (not sure how long we will stay).

Is snowshoe the best then? On onthesnow.com it doesn't seem to be too high on just terrain ratings. Thanks guys!
curih
December 17, 2008
Member since 02/18/2008 🔗
177 posts
I can heartily recommend Elk. Great mountain. Has half a dozen good diamonds with a pretty good pitch. Also generally has some mogul fields and some ungroomed trails if you're in to that as well as some great blue cruisers. Probably be a lot cheaper than Snowshoe as well. The other nice thing is that there are several other areas in the Poconos nearby, so if you feel like a change you can head over to Sno Mountain (White Lightning at snow is probably the steepest trail you'll find in PA), Camelback, Jack Frost, Big Boulder, or a couple others.
NonstopSki
December 17, 2008
132 posts
Yea i read good things about the terrain at Elk. And I like cheap! Does seem a little small. But Elk and Snowshoe are about the same distance, so I will have to see what our plan is on how long we are going to stay.

Any other opinions of snowshoe, tline, elk, blue knob, and whatever else you consider the toughest terrain in the mid-atlantic?
BushwackerinPA
December 17, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
why not drive up to stowe? I mean the skiing around here pretty much sucks. get up to vermont where it sucks less. or heck even the catskills.
RodSmith
December 17, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Yes. Go away from here. Hunter is the challenge.
NonstopSki
December 18, 2008
132 posts
well of course its harder up north, i'm just trying to get the best challenge in the area. Im going to alta for a week during spring break. But me and a few friends just wanna get a decent trip in this winter break.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.