Colorado, California, Canada or Utah
51 posts
12 users
8k+ views
MangyMarmot
March 12, 2004
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
Just learned I'm off from work 3/27-3/31.

Any advice on WHERE to go hurtle down some trails?

I've been to Tahoe a bunch of times and LOVE it. Never been to Utah or Canada to ski.

I'd go to Snowshoe, but this is likely to be the last skiing of the year and I want guaranteed cold and good snow instead of slush.

Of course, high airfares may tank the deal, but it's worth a shot.

mm
comprex
March 12, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Utah!
KevR
March 12, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
Well you then have 2 days of travel and 3 days of skiing?

If you went to Utah and you got the earliest NON-STOP flight out of BWI from SouthWest, you could technically ski half day there on your arrival day.

I have *heard* that presenting a same day airline ticket stub at the window of Snowbird (alta/brighton/solitude?) gets you a FREE lift... CHECK THIS RUMOR OUT, I don't know if it is true!

In terms of returning you could play the same game in terms of time and actually ski most of the last day before catching the last flight back to BWI.

I should emphasize that I have NEVER done this except arrive before 12 noon and THINK about skiing half day. And I have not skied on my return travel day either, so my suggestion is pretty theoritical... and don't forget you will be at a higher altide (4k-10k ft)

NOW, the next thing to consider are the actual snow conditions. I mean who cares if you ski 4 or even 4.5 days if the snow sucks vs someplace else where the snow is great but you only get 3 days out of it.

SO I'd carefully look at resorts options and take a guess.

I know Utah has a TON of snow... BUT it has been quite warm since last week and the conditions are not ideal any more. None the less they are good at least.

It's possible they won't get snow again any time soon and you would be happier elsewhere.

BUT from a timing standpoint & possibly cost, it's a bit tough to beat.
comprex
March 12, 2004
1,326 posts
If you went to Utah and you got the earliest NON-STOP flight out of BWI from SouthWest, you could technically ski half day there on your arrival day.
Frontier can put you there by 10:30 am local with a stop in Denver
I have *heard* that presenting a same day airline ticket stub at the window of Snowbird (alta/brighton/solitude?) gets you a FREE lift... CHECK THIS RUMOR OUT, I don't know if it is true!
Details of this can be found at www.skiutah.com - look for the quick start pass
I should emphasize that I have NEVER done this except arrive before 12 noon and THINK about skiing half day.

Works great. Pack intelligently.

And I have not skied on my return travel day either, so my suggestion is pretty theoritical... and don't forget you will be at a higher altide (4k-10k ft)

Not really a problem. in UT. Much more so in Co.
MangyMarmot
March 12, 2004
183 posts
So a quick Internet check turned up some interesting deals staying in PArk City.

Do you absolutely need a car? I'd prefer to dodge the rental -- but I've been burned on ski trips a few times where the lodging strands you a LOOONG way from the resorts. The hotel in the listing I'm looking at mentions it's by some factory outlet mall (yeah, like I want to spend my $$ on docksiders instead of skiing).

Any advice on making the most of the place?

ff
comprex
March 12, 2004
1,326 posts
You don't REALLY need a car- check UTA's website for bus routes like 92/93.

http://www.utabus.com/

If you want to go to out-of-the-way places like Snowbasin/Powder Mountain, though, it is verry nice to have.

Oh, BTW:
http://www.parkcityinfo.com/skiing/quickstart/

Making the most of the place: Get to the mountain early, pack lunch (except at Snowbasin) ski until the legs give out. Try to avoid PCMR and the Snowbird tram on Fridays/Weekends. Find a place that'll rent you a soft pair of midfats $cheap$ just in case it dumps. PCMR is host to the NASTAR nationals 3/25-3/28, so it may even be more crowded than you'd expect.
KevR
March 12, 2004
786 posts
Ok just a bit of GEOGRAPHY now that I have been there. The four resorts: brighton/solitude & snowbird/alta are up BIG & Little Cottonwood canyons right on the edge of the city near Sandy (kind similiar to DC vs silver spring sort of thing).

Meanwhile, Park City, Deer, Canyons, etc... are up, well they are a few miles further (north?) and along an interstate.

I have NOT been to the latter BUT they are newer, have tons of rental options and so forth, and PROBABLY more expensive. Also MORE going on in the evening.

BUT My ski friends SNEER at them; they have been skiing a LONG time and think there is vastly better skiing at alta/snowbird at least and prefer the atmosphere of those four resorts.

I pass NO judgement having not been to Park/Deer. And would like to try them once. I also heard Snowbasin is HUGE and has some great skiing from my friend that live in Park.. You cannot UTA BUS from the CITY to these.

ANYWAY -- that was a bit involved but I can definitely RECOMMEND for CHEAPNESS the Homewood Suites in Mid-vale/Sandy. The staff was very nice and generally comfortable but minimal stay. (see homewood suites website for description)

The hotel (travel agent) included a good breakfast and "light" dinner and four resort super passes. The dinner is only available Mon-Thurs. The breakfast starts at 6am weekdays, 7am weekends. Around the hotel are several chain restaurants, fast good places and grocery store within walking distance...

We payed approximately $54 per night for lodging (2 per room), and the lifts were $44 AND included the ROUNDTRIP fee of $5 for the bus.

The BUS was TIMELY in the morning but takes about 1 hr to go the 10-15 miles to either snowbird/alta/brighton or solitude.

On the way back, due to weather MOSTLY at little cottonwood canyon (which is narrow and often CUT by avalanche) we had to wait on several occassions.

SO additional costs were LUNCH and misc spending, and AIRFARE.

I was able to get SW non-stop flights from BWI for $99 each leg on a fare saver special.

To contact the travel agent directly that set the lodging/lifts up try: lchurch@XploreVacations.com

Lauralee... tell her I sent you!

They have other options besides what I just described.

(no i do not get any thing for this)

ps. I want to go! [Razz]
KevR
March 13, 2004
786 posts
One more thing -- getting from the airport to your hotel. I used Express Shuttle which has a stall in the southwest baggage claim area. I pre-arranged mine but I bet they do walk up no problem. I *believe* it was $14 one way, and then $5 for each additional person. On the way back, we all arranged to leave the hotel at the same time and piled into the same van saving some $. We tipped $1 per bag.

http://www.expressshuttleutah.com/

Super Pass Info is here: http://www.visitsaltlake.com/ski/superpass.shtml

Never actually read this page myself but probably should!!!

[Wink]
snowbird
March 15, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
you are gonna wanna go to utah. i just spent all of last week there and however no snow fell it was still awesome. on sunday the 7th there was still powder left from the previous snow that fell most of the last week. and it woulda stayed around longer but it go so warm. and the bus ride does not take an hour on a 92 to BCC or a 98 to LCC. you are looking at around 40 minutes this time of the year. most of the stops are skipped bc no 1 is at them. however if you go earlier in the winter which i have done several times including this year you are looking at 1+ hour rides depeding where you get on the bus. if you get on a trax thats the first pick up and last drop off. therez a good and a bad to it. the good is that you will be able to sit on the way up there the bad is taht you are on the bus 4eva. so my advise is dont sit in the back of the bus you get lots of carbon monoxide from the engine on such a long ride. but if you get on at the base of either canyon you are looking at around a 15 minute ride up to the resorts. and thats about how long ti will take you if you drive anywasy bc thereZ not too many places where you can pass the buses anywasy and they are not to long so not to many cars can pass anywasy. but if you are going in late march this year there is a great possibility that you will get a big snow while you are there. they have been dry nmost of the month and that doesnt happen to often so its only time before they get hammered again. ive been there in late march and it snowed the entire trip minus the first day. snowbird is sick but i would skip it if therez a huge snow unless you just wanna ride some of the best powder in the world. go to brighton or solitude if you just wanna rid epowder all day. they dont get tracked out by noon like the bird does.
snowbird
March 15, 2004
51 posts
express is 14 dollas one way to midvale and sandy ( might be a dolla more) the farther you go the more it cost. just make sure you tip the dudes well bc they really work for tips just like skycap. they have desk in both terminals of slc airport. its across for baggage claim 3 in terminal 1 and in terminal 2 delta flights im not really sure where it is but its there. and as far as the super pass thats the way to go. its 41 dollars and its good for all day on utah transportation including (ski bus city bus and trax) and you get a super day at brighton 9 to 9 or an all day at solitude or alta. the biggie on this is you get a tram and chair pass at the bird saving yourslef close to 20 dollars of the window rate plus you got the bus fare a 5 dollar value. the best thing to do is stay in midvale and hit up the best western executive inn or stay there and you can get it there. i stay there most of the time and its a great motel and if i dont i still walk over there to buy the super pass bc they will sell it to you even if you are not staying with them. most of the other motels wont do that. you can get rooms at BWEI for 50 dollars off expedia.com. or you can stay at the ghetto motel 6 for 35 a night. buyer be ware ive stayed there and you get what you pay for. no clock in the room and no shampoo provided. bring all your stuff or you are gonna be buying stuff there. and for some reason they have micro fridges in the rooms but no clocks. its really close to the trax/ski bus stops.
MangyMarmot
March 15, 2004
183 posts
Thanks to everyone for tips -- greatly appreciated!!!

I'm salivating over the free same-day lift-tix using air boarding pass. But that means skiing park city/canyons. Is it a pain getting there from Midvale if i dump gear at the Best Western Motel first?

Is it even worth going to PArk City? Or should I just hit Alta/Snowbird first day?

A little info: I'm intermediate to advanced skier -- not a lot of experience in DEEP powder. NO moguls due to permanent injuries that have my doctor frowning when I admit to still skiing.

Is Alta/Snowbird just totally sick? I'd love to ski like Bode or Hermann... but not in this lifetime.

Thanks again for the backup on planning. I have the sweet $235 r/t fare already. Worked 2 overtime shifts -- so have a little jingle in the pocket.

mm
warren
March 15, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
MM,
If you're an intermediate to advanced, you'll find either Park City or Alta/Snowbird fun. Park City is easy to get to as it's right off of the highway (80 east I think). You can take 215 to 80. I stayed at the Homewood suites on Ft Union Blvd. It was right off of 215 and Ft Union becomes the pass for Big Cottonwood Canyon, very simple!
I really like the off piste at Snowbird (Road to Provo, Mineral Basin, etc). It's good skiing without being scary.

I spent one day at Park City and found lots of good intermediate to lower advanced terrain.

Have fun, [Big Grin] I'm envious! [Razz]
-Warren-
comprex
March 15, 2004
1,326 posts
MM, don't knock the Canyons- that place is BIG, steep and fun, with some sick tree skiing, kicker steeps and too much terrain for one day.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 16, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,989 posts
I've been to PCMR, Canyons and Snowbird. Skiing is great at all. Alta and Snowbird have rep for better snow and more extreme terrain. Whereas the big plus with Park City (PC) is the fun ski town with lots of restaurants, shops and other après ski activities next to 3 very sizable ski areas. PC and Deer Valley have a lot of great cruising terrain, but big enough to include tough stuff too. Canyons has possibly a little more of the tough stuff. SB and Alta are renowned for steep and deep, but both have good advanced cruisers too. Ultimately you may surprise yourself at the advanced level of terrain you wind up skiing there. It may be doable, but probably a hassle to get from airport to BWEI (near little cottonwood) to PC on 1st day, all via public transportation to cash in on afternoon ski freebie. If you tried it, I'd use the opportunity to check out the normally very expensive Deer Valley, facilities ridiculously swanky, good place to warm up at moderate elevations. Alta has a nice section of mellow intermediate terrain and you might want to just head up there and buy an afternoon ski ticket on first day instead. If you lodge at BWEI and decide not to venture up to PC, the little or big cottonwood canyons areas on bus route provide plenty of terrain to keep you busy and happy, esp since you only have 3 or 4 days.
MangyMarmot
March 16, 2004
183 posts
Thanks again for all the tips.

I just wish I could spend longer out there. I guess this trip is reconaissance for the future.

It seems you folks are VERY loyal to Utah. Do most of you pretty much go there when you travel -- or are there other places on the top list?

Two of my overall favorites are Tahoe's Heavenly (Nevada side) and A-Basin in Colorado. I went to A-Basin the day after skiing Vail. Though A-Basin didn't have anywhere close to the amount of terrain or che-che village stuff I really liked the vibe. Many of the folks were actually from the area.

I've also been to Andorra and Italy the last two seasons. I will probably return to Italy.

mm
SeaRide
March 17, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
I was at Utah not long ago ( 2/23-3/1). During my stay at downtown SLC ( 200 W. South Temple) it did snow pretty much during the whole time I was there. I remember one day with blue bird sky and that was it.
I did the 'quickstart' program thing where I fly in SLC airport at noon, grab the rental car, stop by the hotel downtown to dump my luggages except for my snowboard and went snowboarding at Park City from 1pm til closing at 7 30pm. Then during my stay, I went to Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude and the Canyons. I went to Park City two more times because I had to pick up my friends from the airport on two different days and we all went to Park City so they can snowboard for free.

I can't remember which resort (Brighton or Snowbird) offer 2 for 1 lift deal.

I couldn't touch Alta or Deer Valley(skier only).

The UTA Trax/Bus will take you to Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton.

I am not sure if there is some kind of shuttle that will take you to PCMR area. I 've seen so many shuttle buses/vans around PCMR.

With the rental car, it took me 30 min to drive from downtown SLC to PCMR. It took me 15-20 min to drive from downtown to Big&Little Cottonwood canyon ski resors.

MM, Have fun!
[Big Grin]
ScotS244
March 17, 2004
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
If you're staying at the BWEI you'll simply want to ski the BC and LC canyon areas. There is no public trans to PC. I was just there this past weekend and with sunny skies and light winds it was very nice. On a weekday you should try Alta or the Bird - some of their blues are steep but most all of them are wide and loooong. You can do it! On the weekend I hit Solitude and that place was so much fun. I checked out of my room Sunday morning, left bags behind the front desk, jumped on the bus, skied all day, got back to the hotel, took a PR shower in the lobby restroom, changed, grubbed and shuttled back to the airport for the red eye flight home. I flew America West, as SW didn't have any $99 fares left. Mine was $250 R/T, so it was close to the same deal as SW, plus I was able to leave from VA. Great advice from everyone here. It's clear that Utah is the choice because of convenience (no need to rent a car), cost (cheap lodging in Midvale on the bus routes) and of course, some of the best snow conditions in the states. The super pass really is a hell of deal. While I didn't stay at Best Western, that seems to be the only place you can roll in and pay for the super pass without it being part of a package deal. I think anyplace that has such great skiing (and that's what the primary objective is) where you can bring in three full days of skiing around $500 is a steal. Hell, it would've been cheaper if someone could have gone with me! Have fun and enjoy.
snowbird
March 21, 2004
51 posts
thats right the bwei is the place to stay. its cheap and has everything you need. i dont see why people go to the canyons as those places are just packed and super over rated. hit up the bird brighton and solitude. i promise you all if you go to the tude on a powder day you wont be disappointed. it will be well worth the 41 you paid for your super pass which includes your tranny up there.
snowbird 4 life.
gatkinso
March 21, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
My vote is for all four. Seriously! You have a choice: wish you had or reminisce.

Make the right one.
KevR
March 21, 2004
786 posts
Crush, how is the snow holding up with all the sunshine? Do you think it will last till memorial day? (snowbird)

[Confused]
Crush
March 22, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,281 posts
Everybody here got it right on .... Midvale is cheap and Best Western is a great place to stay. BTW there is a holiday inn express here in Park City that is a pretty fair deal, but the Best Western is cheaper. Oh, and if anyone is gonna be up here soon and wants to ski a little write me and we can make some turns together! emosel@core.com
Crush
March 22, 2004
1,281 posts
KevR - it is a meltdown but we still have 100+ inch bases at Snowbird, and the weather is changing at the end of the week to mid 30's so yes the 'Bird will make it ... in general even with all the sunshine and warm weather we are still in better condition than at this time last year. Right now the days are spent spring skiing and doing fun bumps ... but there is change in the weather!
KevR
March 22, 2004
786 posts
Cool, I going to try to make it out for 2 day either April, or my fantasy -- Memorial Day weekend. BUT of course it's just a big fantasy right now...

[Roll Eyes]
snowbird
March 22, 2004
51 posts
yeah the snow at the bird aint gonna go anywhere. it will be there for a long time. i wouldnt be surprised if this year the snow makes it till august mid to end. this warm weather is just ahead of a series of storms. the bird will still prob get another 50 to 100 inches of snow before the end of their season. and they will def make it to memorial day this year unless some freak warm trends just hits them and stays for months. they have got a huge base and it will take a long time for it all to melt. i was there right after the last storm series left and it was sick. the week was nice and warm and there was a blue bird powder day on sunday the 7th of march. but that was only back in the basin as it was closed on march 6th. but i still had an awesome week of sunshine big mtn riding at the bird, tude, and bton.
Crush
March 22, 2004
1,281 posts
Yeah mon .... actually I skied the 'Bird on Memorial Day last season ... kinda weird there were these crevasses in the snow where underground streams were running like you had to avoid them lest you fall through the surface and go up to your knees! And you had to take off your skis and climb into the Mid gad chutes but it was a hell of a day with fun and drink at the end and I loved it ... thinking of The Steak Pit right now (hey Mike Chew here I come!). Oh man where else can you ski for 6 months out of the year!!!!!!! [Smile]
snowbird
March 22, 2004
51 posts
man im also tasting the steak pit right about now. a teriyaki steak would hit the spot right about now. espically with the nice buttery brown bread they sever over there. they def got the best steak in the west. the price is kinda high but its well worth it once you taste the steak going down. also the keyhole junction has a killer flank steak with potatos. i still think steak pit is the best palce at the bird, and ive eaten at em all. the arie is over priced and all they have is super facny food. but for lunch you gotta hit up the forklift and get a forklift burger with bacon and swiss cheese. mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmm i wish i was at the bird right now. and i dont even konw if im gonna go next season bc im going to jackson hole in dec to see what all the hype is about out there. it also helps that i got a free rountrip on united so it will be super cheap trip. airfare to the hole is uslally pretty expensive but i got a freebie so im pretty stoked.
KevR
March 23, 2004
786 posts
Ok I was at JH last year first time and then SLC ('bird/alta/brighton/solitude) approx the same time of the year (last week feb/first march) first time this year. SO SLC vs JH -- just some observations really:

SLC has: more snow, lighter snow, convenience & is cheaper, more resort options, commuter skiing

JH has: remoteness, le grand tetons/natural beauty, birthplace of "xtreme" skiing?/culture of, more WIND, cooler tram ride

For me:

Best "Run/Area" at JH: Hobacks
Best "Run/Area" at Big/Little CC: Germania + Snake Creek Trees

Preference: I have to give it to SLC for the fluffy snow overall. However, my VASTLY better and more experienced (25+ yrs) ski bud gives it to JH.

I say go later in the season when they will have more snow to experience it yourself & draw your own conclusions...
Crush
March 23, 2004
1,281 posts
Snowbird - ohh yeah the keyhole is gr8t! Like they make actually good margritas (the Don Julio works for me) and hey it works right! Or ... maybe if you are cheap like me after comin' off the 'Tram grab a pint of Jack Daniels from the little market on the second level and THEN go into the Steak Pit oh yeahh .... ain't that bread they serve good! Ain't being a ski bum in UT all that :-)! #1 in the sun with lots of fun. Hey shoot me an email if you want to make some turns together : receive it: emosel@core.com .
snowbird
March 25, 2004
51 posts
yeah i wish i was out there now. but i live in nc and made 2 trips out there this season. one right at christmas and it was def the best west trip ive ever taken and ive taken alot. but yeah that bread is awesome. and that market is good and all, but its still expensive. im sure its cheaper than the liquor at steakpit though. then you just mix it yourslef. now you are hard core. and as far as they person that said go to jackson hole later in the season i would but i dont wanna go over spring break. last 2 years ive been to utah over spring break and its been super warm and sunny. and ive also been to tahoe and utah the last 2 christmases with utah being dec 03 and tahoe dec 02 and both times it was nothing but a week of powder. so im gonna gamble and hit up the hole this year and christmas and pray that it snows. i also have a free roundtrip so ill only be paying for a motel and lift tickets. and ill stay at a dirt cheap motel like the 49niner inn or something and split it with the dude going with me. so it will be cheap.
but keep ripping it up and the bird and it still hands down the best mountain in the country in my opinion. ive had so many good powder days at the bird that ill never forget how great the place can be even on a tshirt day out there.
MangyMarmot
March 25, 2004
183 posts
Counting down the days.

Will be leaving Sunday. Went with Best Western and plan to hit Alta and Snowbird.

Something unrelated to skiing.... Any halfway decent food/beer/place to watch basketball near that Best Western?

All the rumors about Mormon-land have me a bit concerned it may not be so easy to come by a few tasty ales after hurtling down the mountains all day. (nothing against Mormons, they just allegedly don't share my fervor for fermentation)

mm
KevR
March 25, 2004
786 posts
We were in Mid-vale (near Sandy) at the Homewood suites -- around it were various chain restaurants and a pub/restaurant. NO problem at all. I think there is some sortof "club card" you need in some areas but I'm not sure what that's about.
I never talked to anyone about Mormonism until I was on the plane flight back, where I nice old lady tried to convert me..

Sigh, I'd convert for the snow!!! No doubt about it!

[Razz]
snowbird
March 25, 2004
51 posts
you got a good trip planned. the bw is the place to be. you can just walk across the street and get all the beer you want and you will have a nice tv in your room. ask for a room with a micro friedge and you can even store you beer for nice cold beer after you go to snowbird. if you happen to stay in room 105, 205 they have the microfridge or room 238 ive stayed in em all. room 205 is sweet. we stayed in that room one time threw our bords up on top of the entertainment center and put up tons of pics outta magazines all over the room. we just stuck them in picture frams that were already in the room towel hooks in the broom and by the time we left we had over 30 bottles lined up next to the trash can. you dont even need maid suervice there so you dont have to worry about them messing with your stuff. just ask for clean towles at the desk and they give you as manyas you wnat.then you toss them in the corner of the batroom and watch them pile up. the people there are really super nice. tip the guy in the breakfast room he works hard. therez one guy at the front desk thats kinda slow and gets sidetracked sometime.s you will encounter him im sure. then therez a guy early 30s thats always there that will help youwith anything you need. buy the super pass and hit up slc at night. they also got a computer in the lobby with internet access so you can let us konw at the end of the day how it was. oversized hot tub is really nice. and if you have ever been there before you already know all this stuff. but ill take it you havent bc you were asking for good places to eat and stuff. herez what ya got therez a mexican food place basically in the parking lot it may be chienese i cant remember. therez 2 gas stations right across the street. next to those you got a dennys and mcdonalds. up the road the other way you got a taco bell its next to sportsmans. then more up the road you go the more places there are to eat. but let me suggest riding trax into downtown and eating there. also visit temple square. ride the trax to either galavin center or one stop after and you are right there. get of when you see crossroads palaza. or you can ride all the wya to the delta center and walk back like 4 minutes and get there. but its really cool in there. what we did the first few times we were there was explore. just walk around and you will find stuff. us guys dont ask we find ourselves. and it makes it that much more fun. hit up the bird for sure that place rulz as you can tell by my name. ive love it and like to call it my home mtn even though its not.
most important thing have fun
MangyMarmot
March 26, 2004
183 posts
Is it possible/a good idea to ski Snowbird and Alta both in the same day? Or is it a hassle getting from one to the other?

I was figuring on hitting Alta Sunday afternoon (after my flight gets me to the city). While I'm there, I'll book an early morning private lesson for Monday.

I don't want to miss Snowbird, so I figured I'd swing by there after the lesson. Then on Tuesday I can return to either of the two (or maybe even Solitude???).

Is one or the other better for afternoon skiing?

mm

PS I can't wait. Working some overtime right now to pay for the lift tickies!!
warren
March 26, 2004
485 posts
MM,
You can ski both Alta and the Bird as they are connected. There is a gate between the two resorts at High Baldy pass. This is accessed from mineral basin on the Snowbird side. There is an Alta-Bird pass available. This works as long as you or a friend don't ride. They don't allow snowboarding at Alta.

Have Fun! [Cool]
-Warren-
ScotS244
March 26, 2004
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
It's not worth it to ski both on the same day. After your lesson, roam all over Alta... there's more than enough there to keep you occupied and I'm certain you can get some good info out of your instructor as to where some local hidden spots are. You are going to love both places! Give each one their due and spend a full day at each of 'em!
snowbird
March 26, 2004
51 posts
its supposed to snow bout 5 to 8 there today. so count on all that being tracked out today. so when you go to the bird unless it snows again start your day in mineral basin. the snow loosens up there first. i always start back there. its just a huge back bowl bigger than all resorts in wv combined. you could stay occupied the entire day back there but dont. stay for a couple to a few hours and then go to the front side. make some tram laps those are always and then ride some chairs. you will be sore at the end of the day if you have never ridden out west before. if you are looking for a groomer off the top of the tram may i suggest chips run its alwasy a fun run down to the bottom. if not hit up the cirque or just pick your own route. and as far as lift tickets you can get the super pass at the best western EI. if you decide to get the bird/alta pass you are gonna have to pay 20 dollars on top of the super pass. waste of you time and money. just go to the bird one day and alta another. saves time and money. they are easily connected but not worth the extra money. i dont know how long you are staying but may i suggest if it snows more than 5 incehs while you are there go to BCC brighotn or solitude as you will get to ski way more powder. they dont get tracked out nearly as fast as LCC. and if you are still looking for transportation from slc international to midvale use express. across from carosul 3 in terminal 1. its 14 for the first person 5 dollars each addidional. then tip em they need it they pooo. wait till you have your luggage though before you try to check in if not you are wasting your time and their time.
snowbird
March 26, 2004
51 posts
that 5 to 8 turned into about a foot and a half. you should be in for a good day on mon if its stays cold and doesnt get to warm. but let me tell ya now that you will hear and see lots of avalanches while you are there. bc all this snow and its supposed to warm back up in a few days. you will have a blast though. i would recommend going to BCC sunday afternoon. you will find lots more powder there i promise. then hit up the bird and alta mon and tue. but bcc will have lots of powder still left im sure.
MangyMarmot
March 27, 2004
183 posts
1 more day. WOO WOO

Psyched about the new snow!

One last question. These buses I'll be taking to Brighton/Alta/Bird. Do they dump you right at the resorts? OR is there a hike?

Trying to figure out whether to don the ski boots (Iron Maidens) before the ride or do the switch and nab a locker at the resort.

Not a biggie, but I want to do a "Mission Impossible" type superfast transition from airport to dump stuff at BWEI to bus to trails in minimum time. AWWW I can almost taste the skiing right now.

mm
Crush
March 27, 2004
1,281 posts
Hee hee see ya! We got a nice little storm yesterday and this morning .... just got back in from my second day of pow skiing .... at The Canyons we got about 14"-18" (in the trees) so Alta must have 16"-20" I bet! It's awesome .... ooops looking out the window of the Cash Room where I work and its snowing again LOL!!!!
snowbird
March 27, 2004
51 posts
at the bird you got 4 flights of stairs. but its a good idea to have the ski boots ready. have funnn. and crush i wish i was where you were now but in bcc or lcc. ive heard that canyons and pc are waay over reated. but i can top all that. i was out at app today for the melt down games and the snow was better than the utah powder any time this season.......... cant wait to hit up the 60 ft pond skim tomorrow. thats the way to end an awesome season.... have fun in utahh.
andy
March 27, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Bonita are running 1 to 5 miles offshore...yellow fin tuna 40 mls,king mackeral 20 mls Whiting & an assortmenmt of inshore fish running........Sorry wrong post!!
WP_Employee
March 28, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
They dump you off right in front of the main resort building... it is so convenient.
Crush
March 29, 2004
1,281 posts
HI Snowbird!

Well I agree I think that Park City Mountain Resort is kind of well boring to me ... but it is a great racer's mountain. The Canyons however, I consider *underrated*. If you ski you you will get what I mean. It has such a variety of terrain it keeps me interested even after two seasons of skiing it almost every day. Alta, Snowbird are the places I go to ski extreme terrain like Great Scott chute or somthing ... and they feel different with very little trees and very wide open. The Canyons, BTW has some kick-ass tree skiiing. One side skis like almost New England (but with better snow!) and the other side is more wide open. I admit though that I do *not* ski groomed runs very much unless it is real warm ... I ski mostly off-piste so my perspective tends to be different. But hey I just got back from Solitude and it was great with lots of sun and I stayed on the goomers and just laid out on my slalom skis and enjoyed the open runs! Whatever .. it's all good!
KevR
March 29, 2004
786 posts
I thought Brighton had some excellent tree skiing around the Snake Creek lift area...

Also a local suggested Snowbasin was the best of the park city area resorts... thoughts?
MangyMarmot
March 29, 2004
183 posts
Thanks to all you folks.

Sitting in the BWEI right now. Legs complaining, face burning and a big grin that won't leave.

Woke up in DC yesty, flew Balt to Salt LAke City dumped bags at bes western and caught bus to Brighton. I was skiign by roughly 1pm. That is awesome.

Remnants of Fri-Sat snow still lingering.

Hit Alta today. That place is awesome. The bumpy diaminds are a little too much for this wuss (this season at least). But, all the trails off sugarloaf were fun. And the trails to the right side of Supreme also rocked. I din't get over to Wildcat... Maybe next trip -- because tomorrow I gotta hit Snowbird. Then, alas it's back to DC.

The sun is so intense -- it burned through the SPF 30 latex paint i use for sunscreen. But, hey what's a little Melanoma??

I gotta check this place out in January when the afternoon sun doesn't soften up the snow. Despite the warmth it's still not like skiing the snowcone goop I've hit in southern California and Snowshoe in spring.

mm

PS Anyone planning a trip out here in coming weeks should be encouraged. The base is awesome and few crowds.
warren
March 30, 2004
485 posts
MM,
The next time you hit Brighton, you have to try the runs off of the Great Western lift. There is all kinds of fun hillside there with some nice tree-skiing everywhere! I skiied that lift for the good part of a day and never took the same line down [Big Grin]

-Warren-
snowbird
March 30, 2004
51 posts
i like the skiing/riding on the backside of the mtn. ride those sketchy green lifts up on a powder day and back there you are assuered fresh tracks all day. not too many people go back there. i like the tree riding at bton as well. if you go in the trees about mid mtn where there quad back to the top is there is a natural rainbow tree back in there. its super awesome and has been there for years. hope you like the bwei as its a really nice place to stay for not too much money and they have internet access in the room for you if you have a wirelss modem

rock on have fun at the bird and start back in the basin.
MangyMarmot
March 31, 2004
183 posts
The bird was sweet.

The mineral creek area is sweet. Can't wait to go back with fresh powder. The ungroomed areas went from icy to kinda mushy quick -- but i rode the baldy express a bunch of times.

On the frontside, Bananas, Bass Ackward and a couple other runs I can't remember were fun.

I can't wait to go back next year.

The folks at Best Western were really nice. The Mexican place in the parking lot was pretty good and the miner cafe down the street had a tasty bacon cheeseburger.

Anybody tried the brewery up the road from BWEI (near the Hooters). I was too tired to hike down.

mm
Crush
April 1, 2004
1,281 posts
ummm .. glad you had a good time. And you mean Mineral Basin, right? It's ok but a little no-fun for me .. except for where those little easy chutes are over to the skier's far right ... near the terminus of gadzoom ski lift. I like the stuff under the first tram tower where they hold the extreme skiing competitions. Nice steeps stuff ... no mistakes there!
snowbird
April 1, 2004
51 posts
mineral basin is sweet on a powder day. the entire mtn rocks on a powder day. however the problem with the basin is that it has a few run outs and those create a problem when you are snowboarding. the best thing to do is avoid the areas with the flat and drop in right at the top. the bird also has some really nice tree runs if you go in the trees at all. glad ya had fun, and glad that your now a bird fan. however if it snows you should really go to solitude as thats what im going to do next time in there and it snows. you will get way more tracks on a powder day there.
MangyMarmot
April 3, 2004
183 posts
UHHHHHHHH, yeah Mineral Basin. That's it. Having a senior moment I guess.

I also learned a valuable lesson on the trip....
I generally take some snacks with me for the day - chocolate, trail mix, fruit. This time, I took a banana. Bad idea. Just as I was thinking it was time to snack, I caught an edge and fell full on the banana pocket.

When I reluctantly reached in the coat pocket I got a handful of yellow sludge:-)

So, Crush, Snowbird, do you do those insane cliff jumps and stuff?
I dunno how I'd ever work up to that level.

mm

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?