Snowshoe Review, Richmond Times-Dispatch, 8 Dec 08
5 posts
4 users
2k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
A reporter for the Richmond paper discusses the awesome conditions at the Shoe. Yes, it takes time to get there. Yes, it is relatively expensive. But the conditions are absolutely awesome.
Skiers Find Peak Winter Conditions at Snowshoe
skier219
December 8, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
"Moisture just runs up against these 4,000-foot peaks, and it just pukes snow"

Awesome line. Not so sure about the rest of the article -- it's got a definite newbie viewpoint, and abuse of the word "powder" -- but I imagine the traditional casual skier customers of Snowshoe (and probable readers) will like it. Most people really have no idea of the unique micro-climate up there that is a short drive away from places like Richmond.

Speaking of which, I found it odd that I can drive Williamsburg to Snowshoe in 4.5 hours, yet this guy is about an hour closer and takes the same amount of time. Maybe he took the green route wink
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 10, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
He said, "ready to go with shoes buckled, goggles down, skis locked in", which was not good. But then he said, "I pointed the skis downhill and gave myself to the mountain", which was very good.

Nothing like being ravaged by a mountain full of snow. grin

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
The reporter probably hasn't heard of the term "orographic lift" or perhaps he thinks it's a cuss word... Wonder what he'd think of "adiabatic cooling"...
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Or "boots"!
The Colonel smile

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?