Snowshoe Conditions On Wednesday
3 posts
3 users
rmcva
March 11, 2004
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Took a trip to Snowshoe on Wednesday since they reported receiving 17". Fantastic is the best way to describe. It was hard to believe the conditions there during March. A few trails were left ungroomed and were lots of fun. The others were groomed to perfection. Cupp and Shay had their fair share of ice but were still lots of fun. Go soon and you'll get in some good skiing before the season ends. Rumor has it Silver Creek may close in about 10 days while the Snowshoe area may make it into April.
JR
March 12, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Yeah, I was there on Tuesday and it was incredible. Great powder moguls on both lower shay and cupp with the icy spots here and there like you mentioned. You could easily avoid it after the second run though after you learned the good routes. I just wish I'd remembered to wax my board so I could make it that extra 20 yards to lower shay without pushing. Widowmaker was the best I've ever seen it and was ungroomed for the first time I've seen it. Bear Claw and Flying Eagle at Silver Creek were great and ungroomed. The only problem was the crowds of Spring Breakers but outside of Ballhooter lift you didn't have much wait. I decided I was the only one on the mountain from WV that day.

Silver Creek will probably close after the 24 hours of snowshoe on the 24th i think and April 11th is the expected closing date for the rest. There's a couple little glade runs between the 2 blacks as well. Nothing great but fun nonetheless.
warren
March 12, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
I'm headed there from 3/19 - 3/21 I'll let you know how it looks then.

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.