11 users
3k+ views
skiTLINE
December 2, 2008
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
http://canaanweather.4t.com/

55 inches thus far is pretty amazing if you ask me smile

I like reading his little daily remarks....

Nov 25 - Sharply colder with a few flurries overnight, then snow resumed during the morning and continued all day and evening. Snow fell heavily much of the time from late morning through the evening. Total snowfall this month so far makes it the second snowiest November in the past 64 years, based on Canaan Valley's official observations. The most snow ever in November was 55 inches in 1995.
kwillg6
December 2, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Yep. I'm thinking it's just like 95/96. I thought I saw you in the Valley this past weekend. Is your vehicle a beige/brown color???
crunchy
December 2, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
add a few more inches to that from overnight. and right now accuweather radar shows alot of blue over them 'thar heels too! I think Ullr is hiding in the great-lakes this fall and he definatley must be "getting some" from skade! smile
GGNagy
December 2, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Whats so amazing about it? How many slopes open at TL or CV? No use unless you use those "broken" bindings that leave your skis all floppity and only attached to your toe. :P smile

Let me guess, they are building a base so as to be able to stretch the season late into april. wink
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Roger Z
December 2, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
55 inches of snow and neither of the downhill resorts is open in Canaan???? That's ridiculous. I just got an email from Wolf Creek CO that they have every lift running and they've only received 38 inches of snow so far this winter. There's no excuse, you don't even need to crank the guns to open under those conditions. I mean, it avalanched at Wisp for Pete's sake!
jimmy
December 2, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
grin Heh what's amazing to me is i've already made turns, three days worth at 7springs uno, nocking the cobwebs off. You are rite GGNagy no training heel skiing in THE Valley yet cry , Tline said they'd open 12/4 & guess what?? smirk they will, looks like a pretty strong opening to me and yup they'll be open into april just like last year and the year before that and the year before that you get my meanings wink . What's wrong wit a little anticipation??

What's wrong with Canaan Resort??? Are they making snow yet?
crunchy
December 2, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy

What's wrong with Canaan Resort??? Are they making snow yet?

maybe on the tubing hill smile they are light-years behind the times on their snowmaking. plus... I understand they are hurting for water because of such a dry summer/fall. Tline poaches water from the blackwater river which canaan cant
skiTLINE
December 2, 2008
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
Yep. I'm thinking it's just like 95/96. I thought I saw you in the Valley this past weekend. Is your vehicle a beige/brown color???

Yes it is. Pewter. But you also cant miss the tire on top wink

Actually we went up last Tuesday and stayed til Sunday. On Wednesday and Thursday last week I pulled 4 cars out that were off the road on 32. Was nasty for a while there.
Redman
December 2, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
106 posts
This is the reply to my question:
Red - this message is from our General Manager, David Bostic in reply to your question,
"Canaan has taken advantage of the cold weather and has been making tons of snow. Mother Nature has been good to us, so in return we can be good to our guest with a great mountain. We are planning on being open to the top, especially through the main areas. We are also hoping to have many of our natural trails open as well.
You should definitely come see Canaan and the great mountain the snow team has prepared for the opening of the 37th season."
Mike Chaney (Mtn. Mananger) has just informed me that at least 8 trails (open to the top) + several natural trails & the tube park will be open on December 12th for your skiing pleasure.
We are offering a free snow day on December 11th from 12pm - 4:30pm - with official opening day being Dec 12th from 9am - 4:30pm.
Spread the word and we hope you decide to come out and have a great time with us.

A Jack Frost appearance to help Jimmy stock the coal furnace with wood and a day of busting a move with SCWA will prep me for next week's opening!!!
kwillg6
December 2, 2008
2,066 posts
Glad mto see that it's doing better than last year at NF. Twas slick then as well. We're going up on Friday thru Sunday we're doing the ski school thing this year or are trying it again. It's been 15 years since we did the weekend warrior thing at the shoe. Season passes may have spoiled me. We'll see.
David
December 2, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
Glad mto see that it's doing better than last year at NF. Twas slick then as well. We're going up on Friday thru Sunday we're doing the ski school thing this year or are trying it again. It's been 15 years since we did the weekend warrior thing at the shoe. Season passes may have spoiled me. We'll see.

I'll be there for that also..
fishnski
December 2, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: skiTLINE
http://canaanweather.4t.com/

55 inches thus far is pretty amazing if you ask me smile

I like reading his little daily remarks....

Nov 25 - Sharply colder with a few flurries overnight, then snow resumed during the morning and continued all day and evening. Snow fell heavily much of the time from late morning through the evening. Total snowfall this month so far makes it the second snowiest November in the past 64 years, based on Canaan Valley's official observations. The most snow ever in November was 55 inches in 1995.

It really kicked in over night & every 2 hours I would look out at a drift behind my house that grew to chest deep...& then My Stairs coming off my Deck Disapeared!...All that after a whole day of rain the day before...Got to love it!

Hunting season all week in the Valley area..Sounded like Iraq on opening day/mon..Saw my neighbor put on his orange vest & strap on his rifle & after stepping on to his ATV with his full face gear & goggles looking like Rambo he took off pushing thru the drifts & dropped down a ridge behind his place only to come back up just before dark with a big ole Buck strapped across his ride!!..Talked to another boy up in Davis with a big 8 point Buck in his P/U. He told me that it wasn't "the Bigun'..& that he was going to get the big boy next...He started to complain about how much hunting was starting to cost him..you know bullets & such..but i busted out laughing when I quizzed him on his gas expenses & he told me that he shoots his from his ..PORCH!..Keeping things Real..& interesting in the WV Alpps!!
Crush
December 2, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
- that's cool. i knew a guy that had a 30-06 in delaware that would nail stuff off of his porch. i guess if i knew what to do with a dead deer i'd be up to it but i'm too lazy. i dunno - i used to visit my friend up in parley's canyon outside of park city and they had this neighbor that always seemed to be out chopping up some deer in his driveway and packin' it up and now he has a busted brain 'cause he got ejected thru his pickup's windshield in an accident - i can't shake the feeling it was karma-tic in some ways. hmmm my friends there made good veg curry - maybe i should stick to that.

but then again, i make a pretty good steak.
skier219
December 2, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I love venison, and used to hunt as a kid, but am not quite set up to do it now. I showed my wife some pictures of my dad and I slicing up a deer when I was a kid, and she looked shocked. I am not sure how she would react if she came home to find bambi hanging in the garage!
jimmy
December 3, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: Redman

A Jack Frost appearance to help Jimmy stock the coal furnace with wood and a day of busting a move with SCWA will prep me for next week's opening!!!

Yea Red that was a fine moment, wood in the coal stove we didn't see the sign who would've guessed? You & SCW hiking or riding teh lifts? I'm wondering if Jack Frost and Tline being open has happened before. Should be quite the weekend.
kwillg6
December 3, 2008
2,066 posts
Originally Posted By: jimmy
I'm wondering if Jack Frost and Tline being open has happened before. Should be quite the weekend.

I remember at least once before but am trying to remember if it was CV or T-line back in the 90s. I also remember doing JF in a blinding snowstorm. That was back when almost everybody fit into the main building. But even then the back shops were used as overflow for the variety of ways in celebrating the advent of the winter season. wink
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?