8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
luist2401
November 29, 2008
Member since 01/10/2007 🔗
18 posts
Did anyone hit Wisp yesterday or today?

I'm considering running over there tomorrow despite the forecast not being the greatest.

Any feedback you have regarding snow/trail conditions lift lines, etc., would be great to help me decide whether the 2.5 hour trip would be worth it for me and the family.

Thanks.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 1, 2008
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Luist2401, I skied Wisp yeaterday (Sunday). People that my group talked with spoke about how great skiing was on Saturday -- sunny, comfortable temps, great grooming...and plenty of people catching their first turns.

But we went Sunday. The thermometer danced with the freezing mark all day, and, more often than not, we skied through drizzle mixed with sleet, then rain. Snow conditions were still good. A friend remarked that it was the worst skiing weather he experienced but he still had a great time!

The front side (Squirrel Cage, Upper Deer Run, Randal's, Possum, Wisp Trail) and North Camp (Backbone-Big Dipper plus Ridge Run and Ace's Run) were open. Muskrat and East Side not yet open. At Wisp's elevation, there was quite a bit of natural snow in the woods as well.

Mid-A skiing in November? We'll take it!

Woody
David
December 1, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Wisp skiing looks to only get better as the week goes on...

McHenry Weather
kennedy
December 1, 2008
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I was there for opening day. Apart from some opening day teething problems (lift ticket machines on the blink, lift 7 stopping for 30 minutes) it was a really nice day. The terrain was more limited than I thought it would be. Basically a handful on the front and a handful on the back. I did manage to get some pow under my board by sticking to the edges of the trails. I think that may be my first ever opening day pow so conditions were pretty nice. If I can just get past some gear issues I'll be all set. I'm in limbo on my boots. Part of me wants new ones, part of me doesn't want to spend the money or get ride of a pair of boots I've already got nice and broken in. Might just play around with replacing the foot beds and see what happens.
luist2401
December 2, 2008
Member since 01/10/2007 🔗
18 posts
Sounds like the skiing was great on Fri-St. I ended up passing on driving to Wisp on Sunday morning.

Woody, glad you still had a good time. If it was me alone, I may have gone to Wisp despite the weather, but I was going to bring the Mrs. and 2 kids, and I can just hear the whining from everyone if we had gone. I'm sure I'll head to Wisp soon.

Luis
chuckie
December 2, 2008
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
Rode up at WISP over the weekend. Saturday was great weather wise, but SUN got ugly.

I was impressed with WISPs trail conditions, the trails they had open (quite a few) had very good coverage for the most part (I expected bomb holes and thin coverage). Unfortunately chair 2 was off line, so the lines for chair 3 were longer than should have been all weekend.

Although it's mostly beginner terrain (which WISP needed anyway), the addition of the NORTH CAMP trails helped to alleviate some of the lines at the bottom. I give WISP credit, it seems like a really good investment for them. I'd love to see some of the SNOWTIME resorts making terrain expansions (not picking on them, just a dream).

Hey anytime you can ride around here over the Turkey day holiday, you can't complain in the least. smile

chuckie
chuckie
December 2, 2008
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
Originally Posted By: kennedy
I was there for opening day. Apart from some opening day teething problems (lift ticket machines on the blink, lift 7 stopping for 30 minutes) it was a really nice day. The terrain was more limited than I thought it would be. Basically a handful on the front and a handful on the back. I did manage to get some pow under my board by sticking to the edges of the trails. I think that may be my first ever opening day pow so conditions were pretty nice. If I can just get past some gear issues I'll be all set. I'm in limbo on my boots. Part of me wants new ones, part of me doesn't want to spend the money or get ride of a pair of boots I've already got nice and broken in. Might just play around with replacing the foot beds and see what happens.

Hey KENNEDY, I missed ya up at WISP on FIRDAY (ended up getting held up in Bmore, and didn't get in until real late *groan*). It just must be the year of boot f@#%& ups!?!?! I have bruises on the tops of my feet (around the ankles) from having to crank down my packed out boots with HERCULEAN force (damn near herniated myself)!!! Went and dropped the bucks on a pair of BURTON POACHERS yesterday so I could ride this weekend. Gor, what a difference new boots make! smile What problems are you having gear wise with the boots? Mine were just so packed out I had tremendous heel lift. Good luck with it.

chuckie
kennedy
December 2, 2008
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I was having problems in the heel of my right boot. Not with lift but it just didn't feel right, anyway as a result it was pushing my toe into the front of the boot which really hurt after a while. In the process of trying to spare my toe the muscles in my shin started cramping. I think I might try switching out the footbeds and wearing different socks for the next trip and see how it feels. I want new boots but the ones I want are pricey.

No worries on Friday. I knew you weren't getting there until late anyway. I will say though that we had a really nice house rented a few miles from the mountain that I might rent out for a group trip after Christmas. I want to put together more Meetup events but my schedule is so packed right now I can't seem to get anything done.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?