Avalanche at Wisp?
22 posts
14 users
11k+ views
Murphy
November 24, 2008
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Did anyone hear about the avalanche at Wisp? There's a full trip report at TGR.

TGR Thread

Scroll down for pics of the actual avalanche. CRAZY! shocked
BushwackerinPA
November 24, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
yeah and thats extra scary because man made snow is heavy.

this kinda of cool and has happen before on ripcord, avalanche at springs, that place in indiana, and I have even seen a 10 inch fresh snow at blue knob slide down extrovert.

for those not wanting to venture over to maggot land here are th pics of the slide.

David
November 24, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Wow, I may have to get a beacon this year....
skiTLINE
November 24, 2008
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
Thats insane. I wonder what would cause it. Could it be due to ground not being cold enough to hold snow??

Awesome pics though!!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
skier219
November 24, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Really interesting -- has all the dynamics of a natural snow avalanche. That is one heck of a slab. They need to use more glue between the grass and snow....
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
That was my thought too. I also suspect that poor snowmaking practice may have contributed; loading a slope with far more weight of snow in a short time than it can support. Probably a bad water/air mix as well. There is a class of slow wet spring slides of natural snow. I wonder if there were witnesses and if it was such a slow wet slide.
BushwackerinPA
November 24, 2008
Member since 12/9/2004 🔗
649 posts
Originally Posted By: Denis
That was my thought too. I also suspect that poor snowmaking practice may have contributed; loading a slope with far more weight of snow in a short time than it can support. Probably a bad water/air mix as well. There is a class of slow wet spring slides of natural snow. I wonder if there were witnesses and if it was such a slow wet slide.

the kids in the TR set it off.
langleyskier
November 24, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Probably also a problem because the ground underneath may not have been frozen when they started making snow, allowing for the snow to slip at the base
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Someone could have got hurt...
Murphy
November 24, 2008
618 posts
Originally Posted By: langleyskier
Probably also a problem because the ground underneath may not have been frozen when they started making snow, allowing for the snow to slip at the base

Not only that but it's probably a layer of dense man made slow on top of very light natural snow. You can see two distinct layers in the first picture.
comprex
November 24, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: Murphy

Not only that but it's probably a layer of dense man made slow on top of very light natural snow. You can see two distinct layers in the first picture.

It looks like they bonded fairly well, though.
Murphy
November 24, 2008
618 posts
Originally Posted By: comprex
Originally Posted By: Murphy

It looks like they bonded fairly well, though.

Yea, you're probably right. In the bottom of the image you can see a chunk breaking off. It looks intact from top to bottom.
jimmy
November 24, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Looks like it broke off at a water bar.
JohnL
November 24, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Looks like it broke off at a water bar.

Since when do they server water at bars? grin

Back to the slide, I've noticed from personal (uneducated) experience that snow often doesn't adhere to the base surface (frozen or wet.) Given that the snow was recent and hadn't settled, I guess that is not too surprising. I've found those slides to occur at steeper slope angles than what is in the picture.

Still, this is a useful reminder to always expect the unexpected.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
And what a snow sports enthusiast poaching a run on a closed trail might experience if the grooming crew has not groomed a suitable base.
The Colonel smile
comprex
November 24, 2008
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL

No, no, no, a thousand times no. It's a reminder to get ready to be surprised.
JohnL
November 24, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Originally Posted By: comprex

No, no, no, a thousand times no. It's a reminder to get ready to be surprised.

Otay, I'm on beer number six? tonight and hitting three different web sites at once, so I'm missing the subtle difference. Or am I over-thinking things? Help a brutha who's down on his luck...
comprex
November 24, 2008
1,326 posts
Or am I over-thinking things?

Yes. My tongue was making a hole in my cheek. Owch.

*spills drink out hole onto T-neck*
JohnL
November 24, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
That's OK, beer number seven is testing good right nwo.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 25, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Yeah that is interesting, pretty nice early season base they were working on! Looks like it occurred on The Face, one of the steeper trails on the front side. There's a good pic of Tommo on The Face in this old trip report:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=953&mode=headlines
Sometimes they build big hits on that trail for competitions, looks like they got a start on a big jump. smile
Hope no one was hurt when it broke off.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 25, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Originally Posted By: The Colonel
And what a snow sports enthusiast poaching a run on a closed trail might experience if the grooming crew has not groomed a suitable base.
The Colonel smile

You hit the nail on the head. Succintly
snomonster
November 26, 2008
Member since 04/2/2005 🔗
16 posts
A similar thing happened last year at Holiday Valley in Western NY on the "The Wall' slope. This slope has a 38 degree pitch. The slope was closed at the time.

http://www.holidayvalley.com/winter.cfm?subpage=630
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.