Sad Day.....
10 posts
9 users
1k+ views
SpringsRegular
November 19, 2008
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Today the world lost a fine Patroller and an even better man. Sam was a great patroller. He was the first Snowboard patroller at Seven Springs and set the standard by which all others are judged. I watched him grow from a nervous kid to one of the best patrollers I have ever had the pleasure of working beside. Rest peacefully Sam....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08324/929035-100.stm
David
November 19, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
That is terrible news to hear. I really feel bad for his family, especially his wife and child. It always makes me really mad to hear about brave men and women who die in ways such as this. The guy that killed him deserves nothing less than some form of capital punishment.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Extremely sad news indeed. One death doesn't necessarily justify another one, because it cheapens life altogether. However, justice can indeed be and needs to be done. What's more, the memory of our law enforcement and military folks engaged in the defense of both homeland and country is paramount.
Ullr
November 19, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
The article says he is free on $25,000 bond? That can't be correct, can it?
bawalker
November 19, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Anyone who takes a life like this or in any fashion deserves to have their life taken as punishment and standard setting deterrent for others to think twice before pulling the trigger or taking anothers life.
jimmy
November 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I'll remember Sam, his wife and son in my prayers. This is a tragedy for sure but please save the debate for a more appropriate time. Springs Regular thanks, I'm sorry i never got to meet Sam.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I am also sorry that I did not get to personally meet Sam. From the article it appears that he was shot by the wife of the bad guy. None of this would have occurred had the bad guy not believed he was immune to jail time. Apparently all he ever received for his previous bads was probation. Ridiculous that a wonderful husband had his life snuffed out and his family is left to suffer. Hopefully Seven Springs will help his family and have a contribution pot for the Springs visitors to drop some money into.
God Bless Sam and his family,
The Colonel smile
tromano
November 21, 2008
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Just to clarrify Springs Regular is also named Sam. This isn't the same Sam is it?

Either way this is a horrible tragedy. RIP.
SkiBumMSP
November 22, 2008
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
Originally Posted By: SpringsRegular
Today the world lost a fine Patroller and an even better man. Sam was a great patroller. He was the first Snowboard patroller at Seven Springs and set the standard by which all others are judged. I watched him grow from a nervous kid to one of the best patrollers I have ever had the pleasure of working beside. Rest peacefully Sam....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08324/929035-100.stm

Being a fellow patroller myself at another mountain, it is always hard to hear the loss of one of our own. I may have met him in the past when I was skiing up there at Seven Springs a couple of years ago, but don't recall.

May God bless. Prayers are with his family as well as the Seven Springs Ski Patrol.
SpringsRegular
November 24, 2008
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
Tim..no..it was not me.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?