Early Openings and DCSkiers
9 posts
8 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
All DCSkiers are justifiably excited about the early resort openings and the conditions that are likely this weekend. This is the earliest I can remember multiple resort ski slopes opening, and with incredible conditions for this time of year.
But we have to do our part....if possible DCSkiers need to try to get out and visit a resort for a day or hour of skiing! Why, because money talks (especially in these troubled economic times) and the resorts will not be quite so eager to open in future years, despite similar conditions, if it is a money losing proposition. I preach, unfortunately I have other commitments, but I urge my fellow DCSkiers to get out this weekend if at all possible.
Enjoy the slopes,
The Colonel:)
scootertig
November 18, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Ironically, we plan to hit Hidden Valley (if they open... fingers crossed!), which will require no money. We'll definitely stop in for a beer or two, though, so we can provide some benefit....

aaron
langleyskier
November 18, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I hopefully will be right there with you aaron, im thinking hidden valley on the 28th
appskiah
November 18, 2008
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
i'm hoping to head over to whitegrass on saturday. i emailed timberline promising i'd show up if they open this saturday. no dice.
langleyskier
November 18, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I have tried the email thing for liberty, roundtop, whtetail, and mass but every one has given the same lame response saying that they will blow whenever they get an extended period of snowmaking temps. Ironically the roundtop response came at the same time as Whitetail was blowing at around 3 in the afternoon (warmest time of the day this time of year) proving that they could have easily made snow from last night consistently throughout today. Not cool.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 18, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Snowshoe opens this weekend! I will be there this Friday
GGNagy
November 19, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
My wife called HV this morning, and they said they are trying VERY HARD to have something to open this weekend. The decision will be made on Friday. If that happens, I will be there saturday.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
November 19, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
I am looking at Snowshoe for Sunday! A 30 inch dump so far!
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
http://www.snocountry.com/article.php/20081119142119997
The Skiing Weatherman is back with his Winter prediction. I have not found his predictions to be very accurate. He says great early winter followed by a warmer than normal January and February.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to make to the mountains this weekend but I will be skiing at HV on 11/28/08. If we can ski again in April, that will give us a 6 month season!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?