Laurel Mountain
1 post
1 user
rjsherrin
November 17, 2008
Member since 09/28/2005 🔗
145 posts
This is the latest I've received. It doesn't say much. This is from Senator White's office.

your email inquiry was forwarded to me as I cover the Westmoreland County portion of Senator White's district. Please let me begin by thanking you for contacting Senator White with your concerns. As you may know, Laurel Mountain ski slopes have a history dating back to the 1930's. The Mellon family originally operated it as a private ski resort before turning it over to the Commonwealth in 1962. Currently, Somerset Trust Company is in control of most of the assets for the ski resort, including buildings and infrastructure. I believe Somerset Trust also holds control over the Village assets/properties.

I'm sure you realize the ski slopes are located within Laurel Mountain State Park which is under direction of the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR). DCNR is annually allocated Capital Budget monies to use for improvements on various park and recreational facilities in the Commonwealth's state park system. Additionally, the Governor has absolute discretion to use Capital Budget funds on a limited number of projects he supports. From what we understand, Seven Springs is currently in negotiations with DCNR staff in Harrisburg (the highest level) - our office is NOT involved in this process. I've placed several calls to Somerset Trust officials to determine who it is you may contact in reference to questions on the Village issues and have yet to hear back from them. I will continue to try reaching them and will pass along any information received.

Again, thank you for contacting Senator White.

Gina Jones

Senator Don White - 41st District

Westmoreland County Office

Murrysville, PA

724-327-2422 (phone)

724-327-2436 (fax)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.