Laurel Mountain Wish List
17 posts
9 users
6k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 13, 2008
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Since we've been hearing things are on track to open for the 09-10 season I thought it might be fun to write up a wish list for the things you'd like to see at Laurel.

What improvements would you like to see, what do you think should remain the same? What is the essential character of Laurel and how should that be enhanced? Be particular or be general, tells us about a single issue or broad appeal.

Keep in mind the no slope side lodging and overnight stay on premises restriction. I don't want a pure fantasy list but realistic, attainable improvements.

We all can agree on 100% snow making or another Quad lift so give me ideas such as lift placement, new trails and where they should go, new services. What trails needs to be improved and what trails should remain the same?

rjsherrin
November 13, 2008
Member since 09/28/2005 🔗
145 posts
You're right about 100% snow making. That to me would be first. I would like another slope next to Lower Wildcat. George told me there was an area steeper than the Lower Wildcat. I have loved that slope since I was a child. The idea of no lodging on the slopes is ok by me. I love the view and nature setting. I am happy to drive there. I hope if it does open, there will again be cabin rentals in the Village. I would like to see the Village become approved for building. I had a cabin I sold back when George had the Resort and am still getting calls to rent throughout the year.

Wish number 1: Get it open with snow making
Wish number 2: Add terrain for all levels of difficulty
Wish number 3: Add a couple of lifts. I would love one just for the lower wildcat and adjoining slopes.

If given a fourth wish, I wish someone would run water and sewer so I can start digging a foundation.
Heather
November 13, 2008
Member since 02/24/2005 🔗
170 posts
Your cabin is currently for sale by owner if your interested in being villager again.

1. get the place open
2. move tubing park behind the maint area
3. put patrol house at top of hill not halfway down
4. replace double w/quad
5. snow making on dream highway to start (i am not being greedy YET!)
6. Make the Wildcat Lounge BIGGER!!!!
hockeydave
November 14, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
My only wish is for the state to keep their promise of funding Laurel, because without that, Laurel is done.

By the way, I heard that the Nuttings now have last call at all 7S bars at 11:45PM with everybody out by 12:30AM. Not that this affects me in any way, but I'm curious if anyone can confirm this. My own personal opinion is that they ought to outlaw alcohol and legalize cannabis, because I've never met anybody with "marijuana muscles".
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
November 14, 2008
2,038 posts
What do all of you view as the Laurel 'brand'? What is it that makes Laurel what it is and do you think that that 'something' is essential to Laurel's survival?

Good ideas so far but I want you all to assume Laurel will open next season and the state funding is in place. Perhaps there won't be enough cash left to make additions to the trail count or major expansions to the lodge after snow making and lift improvements. I think that those two items are already set. If not, then they should be but lets assume that they are.

Example, Heather would like to see snowmaking on Dream Highway. Assuming that this will be the case, how could Dream Highway be changed, i.e. the infamous rocky corner, to make for easier snowmaking and grooming?

Another example, Lower Wildcat already has snowmaking but expert trails often pose too great a challenge for the vast majority of intermediate skies. Should Lower be made more intermediate friendly?

Considering that water resources are scares should money be invested in waterless sewage technologies? How about a wind turbine to supply the resorts energy needs?

Use you imagination but keep it attainable, what do you think?
rjsherrin
November 14, 2008
145 posts
Its funny you mention wind turbine. The final year before Seven Springs ran it, I had mentioned to George about wind energy and had a company that wanted to conduct a 1 year test to see if it would be adventageous to put towers for wind energy on top. They felt positive it would work. They would foot the bills for construction and for the three months it was open, the electric would be next to nothing for the resort.

I would hope Lower Wildcat stayed like it is. There is alot of area that can be made beginner and intermediate friendly. There is alot of acreage for more slopes.

(What is it that makes Laurel what it is)
A paradise. Secluded in the forest with great slopes and a very friendly atmosphere. The slopes are a little bit tougher but thats what I like. Like I had said in the past, we were using a condo on the slopes of Hidden Valley and were driving to Laurel Mountain every day. The kids were learning how to ski at Laurel. I can remember some windy days where all you had to do was to stand up on the beginner slope and you were stopped.
RobertW
November 14, 2008
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
- Keep Laurel "Old School". We don't need the Tubing Park, Terrain Park or any of that other stuff. 7 Springs has plenty to keep the "Park Rats" busy.

- In the 70's/80's (when there was more snow and less growth), we used to ski the Double Chair's lift line and the old T-Bar line into Lower Wildcat. These areas could be cleaned up and would make for some variety when doing laps of LWC.

- Clean up and widen (but not to the point where the "charm" is removed) Lower Dream Highway to give Intermediates more choices on that side of the mountain.

- Clean up the narrow turn between Upper and Lower Broadway.

I could think of more, but this will do for now.

It's interesting that you mention wind turbine power. I remember reading years ago that Herman Dupre was involved in a Hydro project that he hoped would supply power to 7 Springs (not directly but through credits). I've never heard if that came to fruition. It is interesting though in light of this that 7 Springs went all-electric in their air supply system this year. Or maybe it was just the high cost of Diesel...
jimmy
November 14, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
RobD you're just kidding, right? Lower Wildcat is the thing that drew me to Laurel and is kind of unique in the Laurel Highlands. Move the tubing park somewhere and Heather, I'm not sure about making the lounge bigger but i'm willing to participate in a long term feasability study with yinz next year grin .
JohnL
November 14, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Example, Heather would like to see snowmaking on Dream Highway. Assuming that this will be the case, how could Dream Highway be changed, i.e. the infamous rocky corner, to make for easier snowmaking and grooming?

Another example, Lower Wildcat already has snowmaking but expert trails often pose too great a challenge for the vast majority of intermediate skies. Should Lower be made more intermediate friendly?

Should JohnL club Rob over the head? Yes! Will Jimmy help? Yes! grin

Dude, what are you thinking?

Snow making on Dream Highway - yes! Changing the width, grading of DH, no! It may be the best trail on the mountain. Plenty of other spots to cut a more accessible intermediate trail.

I agree that there were too many struggling lower-level intermediates on Lower Wildcat (I think I wrote about that on my first trip report for Laurel 3-4 years ago.) Best solution is to cut another top-bottom intermediate trail (not sure where that would be best located; most likely somewhere between Wildcat and Broadway.)

Cleaning out some of the debris near the old T-bar line and under/to the side of the Wildcat Double could open up some very nice steep lines, but possibly too tough for many.

In order: snow making on Dream Highway, cutting a single new top to bottom intermediate trail, and add some better snow making on the trails near Broadway; this would be an excellent start (if not the final destination.) Maybe also expand the beginner and tubing facilities, add some type of fun park for children (see below.)

I think if Laurel Mtn tries caters to families with small children (this may require non-ski facilities) and the PA version of Mad River Glen types, it could make a go of it. I would hate for the mountain to be graded over to handle significantly higher crowds; it that happened, it would lose the magic that made it worth saving in the first place.

One more gratuitous dig at Rob - Preview Post works fine for me. cool
JohnL
November 14, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I have to disagree with RobW. I think terrain parks, tubing parks, et al are needed for Laurel to survive as a viable business. Plus they don't take up much real estate.

If possible, I'd like to keep the trail widening and re-grading to a minimum, but that may not be feasible. mad
rjsherrin
November 14, 2008
145 posts

I agree that there were too many struggling lower-level intermediates on Lower Wildcat (I think I wrote about that on my first trip report for Laurel 3-4 years ago.) Best solution is to cut another top-bottom intermediate trail (not sure where that would be best located; most likely somewhere between Wildcat and Broadway.)

The picture taken from the air looks like the other side of the quad has an uncut area not as steep as the current slopes. It looks like slopes put in here could come out to the quad.

http://www.skilaurelmountain.com/photos/newaerial.jpg
November 14, 2008
2,038 posts
Please do not assume the questions I pose are positions I hold.

Just a few of my thoughts:

Leave Lower as it is, skiers left is groomed, skiers right with double fall line allowed to bump up as it always has been.

Dream Highway: snowmaking but round out some of the switchbacks especially rocky corner (the last one at the bottom) for better traffic flow and less snow erosion. Ideally, I would cut Dream more in the fall line where it currently drops onto what the most recent trail map calls the Slot down to a new chair terminus that would now be closer to the Wildcat warming hut.

Innsbruck: Round out switch backs, same reasons as Dream. Remember, these trails were cut before modern snowmaking and grooming but also eliminate the intersections with the quad chair life line (also known as Lincoln Highway). This would give beginners their own dedicated trail away from intermediates. Care must be taken to respect the historic nature of this Hannes Schneider designed trail but we should not have to ski on a museum display.

Broadway: another Hannes Schneider classic, don't do anything to this trail including the somewhat narrow slot between Upper and Lower Broadway because.....

Lincoln Highway: widen and put snowmaking on the quad chair line to provide another intermediate trail down the mountain. It runs parallel to Broadway so it would eliminate the first headwall and narrow slot on Broadway that provides so much trouble for novice skiers looking to improve their skills. Lincoln would be the next progression after Innsbruck. After that would come Broadway then Dream.

Laurel Run, Snow Bowl, and Ski Top: All must have snowmaking. Snow Bowl would have to be re-contoured for snowmaking and grooming. Ski Top should be restored by removing the tubing park (relocate elsewhere if necessary but it does take a lot of precious snow) Laurel Run should be continued down the fall line to provide a companion trail to Wildcat.

Lifts: The double should be replaced by a quad and relocated toward the Wildcat warming hut with the upper terminus closer to the lodge. The Lincoln Highway quad should be relocated with the lower terminus on the skiers right of Hegan's Cut and the upper terminus roughly where it is now. An easy crossover from the bottom of Timber Top down to the new loading area will bring novice skies to the lift.

Laurel is and should remain a mountain for the dedicated skier and their families. It should not become a feeder to Seven Springs, it should not become another Seven Springs. Laurel attracts advanced skiers looking for a nature oriented recreational experience. This is what I see as Laurel's brand.

JohnL, I could not review this post, must be my lap top and my desk top.
November 14, 2008
2,038 posts
Here's a few images to help the discussion along:

imp - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2008
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
Ok it worked
Dream highway needs to go above Audi"s run and around the rocky corner. This will impact the goat path, but when the Quad goes from the old Tbar start up to above the clorination building that area becomes lift served..
bulldoze the tubing park, fill it in!!
put a lake at the bottom of the half pipe for water (it has two good springs there) off lynx drop down beside Lower wildcat
thru the bowl and out by the end of deer path. That is where the real drop is.
Widen deerpath and put in real snowmaking lines.
cut the glades that run from the maintance building to oak pond.
that should get yo a good start.
Do not put a lake where the Quad loads

imp
November 14, 2008
2,038 posts
imp, People think I know a lot about the Mountain but I really am a relative newcomer. Folks like you and the Laurel's old guard are needed to help develop Laurel as it should be developed.
November 17, 2008
2,038 posts
Come on folks, over 400 views but only 14 replies? It only takes a few minutes to register and share your thoughts. This is your chance to rebuild a ski area. How can you resist?
Buckeye Skier
November 28, 2008
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
Just found this thread last night so I'll put in my 2 cents worth.
First thing would be snowmaking on Dream Highway. That gives you an alternative to Wildcat on that side of the mountain.
Then get snowmaking on other trails that don't have it.

I like the idea of extending Laurel Run down the mountain. Maybe make the goat trail an official trail. I'm guessing that's the trail to the skiers right of DH. I had someone tell me about on one trip but never went over there myself.

It looks like a couple of runs could fit between Wildcat and Broadway. That could be interesting.

Since this is a wish list I wish they could expand to the skier's left of Innsbruck. From the picture it looks like there is a lot of area and maybe more vertical drop available.

I think the Gunnar quad in place of the double is a good idea.

I would love to see Laurel get going again. It is such a different experience from 7S. I know we would spend more money in PA if Laurel opens. And I would try to get my friends from around here to give it a try. I remember the first day we skied there. We couldn't believe there weren't more people. It is just one awesome place!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?