Timberline Rumor
9 posts
8 users
1k+ views
JohnL
March 9, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts
Is it true that Timberline management has requested that the mountain be annexed by the state of Virginia? [Wink]

(Note winky smiley!)
Roger Z
March 9, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Virginia? Didn't I hear a rumor that Intrawest was going to buy that?
jimmy
March 9, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Intrawest? I heard it was Bill Bright. [Confused]
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 9, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,992 posts
Intrawest tried to buy it some years back when the resort was in financial trouble. The owners backed out at the 11th hour and ended up selling land to the Nature Conservancy instead to raise capital. The Nature Conservancy, in turn, transferred the land to the Wildlife Refuge.

This land deal with Nature Conservancy hurt the long-term viability of the resort because it removed much Timberline's expansion territory. Without that parcel, few investors see much value in the resort because there is so little land left to develop. [Frown]
ski_guy_59
March 9, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Wish they wouldn't have sold that land. How much did the weekend storm add to the base in the valley?
Norsk
March 10, 2004
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
And thus ended hopes for a major league ski resort within 3 hours of DC (post Corridor H).

Not that I'm ever opposed to the good work of the Nature Conservancy, but T-line and the CV are already developed. Wouldn't preservation have been better served by buying land in an area of the WV high country that is not yet developed?
Roger Z
March 10, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Nonsense! It just makes it more difficult to accomplish those hopes, that's all. I can name three or four different locations that could facilitate a major ski resort within three hours of DC (post Corridor H). Granted only one of those is west of the Allegheny Divide. All we need is someone with vision and cash. Maybe since we all have the vision we can raise the cash and build Mt. DCSki. [Big Grin]
bawalker
March 10, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Hrm, I saw we band together and when I inherit Bill Gates fortune or something close to it when my business succeeds, I'll buy out all the land needed and build a resort with minimal development and out of pocket expenses for 6 person chair lifts etc. Whose with me on this?

Ok well I need for my business to become worth multi-billions but when it does, watch out bill bright!
Yellowdog24
March 16, 2004
Member since 03/16/2004 🔗
4 posts
On the positive side for homeowners (like myself) in Timberline, it means the scenery will not change drastically in the foreseeable future. I would rather have a second-rate ski slope with great views of unspoiled mountains than a resort run by a development-crazed mega-corp which would only be interested in packing as many homes and stores as possible and turning it into a cross between Northern Virginia and Disney.

Seen it in Colorado and elsewhere. No thanks.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.