Closest skiing on Nov 20?
14 posts
8 users
4k+ views
scootertig
November 11, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
The title pretty much covers it... My girlfriend has a rare day off on November 20, and we were thinking it would be fun to get some early season turns in. The original hope was for HV (and the free November skiing), but it looks like that'll be about a week too soon for them.

So, any guesses as to who may have the lifts turning by November 20? We will drive, and flying is not an option (we both have to be at work on Wednesday the 19th and Friday the 21st).

What's the "closest" option? I realize that may mean a ridiculous drive to NY or VT. I think we're good for anything under about 6 hours, but if we have to go a little further, we could probably be persuaded.

Is this a lost cause?

aaron
langleyskier
November 11, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
if you are looking for any major amount of open terrain then your best bet would probably be a VT resort. Killington or Okemo would probably be your best bets up there. Otherwise, besides maybe Jack Frost/Big Boulder opening after a few nights of snowmaking a small beginner hill I cant really see any other areas opening by the 20th. However, if you were talking about the weekend after thanksgiving that would be a big difference, probably multiple areas will be open within a 6 hr drive.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 12, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Probably going to be mission impossible. Snowshow is open at Thanksgiving sometimes, but you're a week early for that. I noticed Windham NY (6 hrs) has a scheduled opening day of 12/12. Hunter (also ~6 hrs) shows nothing on event calendar for month of Nov 2008. Langley probably right about VT being best chance. Mt Snow (~8 hrs)is a little closer than Kill/Okemo and has been opening early in recent years. But VT is a long way to drive for one day on 5-10 slopes.
Of course, never say never. Catskills got 2 feet of snow a couple weeks ago. If something like that happens on Nov 18, you might get your wish.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
November 12, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Don't forget North Carolina! They have been open and open quick when the temp drops! It could be more interesting and different.

As for North I recommend Hunter if they get a good jump on it soon.
langleyskier
November 12, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
i did check hunter before i posted, hey have great snowmaking but on their snow report they do not even mention the possibility of starting snowmaking before the 21st, too bad. But Jim is right, a good dumping and a lot of resorts could quickly change their minds.
scootertig
November 16, 2008
365 posts
I'm bumping this in light of the potential for some wintry weather in the next few days...

Any chance that there will be a "local" place that will decide to open (I'll count any of the Pocono areas as part of that, too). What about Whitegrass? Would that be worthwhile for someone who doesn't tele, doesn't XC, and has never earned turns before?

aaron
comprex
November 16, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: scootertig

Any chance that there will be a "local" place that will decide to open (I'll count any of the Pocono areas as part of that, too).

I doubt it; there's a spanking good chance of 60+ degrees Sunday/Monday of the week after.

Quote:

What about Whitegrass? Would that be worthwhile for someone who doesn't tele, doesn't XC, and has never earned turns before?

If Chip is open, yes, it is -very- worth it IMO for someone who wants to learn to XC/tele. Otherwise it's a pretty monotonous slog up from the lodge, figure ~25 mins hike lodge to top.
langleyskier
November 17, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
actually poconos will probably be open later this week. Jack frost/Big boulder started snowmaking operations tonight and will open asap. Will mos likely be very minimal open terrain for this weekend. And i would not say good chance for 50's or 60's early next week at any mnt resort. It is possibly temps will moderate some but i really dont see 60's.
hockeydave
November 17, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Calling for a 8-12 inches of new swnow in the Laurels by Tuesday afternoon, on top of the 3 inches ereceived yesterday. Checked 7S webcam and they're making snow (Monday 5:00 AM). Don't be surprised if HV and 7S are open this weekend with limited terrain.
comprex
November 17, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: langleyskier
And i would not say good chance for 50's or 60's early next week at any mnt resort. It is possibly temps will moderate some but i really dont see 60's.

Hope you're right.
langleyskier
November 17, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
Originally Posted By: comprex
Hope you're right.

me too! grin

but i really do not see any major warm up before the week after thanksgiving, below normal temps look to presist for the remainder of the month. Possibly 1-2 days of "warm" up (to around AVG) early in the week but temps should drop again before the holiday.
crunchy
November 18, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
Originally Posted By: scootertig
I'm bumping this in light of the potential for some wintry weather in the next few days...

Any chance that there will be a "local" place that will decide to open (I'll count any of the Pocono areas as part of that, too). What about Whitegrass? Would that be worthwhile for someone who doesn't tele, doesn't XC, and has never earned turns before?

aaron

whitegrass is 100% today and should be rockin' well into the weekend. go break your XC cherry and enjoy the whole mountain experience and see why the place is so special. it will take you more than a season to ski that whole place and make you a better overall skier in the process. go putt around the flatter snowfarm to get used to the free-heel feeling before hittin the trails and there are also wide open gradual sloping areas around to practice turns without trees, and you can always fall back on your downhill skills like parallell turns, snowplow, hockeystop etc if you feel out of control coming down. you may like it so much that the only time you go back to local lift-served is when there is no more natural snow smile
scootertig
November 18, 2008
365 posts
Do they rent stuff there? I don't have anything but standard alpine downhill gear...

aaron
Jimski
November 18, 2008
Member since 03/5/2008 🔗
44 posts
FYI, on the radio this morning I heard there's a possibility of a big dump of snow on the MD panhandle later this week. However, I just called Wisp and they said they are not prepared to open this weekend. They will open the day after Thanksgiving, "weather permitting".

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.