Definitely feeling it getting close!
14 posts
8 users
3k+ views
scootertig
November 3, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Just got back from Ski Center. Purchased Hotronics as an early (!) Christmas present for my girlfriend. She has serious cold issues that keep her from enjoying herself, so this should be a huge improvement.

I also dropped off my skis and bindings for mounting and calibration!

All I need now are some poles (we sold our old ones at a ski swap, expecting we'd find some to buy, and didn't...).

Planning to ski at HV in November, if the weather cooperates, which means that the first day on snow SHOULD be less than 3 weeks away!

aaron
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
November 3, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Go pole-less! You will never ski with them again!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 3, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Believe there is a swap at Pro-Fit this Sunday, might be a chance to pick up good used poles.
scootertig
November 3, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I know there's one at Alpine, and then the "Ski Expo" (hardy har har), so I'll probably drop in at those... Pro-Fit is like 2 minutes from my house, so if there's one there, I'll check that, too.

Oldensign - I don't know if I need the poles for the downhill part of skiing as much as the flat and uphill parts... I can only skate for so long!

aaron
comprex
November 3, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

It's a FESTival of swapuppapups this weekend.

Ski Haus Glen Burnie Sat.
Ski Expo Fri-Sun
Ski Chalet Chantilly Sat-Sun
Pro-Fit Sun
Alpine Sat-Sun

Ski Chalet Arlington is NEXT weekend and That's All Folks.
David
November 3, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: oldensign
Go pole-less! You will never ski with them again!

I've tried a few times and it seems every time I end up saying that I will never ski without them again...
jimmy
November 4, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Yeh if the snow is nice i'd rather skate than pole.
comprex
November 4, 2008
1,326 posts
I need to teech you guyz the alpine V2 laugh
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
The what?
The Colonel smile
comprex
November 4, 2008
1,326 posts
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Originally Posted By: comprex
http://www.roberts-1.com/xcski/skate/motion/v2/index.htm

Whenever I read descriptions of cross country skate technique I get totally confused. I can just imagine myself trying to do it between glances at the instructions and being reduced to a quivering mass of protoplasm tied in knots on the ground. To actually see these techniques demonstrated is a revelation. It is in fact easy and rhythmic. (Not easy aerobically but easy in the motions executed.) Why the descriptions have to be so complicated I don't know.
comprex
November 4, 2008
1,326 posts
I think part of the problem is that the writer is trying to be technically complete and technically correct while at the same time creating context for readers from scratch.

Most XC stuff is just modified walking gaits.

Ever seen a full-on, technically correct description of walking, written for someone who doesn't have the visual context?

We do need better motion language; we shouldn't have to teach milling wheat into flour every time we want to make spaghetti.

Anyhow, the point of my above posts was only to show the possibility of double pole plants during a skate, particularly when weight needs to go forward (against alpine boot stiffyness).

The "alpine V2" is just a little mongrel stroke I found that works for me for really long skates (squish down on power, push into a whole body extension on top the new ski).

I didn't find it by instruction; I found it by playing with the double pole plant idea and the idea of extending the upper body along the new stance ski.

I fully expect at least some readers on here are athletic enough and body-aware enough to experiment and find stuff like it on their own.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I like skating and would like to become decent at nordic skating. The trouble is that I like making turns more so I spend a lot more time skinning than I do skating. smirk
comprex
November 4, 2008
1,326 posts
Too funny grin

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?