Weekend in Canaan valley
10 posts
5 users
4k+ views
snowglobe
October 7, 2008
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts

I had a great time in Canaan valley during the past weekend. The foliage was almost at peak and it was gorgeous. Just want to share some photos I took there!

Foggy morning in Canaan Valley

Behind the wild goose lodge. I thought there was a lake but it was actually fog!

In Blackwater falls state park

Dolly sod -- like what many of you said, truly an awe-inspiring place. It blew my mind!
snowglobe
October 7, 2008
150 posts

More photos from Dolly Sod
snowglobe
October 7, 2008
150 posts
Hmm.. seem like photos are not loading anymore.

The link is here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nathapolw/CanaanScenery
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 7, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
snowglobe,
When I click the link I get the following message:
"Google
Error

404 NOT_FOUND
Unable to process request."

The Colonel smile
snowglobe
October 7, 2008
150 posts
Hmm.. sorry again seem like there is a bug in Picasa 3.

Please try this link instead:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nathapolw/DropBox
crunchy
October 8, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
awesome pics! if you were there on sunday afternoon, i think i mighta heard you all. i was riding on rocky ridge trail and i heard a group of people off trail below somewhere having fun! smile

camera broke on me so had to borrow one so i could snap a few also...

looking west at canaan mountain from cortland rd.

dolly sods north trailhead behind tline:

more sods:
Kris
October 8, 2008
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts
In that picture of the windmills, are they adding more? It looks like there are 2 more being built in that pic...
kwillg6
October 8, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
Hey, Crunchy. I heard a rumor that they were going to ban all mountain biking from the sods in the near future. In fact, the rumor went so far as to eliminate vehicular traffic in and through the sods as well. It's only a rumor and I hope it remains just a rumor. Have you heard anything about it?
crunchy
October 8, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
yeah there is a bill in the senate right now that would make the dolly sods north and roaring plains areas designated wilderness areas. and "mechanized vehicles" are prohibited in designated wilderness areas. which means bikes, etc would not be allowed. so we have been biking the heck out of it while we still can. after knowing how epic the riding is up there, its gonna hurt real bad not being able to ride anymore up there so we are trying to enjoy it while we can. I love taking mountain bikers up there for the first time because they are simply blown away at the riding and the scenery! to show you what some of the riding is like here's some pretty good bikers i took up laborday weekend when i played tourguide and camera man. (altho you kinda have to be a good biker to ride up there i guess) laborday sods epic!

i think this thread just got hijacked.. my apologies frown
snowglobe
October 8, 2008
150 posts
Crunchy, too bad I missed the Rocky ridge trail I was trying to go up freeland rd to access Dolly sod but the last part of the road got quite muddy and it 's kinda tough for my Honda Accord to pass so we decided to back out (should have brought different vehicle!)

Anyway, I went to Bear rock area and it blew my mind! Such a beautiful place!

Look like you have a great time on labor day. I really wish to go mtn biking there some days too -- must be awesome.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?