Best way to SnowShoe
13 posts
9 users
2k+ views
bawalker
March 6, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Does anyone have suggestions at thebest way to SnowShoe? I've never been there before and looking to possibly go this week. If I remember right at Seneca Rocks it's possible to take 33 towards Cass/Green Bank and get there that way right?
andy
March 6, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Thats the way a huh ahuh I LIKE IT!!!Your map Or computer & your own navigation is the best way!
bawalker
March 6, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
As I've learned with online navigation in the past, they tend to not be as accurate about road conditions or under/overstating time.
andy
March 6, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
Sorry for thaT LAST POST. In the mtn's the map might not show the fastest way! Your way thru green bank is the way to go..have fun!!
gatkinso
March 8, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
The best way to the Shoe is to jump in the car, stock some goodies, hold your peepee for as long as you can, and put the pedal to the metal keeping a keen eye out for the bears that tend to prowl the roads in WV.
warren
March 11, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Hello,
I've been to snowshoe many times. It's possible to get there from Northern Va (near Dulles) in just a little less than 4 hours with normal driving speeds. I take 66 West, 81 South, 33 West, 28 South, 66 (WV 66 twords Cass), and right onto the back entrance of Snowshoe drive. This will bring in the back by the Top of the World complex.

I'm heading there next weekend [Big Grin] (3/19 - 3/21)

Have Fun,
-Warren- [Smile]
snowbird
August 18, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
best way to snowshoe is to skip it. hop on a flight to slc and go to little cottonwood canyon. you wont be disappointed. showshoe is as over-rated as it gets.
snowbird and solitude are the place to really experience some skiing. if you are looking for skiing in the east go to north carolina. or cloudmont in Al. i hear there is great skiing there.
andy
August 18, 2004
Member since 03/6/2004 🔗
175 posts
I hope we can skip snowshoe in a few years when "almost heaven" @ MPC or Tory @job knob or both are developed! If they get developed SS will become the "southern mtn" Ps. took the H2 corr route 3 weeks ago to canaan & was amazed at the construction.There are some chesapeake bridge size pilons out there!!Riding down below the new route in a gulley washer with washouts & twists & turns on the old rd & looking up at the new const was FRUSTERATING I wanted to be up on the new rd so bad!I cannot wait...Bring on vermont south..west va style!
snowcone
August 19, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
For snowbird,

Some of us don't have the requisite amount of free time and finances to do SLC on more than once or twice per season basis. That is one of the reasons we spend 3-4 long weekends a season at Snowshoe; proximity, 4.5 hours door-to-door versus 7-8 hours minimum travel time to SLC.

Another reason is good, relatively inexpensive instructors, the vast majority of whom have their PSI level 2 or 3 . Trips to Snowshoe are trips to hone skill sets. The upper level [4-8] group clinics on weekdays when there are few takers, are still one of the best deals around; $35 for 2 hours for what is often a private or semi-private lesson.

We do group lessons plus privates so that when we -do- have the opportunity to head west to SLC or Tahoe we can enjoy the challenge with confidence.
wgo
August 19, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Man,

Seems like this thread turns up every couple of weeks or so...

Snowbird! We all know that Utah rocks! But WV is what we have close to home, so we make do. Can't fly out west every weekend, ya know?

OTOH, I knew some people who once chose to drive out to snowshoe from michigan rather than fly out west for their yearly ski trip. Now THAT has always mystified me.
SeaRide
August 19, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Quote:

original by wgo
OTOH, I knew some people who once chose to drive out to snowshoe from michigan rather than fly out west for their yearly ski trip. Now THAT has always mystified me.

I 've met a young couple from Tennessee driving 9 hours to Snowshoe WV because the lady has a fear of flying.
JR
August 19, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
Geesh, I don't know why anyone would waste their time in Utah when they could go to ANY of the moons of Jupiter. They NEVER have freeze thaws, they have snow year round, their vertical drop is like...probably really big, and its only a few planets away. Utah is WAAAAY overrated. Ski Europa or don't ski at all!!!!
warren
August 19, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
JR,
You said it Let's get a DCSki trip together....

-Warren-

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.