When is the right time for fall foliage in Canaan?
7 posts
5 users
9k+ views
snowglobe
September 8, 2008
Member since 03/12/2007 🔗
150 posts
Hi all,

I and a group of friends are planning my first trip to Canaan Valley / Davis area. We have never been to the valley yet and we are planning do some foliage peeping and hiking in early October. I know that it's probably difficult to predict but which weekend would you pick : 3-4-5 October or 10-11-12 October?

We are planning to hike around the blackwater falls, Seneca Rock and Spruce knob. What are the trails and places that we should not miss?

Any recommendations about place to stay / dinning / events are also welcomed. Currently, from our research, we are planning to rent a property at Old Timberline or maybe staying at Bright Morning inn. We 've also heard that Purple fiddle is a good place.

Thanks!
crunchy
September 8, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
the earlier october weekend should be the best. make damn sure you hike in dolly sods north too, thats a 'do not miss' hike if you are in the area. (enter from the old trailhead in canaan.. not via laneville rd.. drive up the mountain via freeland rd/forest road 80 and park at the top, follow trail as it veers left to the trailhead in about a mile) anyway, it will blow your mind up there.. take rocky ridge trail all the way to the end and make a loop. Spruce Knob is about an hour away from canaan if you want to make the trek, but its pretty sweet and the highest point in the state. Make sure to hit huckleberry trail at the top of the mountain and judy springs. (its a hell of a mountain bike ride too!)

stay at bright morning inn if you can and support the local economy if you can. awesome breakfast right there, and lunch and dinner at places right out the door. rent some bikes at the bike store too and take a ride around blackwater falls st park right down the street. if you are into mountain biking, i could go on for days about where to ride. purple fiddle and mountain state brewpub in thomas are awesome places to chill later in the evenings. I'll see you there!

dolly sods north in the fall

kwillg6
September 9, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
Fall in the valley is very hard to judge. One year in the mid 90s all the leaves were gone by early October but last year they held on into November. This past weekend, there was some color already but not enough to write home about. Cool and crisp. This week it's going to dip into the 30s at night so the colors should start coming out. I agree with crunchy in that there is so much to do and too little time to do it. The annual Leaf Peepers festival in Davis is the last weekend in September but recently, not much color. The Oakland Festival is the first weekend in October and the Elkins Fall Festival is probably the next weekend. Done all of them and each was fun.
snowglobe
September 11, 2008
150 posts
Thanks Crunchy and kwillg6 for these helpful info!

I am surprised to know that they fall in the valley usually peak in late September -- that 's about the same time as North East Kingdom in Vermont!

Will definitely try the rocky ridge trail! Is there a place that we can rent a mountain bike around?
jonjon1
September 11, 2008
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
You can rent bikes at Blackwater Bikes in Davis (on the main strip -- William Ave).

I'm very partial to staying at the historic Meyer House in Davis. Meyerhousebandb.com

Have fun!!
snowglobe
September 11, 2008
150 posts
Thanks jon!

I assume that we can rent a bike there and ride to Blackwater falls state park without having to put a rack on the car?
David
September 11, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: snowglobe
Thanks jon!

I assume that we can rent a bike there and ride to Blackwater falls state park without having to put a rack on the car?

Actually, you can about throw a rock to Blackwater Falls SP from Blackwater Bikes. Ok, maybe if you have a really good arm. But yea, it is close.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?