9 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 3, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
The evidence;

1. Steep And Cheap still doesn't work for me. "Problem loading page" It works for everyone else in the world.

2. Went to hike in the Shenandoah National Park on Sun. My season pass from last year was expired so I inquired, with some doubt, if my brother-inn-law was correct that there is a senior lifetime pass to all NPs and public lands for a one-time fee of $10. Sure enough, Dick was right. The kicker is that you are eligible for this at 62!!! That means I have contributed about $400 to the National Park Service over the past 5 yrs. that I didn't need to pay. That would buy a senior shareholder unrestricted pass to Mad River Glen. (I'll buy one anyway.) Why aren't NPS employees trained to mention this pass to people who look like they might be of age? Great hiking; I did 2 separate short climbs to summits from the Skyline Drive.

3. Monday - an equally enjoyable Labor Day bike ride in spectacular weather on the Washington and Old Dominion Trail. http://www.wodfriends.org/map1.html
I start near Dulles Airport and ride to the end in Purcellville, then return. It's ~ 43 miles RT through rolling VA countryside. There is a 5 mile section between Leesburg and Purcellville that I call the green cathedral. You have to experience it. My ritual at the end of the ride is to stop at the Old Dominion brewpub at the side of the trail for a few cold ones and a good meal. There was nobody in the parking lot and a sign on the door. Oh well, they deserve a Labor Day holiday too. But no!!!!! The sign said they are closed forever, taken over by some (obviously braindead) outfit called Coastal Brewing Co.

What's next?
scootertig
September 3, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Denis -

The OD brewpub (and all of ODBC) was purchased by a partnership between Fordham Brewing and Anheuser-Busch. The decision to close the brewpub came down about a week ago (on the last Monday in August). Damn shame... It was previously one of my absolute favorite places, but ever since Jerry Bailey sold it, it had slowly lost its soul.

If you haven't tried it, you might check out Magnolia's, at the Purcellville end of the trail. It's a nice old mill that's been converted to a restaurant (just like Tuskie's in Leesburg... in fact, it's the same owners!). They've got a great beer list (about 12-15 taps, as I recall), and a reasonable selection of sandwiches and bar food (as well as a higher-end menu).

I live about 200 yards from the W&OD, just past the new bridge they're putting in for Battlefield Parkway. I think I know exactly where you're talking about with the Green Cathedral. It's great!

aaron
JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 3, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Sounds like a nice and active weekend for you Denis! I was cycling on the W&OD on Labor Day around mile markers 7-14. Too bad we didn't hook up, although I'm probably too slow for you on my yard sale beater bike. I do a slow roll on the W&OD almost every day between Apr and Oct, but have never been beyond Paeonian Springs ~mile 39, so I think I've missed the "green cathedral".
Beautiful weather we're having, maybe that's the real conspiracy. The whole month of August was conspicuously lacking in dog-days.
The last couple of posts in this thread include photos from my bike commute route: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=70780
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 3, 2008
2,337 posts
Beautiful Jim. It will have you in great shape for skiing too.
comprex
September 5, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
The Green Cathedral is where the W&OD passes the fairgrounds?

I know that stretch well.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 5, 2008
2,337 posts
It's roughly miles 40 - 42/43, where the banks are higher than the trail on one or both sides and old trees meet far above like gothic arches. The fairgrounds stretch is also very nice. My least favorite part is the relatively treeless stretch between Rt. 28 and the quarry. It feels like you're in an oven there on a sunny summer day. Shortly after that, approaching Leesburg you get into the shade and it is very nice the rest of the way.

I also like the Capital Crescent Trail, although it is a lot more heavily used by all kinds of folks so it is hard to ride at a steady pace. Capital Crescent is even more shaded than W&OD and on Sun., when cars are restricted, you can get a nice downhill ride back to Georgetown on Beach Drive and Rock Creek Parkway.
scootertig
September 5, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I live right at 32.5, where the coverage is pretty good... I think it's going to be very weird when that bridge is operational (the Battlefield Pkway extension). I really glad I don't live in the townhomes that back right up to the trail, they're really taking a hit to their view with the construction that's going on.

The good news is, I'll be able to easily bike to Wegmans once it's finished!

As far as other trails go, Jana and I have taken a real liking to the C&O Canal towpath. It's gorgeous, and mostly tree-covered. A ride from Point of Rocks to Harper's Ferry and back makes for a nice afternoon...

aaron

aaron
comprex
September 5, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: Denis
My least favorite part is the relatively treeless stretch between Rt. 28 and the quarry. It feels like you're in an oven there on a sunny summer day.

That part always feels like true horse country to me. Very refreshing after the urban slog from Falls Church, something neither the Reston nor Sterling stretch give.

Quote:
also like the Capital Crescent Trail, although it is a lot more heavily used by all kinds of folks so it is hard to ride at a steady pace. Capital Crescent is even more shaded than W&OD and on Sun., when cars are restricted, you can get a nice downhill ride back to Georgetown on Beach Drive and Rock Creek Parkway.

Ah, my home trail. On a bike, I only use the CCT for the return leg, tho, the outwards leg is River Rd past McKee-Besher then up to Purcellville, race the buzzards down Edward's ferry Rd to the Ferry, down 15 to Leesburg, turn right onto the W&OD at the battery shop.
Rickh
September 12, 2008
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

That "green cathedral" was almost lost until a few in Richmond came to their senses and decided to bury the new power lines...

As a Leesburg resident, thank you state government...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.