8 users
8k+ views
Rickh
August 22, 2008
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Preview of the coming Farmers Almanac.

http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/031815.html

It's that time of year to start wishing....
bawalker
August 23, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
If this summer has been any indication... we are by far in for a cold snowy winter. I'm amazed that here in WV even tonite in the middle of August it's 59* outside! Other years at this time I'd sleeping with a bajillion fans on because it's so hot and humid in the upper 80's at this time. There has only been one time in the 90's this summer here and that was back in mid-June when it did get really hot and humid for about two weeks. Since then the daytime highs mostly have been in the upper 80s with a few poking into the low 90s and disappearing into the 60s each night.

So much for GW. \:\)
bawalker
August 23, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
"The Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions should be getting an unusually wet or snowy February, the almanac said."

OH HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!
fishnski
August 23, 2008
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
The low temp reached 25 degrees on the 7th of august 1957 & also on the 29th of aug 1982 up at Canaan Valley....
Roger Z
August 23, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
We had a brutal winter last year- it wasn't ridiculously cold, there just weren't any breaks. From early December to March, we had one three day warm spell, one two day warm spell, and a few individual 60 degree days here and there. That was it. KC usually is all over the board in the winter- except that the cold spells will last 2-3 weeks (then we'll spend a week at 60, then back to winter). That didn't happen last winter.

The funny thing is, it's hard to notice but this pattern has been almost unabated through the summer. We had 2 real heat waves this summer, as well as some warmer-than-normal air in June, but this August has been downright September-ish, and July was too rainy to be much of anything. So we seem to be in the same below-normal pattern, it's just that normal is 90 this time of year so you don't notice it much.

No one out here is sure what to make of it. Will the pattern shift in the autumn? I can't remember seeing a below-normal temperature pattern persist this long back in MD (and no one can remember it out here), so I'm skeptical we'll still have it in place come winter. But who knows.
bawalker
August 23, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I know that if come September this pattern is in place, leaves start falling and it hits 40s at night, I'm going to be camped out on the front porch with snowboard in hand watching and waiting for the first flake. \:\)
fishnski
August 23, 2008
3,530 posts
& your nieghbors will be cking out their 1st flake camped out on the porch \:D (just joking)...I hope Kansas reverses back to a warm spell so we on the East coast can get into a cold pattern!
Roger Z
August 23, 2008
2,181 posts
Well Andy, if it's warm out here ain't no sweat off my back. As long as we get one decent snow for some cross-country skiing.

The nice thing about living in Kansas is that it really doesn't matter if we have a warm winter, it doesn't hurt the ski resorts. And it helps my heating bill tremendously. But, as you said, it's SOOOOOO nice watching it snow. So as long as we get a couple snowstorms, maybe even a 6-12 incher (those always seem to go to our south, and sometimes up to MO/IA border) a warm winter would be alright out here. I'll take the hit for all y'all! \:\)
Ullr
August 25, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I cant believe YOU guys are talking about THIS already! This WILL be a GREAT year in the mid atlantic, with LOTS of snow and VERY cold tempreatures. My GOOD friend MOUNTAIN MASHER called ME just the OTHER day to confirm this. Winter IS coming SOON, so get YOUR stuff ready cause it IS going to be a GREAT winter!
GGNagy
August 25, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
 Originally Posted By: Ullr
I cant believe YOU guys are talking about THIS already! This WILL be a GREAT year in the mid atlantic, with LOTS of snow and VERY cold tempreatures. My GOOD friend MOUNTAIN MASHER called ME just the OTHER day to confirm this. Winter IS coming SOON, so get YOUR stuff ready cause it IS going to be a GREAT winter!

You sure he didn't call to say the last tree was being removed from Blue Knob and that the holding ponds were being turned into year round beach lakes for 72 degree average January? \:\) \:\) \:\)
kwillg6
August 25, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
So........... It's winter wishing, is it? After years of researching, reading, wishing, and praying, I gave up. Yup! What happens, happens. Every year I listen to the likes of Andy or Ullr only to be disappointed. Inaccuweather will predict a can't miss storm only it misses. The NWS can say what it wants for long range, and the sod busters, pea planting guide is not any better. When and if it gets cold, I'll switch to winter beer and if and when it snows I'll rejoice, but I can't get excited after the track record of the past winter. Almost as sure a thing as a US finish in the 4x100 relay, HA!
fishnski
August 25, 2008
3,530 posts
Heyyy..I resemble that remark!...I got as good of a track record as the Farmers Alminac!!80 to 85 percent (prove me wrong)..If I was wrong it was by design..I gave you HOPE!..days of good feelings..waking up in the morning & making your wife B-fast because uncle Ski said there was a dump coming..By you bieng happy, your cheer spread thru your neighborhood & workplace...1 day of crashing down in flames is all that took...ever had a hangover?

PS...there will be a blizzard in early Nov to get this Party started WHITE!
skiTLINE
August 25, 2008
Member since 12/15/2004 🔗
230 posts
 Originally Posted By: fishnski
Heyyy..I resemble that remark!...I got as good of a track record as the Farmers Alminac!!80 to 85 percent (prove me wrong)..If I was wrong it was by design..I gave you HOPE!..days of good feelings..waking up in the morning & making your wife B-fast because uncle Ski said there was a dump coming..By you bieng happy, your cheer spread thru your neighborhood & workplace...1 day of crashing down in flames is all that took...ever had a hangover?

PS...there will be a blizzard in early Nov to get this Party started WHITE!

We spend Thanksgiving in valley and the last 3 have all been white :):):)
kwillg6
August 25, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
 Originally Posted By: fishnski

PS...there will be a blizzard in early Nov to get this Party
started WHITE!

OK, Andy. I hope u r rite. However, I refuse to buy in 2 the hype of a snowy and cold winter. I just may keep the golf clubs in the back of my car just in case.
Roger Z
August 25, 2008
2,181 posts
I just bought a plane ticket for a 5 day ski weekend in Park City. Yee haw! Unforuntately due to a diaspora spouse that's going to be my only western trip this season. \:\( (both for her being away and the lack of western skiing) If we get any snow here, I'll go up to Snow Creek and bum around with the racing team, they make a fun time of that little hole-in-the-bluffs in Iatan.

All that said- this winter is gonna suck. Change the lawnmower oil in October and check the A-C, you're gonna need it. ;\)

(reverse psychology, fellas...)

ps- DON'T even GET me started ABOUT Blue knoBB!!!!!!!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.