Somebody HELP!
15 posts
13 users
4k+ views
kwillg6
August 15, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I hate this time of year, all hot and sweaty, with the real season over 4 months away. What's right, if anything, with late summer and the dog days???? All I can think of is the opportunity to sit under a tree in a comfy chair with my cooler and sip my favorite summer beverage.
Can someone give me ANY other suggestions?
Leo
August 15, 2008
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Not to rub it in, but in southwestern PA, the last 2 weeks (if not more) have really been fall-like. Which is perfect for mountain biking, hiking, camping, etc. We have been in a very a-typical weather pattern for quite some time. At some point before the end of August, the dog days will return, I would think. In which case, chair, cooler and beer sounds just about right.
Roger Z
August 15, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
How's this, Kim? It snowed in the Colorado Highlands today. The Loveland webcam even recorded some of the action. My friend in Denver told me snow levels dropped to 10,000 feet (in mid August???). I think that's the first snow of the season up there!
OhioHillbillies
August 16, 2008
Member since 09/29/2007 🔗
30 posts
After sipping a cool adult beverage while lounging in his Brazilian Hammock , and reading the latest pages of "The Art of Swilling" Kim was inspired to start the season off with a sabaticcal crossing of the atlantic coast... ha ha.

hockeydave
August 16, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Just to follow up on Leo's post, it is currently 45 degrees in Southwest, Pa (yep, that's actually the name of the village where I live) at 6:30 AM, August 16th. It has been downright chilly at nights, however we have been getting a consistent 4:00PM afternoon rain for the past 2 weeks, similar to Florida. Very strange weather.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
August 17, 2008
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Kwillg6, keep in mind that we're now closer to the beginning of next season than we are to the end of last season. Tune your skis, check out the pre-season ski pass deals, and make plans for some ski overnights, weekends and maybe a Big Trip or two. Polish your excuses for a day off during the week.

... And remember to enjoy the mountains in the summer. Fall's first colors arrive in a month.

Cheers,
Woody
comprex
August 18, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
 Originally Posted By: bousquet19
Kwillg6, keep in mind that we're now closer to the beginning of next season than we are to the end of last season. Tune your skis, check out the pre-season ski pass deals, and make plans for some ski overnights, weekends and maybe a Big Trip or two.

Quoted for truth. Maybe 80 days to get those legs in shape!
crunchy
August 18, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
hey kwill!, I think you need to spend more summer time in canaan/davis \:\) Summer still hasn't arrived there this year and the past few nights temps have dipped into the 40's and daytime highs barely hit 70 \:\)

ohio hillbillies: send that pic to chip at whitegrass, he would love that shot!
kwillg6
August 18, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I'm heading up to the valley on Friday... can't wait! Plus the new issue of Skiing showed up on Friday. Got my wish list made up and now need to look if what I want to ski on is on the pro-form list. Great pic Lydia! gotta try that sometime.
Roger Z
August 18, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
To me, this is usually the worst time of year. You're normally entering Month 2 of wilting heat (though this summer- especially the last 10 days- has been shockingly cool out here), and on top of that Mother Nature decides to go all ****tease on you. First, the sickly trees, or sickly parts of trees, start turning color. There's a redbud with a twisted branch and a not-so-healthy birch in my neighbor's yard, both of which have decided to turn a few leaves golden. Coupled with the cool air, it sets the mind wandering.

Then there's the ski magazines. Bless the magazines, but it gets you thinking- WOW! SNOW!!!.

So between being fed up with heat, the couple leaves falling to the ground, maybe the first cool front passing through the region, and the first ski magazines, the mind starts hopping. Winter is coming! WINTER IS COMING!!! So you get all excited and you run into the ski shop when they're still selling bikinis to get your pre-season tune-up, you have your skis back by September 15th...

...and then you wait three more months. At least. It's torture! Torture I tell you!!! Can't we just skip August 15th-September 15th and go straight to the first frost or something???
JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 19, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Although the last couple days have been hotter, those of us in the DC suburbs pretty much got a free pass through the dog days of August. First half of the month was uncharacteristically cool and clear.
dcmidnight
August 19, 2008
Member since 11/11/2006 🔗
125 posts
I've been training for the Marine Corps Marathon and reading up on the Whistler Peak to Peak Gondola construction. Just amazing to me.

http://ww1.whistlerblackcomb.com/p2pg/

If you're an engineering or technical junkie this will boggle your mind.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
August 19, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
My anxiety level reaches peak season from now until mid-September, as this is the height of hurricane season and about the only thing that will ruin my winter. I don't deploy anymore, but a major catastrophe and we'll be on 16-hr days till the next Ice Age.

Looks like this year we may get a reprieve though... Hope... and count the days until the first snow
scootertig
August 19, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I'm just trying to figure out how long I should hold out before getting my bindings mounted on my new skis. On the one hand, it'll be a great "ski fix" to actually be getting ready for the season. On the other hand, it may ramp up the ski jones a little too much to be healthy... I figure if I can wait until late September, I will be safe.

aaron
GGNagy
August 25, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
I was doing just fine, enjoying my summer, and scoping out some new lost ski area possibilities. I was not thinking that much about skiing, even with the Laurel Mt soap opera. Then this weekend, my wife wanted to stop by Red Hot and Blue in Leesburg, VA. Oh look.. Clearance sale at Pro Fit Ski and Skate, and my wife let me go in unsupervised.

Now I have new boots to go with the new skis last spring, and I'm itching to try them out. I was told to stop clomping around the house in them last night.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.