Number of Trails Open (details): 15
Number of Lifts Open (details): 6
Surface Conditions: Natural Powder

http://www.skisugar.com/conditions/

NCskier
February 27, 2004
Member since 12/12/2003 🔗
30 posts
Sugar would be a great place to go. for this weekend they should have all the trails open. they only have 15 open because of night skiing. I have heard that the blacks are just a sheer wall of ice right now, so if you don't like that kind of stuff, you know what to expect. anyone going to NC can go to the other areas too. Hawksnest with no crowds and decent terrain, Beech, and APP with the best terrain park.
snowbird
February 28, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
Negative on sugar for the weekend. however if you wanna ride or ski ice and spend lots of money doing it than sugar may be the place for you. expect to spend most of your day on the lift it takes 20+ to get from the bottom to the top. if you are looking for quality snow then go to app ski mtn. its much smaller but way better
NCskier
February 28, 2004
30 posts
I think snowbird forgot to mention the bad management at sugar.
they don't let skiers in the terrain park so they are still left in the 90's.
(Anonymous)
February 29, 2004
How do you have ice with over a foot of fresh snow?
snowbird
March 1, 2004
51 posts
i totally agree with the horrible mgt at sugar. i only go there when they are the only resort open. and to answer your qestion how do you have ice with a foot of snow? its simple you dont groom it and ice forms. the snow was so wet though that most the resort in nc were pretty icy tonight. on sat it was so warm that it slushed all out and then froze at night into ice. i rode up at app tonight and it was mighty darn firm. this afternoon is was a slush pit im sure. but sugar was prob a sloid sheet of ice tonight. i would be money on that.
NCskier
March 1, 2004
30 posts
it was also windy, so I've heard.
snowbird
March 1, 2004
51 posts
yeah but not as bad as hawksnest and beech im sure. i would still rather go to one of those than pay sugar money. for those of you who dont know they charge 53 for a weekend tickets. thats just down right crazy to pay for what they have to offer you. i mean if you are going to ride a lift and not ski or ride than sugar might be the place for you as you spend most of your day on one of their super slow lifts.
gatkinso
March 2, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
If you live in the deep south and don't see snow on your lawn in a typical year, then I guess Sugar would be worthwhile.

Otherwise why bother with such a long drive when there are snowier places much closer, and much much snowier placers the same distance going north?

(Anonymous)
March 5, 2004
You would have to ride another 2 & a half hrs to get to snowshoe.Wintergreen would be just as close for us southerners,but if you time your trip right sugar is a 1200' slope that can deliver.The mang does seem a little snooty,& they are tight with their money.They opted to put new drivers on their lifts instead of getting an xpress.Will the upgrades to their lifts make them faster or just more reliable?
rustyedge
March 6, 2004
Member since 02/26/2004 🔗
2 posts
Sugar is the best mountain in NC. The lifts only take 10 to 12 minutes to the top and not the 20 plus that many claim. Sugar is also 1,200 vertcal feet, has the longest runs, and has some of the steepest terrain on the entire east coast. Compare that to the very lame beginers area that is Appalchian. 400 vert and no steeps. I'll pay 53 bucks on the weekend for the best and most challenging mountain than $40 to be bored out of my skull.
(Anonymous)
March 6, 2004
Having been to Sugar on several occasions, I will never return. It has the worst lifts, parking, and snow conditions in the east. the management is ... well, I won't say what I think in a public forum. I don't know why anyone would waste $1.00 let alone $53 for one of the worst ski mountains ever. Drive north just a little and the snow quality is superior. Don't waste the gas on Sugar.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.