Snowboarding number 1 cause of outdoor injuries?
6 posts
3 users
2k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
June 13, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Interesting link to the Washington Post earlier this week, cites the Center for Disease Control's citing snowboarding as the number one cause of injuries. Skiing doesn't even make the top ten. Wonder why?

Amazingly, hiking comes third, and it makes me think about the methodology for the research. My recent hike in the NaPali Coast Trail in Kawai'i resulted in a stress fracture of my metatarsus, but that's considering it is one of the most grueling hikes in the US. However, I don't consider it as a dangerous hike.

Snowboarding Number One Cause of Outdoor Sports Injuries
kwillg6
June 13, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Stop and think about the age of those involved in the sport and the risk taking associated with that age. If there are demographics, it would probably show that the majority of injuries are with teens with little or no experience, and the three most common injuries are broken wrists, collar bones, and head injuries. Most are due to the inexperience factor and lack of concern for protecting their gray matter (no helments). Anybody who skis frequently would observe this. Maybe Tucker can shed additional light on the reasons. I'm a skier, not a boarder. Tried the dark side and didn't care for it.

On the other hand...fishing???? How does one get injured throwing in a line and poping a cold one??? \:\( Maybe having too many cold ones could be a factor. Lou, it doesn't say what is considred hiking. Maybe climbing is grouped into that. Some of the hikes I do includes a degree of scaling rocks and if slippery does present a hazard. I dunno?
bawalker
June 13, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Why do i get the feeling that the study was focused on those doing tricks in the park and not the free riders enjoying themselves with the rest of the skiers?
kwillg6
June 13, 2008
2,066 posts
It doesn't specify what they were doing, just how. You're probably correct. I've see a higher incidence of injuries sinc terrain parks have come into existance.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
June 14, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I think the gathering of data by CDC may not be properly categorized. You're all right, boarding shows as the most dangerous sport, but what about someone who doesn't go by the rails or terrain park? How about a skier that does? I conjecture that if a fisherman gets hypothermic and has to go to the hospital, that would count as a fishing injury. Interesting....
kwillg6
June 17, 2008
2,066 posts
It would be interesting to see how these statistics were developed. Does a collision by a boarder with a skier qualify as a ski or snowboard related accident if both are injured? Or a fisherman who has to hike into his favorite native trout hole and gets injured qualify as a hiking or fishing injury? The questions abound!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?