10 posts
4 users
2k+ views
bawalker
June 13, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Hey all,

First off I just posted up a video on YouTube/SaveLostRiver that shows the very individuals we are fighting in this battle to save our homes and land from being taken for the Lost River Site #16 dam.

http://www.savelostriver.org/wilkinsraid.php

In this video the opposing attorney for the soil conservation service is seen in 1993 threatening a 70 something year old lady with a sheriff and his guns if she refuses to let the appraisers in her home. This was for the first Kimsey Run Site #4 dam 2 miles away. WV State Supreme court ruled no more dams could be built after this one. That lady in the video later died from breast cancer in a nursing home after being unable to rebuild.

The same 'bald' attorney in this video is the same one still representing the soil conservation service now. In fact as the title of this thread says, he threatened all families and landowners involved that we WOULD be arrested if we refuse to let appraisers into the homes here. This was after a court ruling asking for an injunction to let other legal matters work out first.

All landowners adamantly oppose any invasion in the homes stating that feasibility studies are still ongoing and that the soil conservation is pushing for condemnation BEFORE those studies are done in hopes to acquire land before they are ousted from office in Nov.

Anyway it's a good chance if we refuse to allow appraisers in, the Hardy Co. sheriffs department will be on site to begin arresting landowners/homeowners on June 24 here in Lost City.

Brad
Ullr
June 13, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I have been arrested a couple of times. It ain't that bad. The worst they will do is hold you a day or two in a local lock up. A couple of square meals a day, and some tv. Doubt your job would dump you because of it, but check with your boss first. Stand up for yourself, and let me know if I can do something to help.
bawalker
June 13, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Actually I am my own boss so that makes that aspect easier. \:\)
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 13, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Ullr,
Guess you didn't come across BUBBA.
The Colonel
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 13, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Ullr,
Guess you didn't come across BUBBA.
The Colonel \:\)
Ullr
June 13, 2008
532 posts
Sorry, I am probably just being slow, who is BUBBA?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
June 14, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
 Originally Posted By: bawalker
Actually I am my own boss so that makes that aspect easier. \:\)

Think twice. An arrest, if followed by a conviction for even a misdemeanor -depends on what it is, may make you ineligible for a security clearance and may scuttle your ability to access federal contracts, especially if you're self employed.
Ullr
June 14, 2008
532 posts
Ok, how about calling a local news crew, ACLU? Anybody who you can think of to help. What exactly would you be arrested for? Doubt it would be obstruction. Do they have a court order? If he is a lawyer, and not a government offical, I don't think you can get interference. But check with someone who knows more about your local legal system.

Find out what the elderly lady got, it may be something you can live with. But that is going to have to be your decision. Good luck man, and keep us informed.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
June 14, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Politics makes strange bedfellows... The ACLU would be interested in little old ladies being put out of their land by landgrabbers who terrify them into allowing rich lawyers who will assess their land at pennies to the dollar... Have you talked to the Sierra Club? The Potomac Conservancy?
bawalker
June 14, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Lou - I'm very familiar with getting arrested and what that entails and what goes on a record. Personally if I'm arrested it would be so off the wall because *I* am not a land owner. I can only say "Sorry, I'm not on a deed and because I don't trust you you can't enter..."

The whole issue is over a right of entry for soil sample testing back in 9/2007. The opposition won that case before the judge where they demanded right of entry onto the property to conduct soil sample testing, vegetation testing, survey work, just for their feasibility study. In the order was written a VERY VAGUE that our lawyers argued over doesn't state access to the internal workings of each residence for appraisal purposes. The opposition lawyer yelled we were being unreasonable to the governments ability to function and the judge agreed that the original order no matter how vague was for appraisals via walking in the house, in every room, etc.

Thus that is the outcome. Without a doubt. It is the stated desire of everyone here that no one is willing to sell out and everyone will be martyrs for how corrupt this local legal system is. No one is giving in and will fight to expose and take down those crooked politicians, and others even if it means loosing it all and finally letting the rest of the area and world see it.

If you happen to have a specific contact at any sort of news agency in DC let me know. I'll be on the horns of seeing what can be done.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?