Ski storage
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
June 4, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Back to skiing. Hopefully this thread doesn't get hijacked by the Aryan nation. Where and how do the readership store their skis for the summer? I had to do repairs to my brand new AC-40s' base with the thin cover at Snowshoe. They're in my second bedroom closet, each in its own cover, resting against the wall. What do the rest of you do?
Leo
June 4, 2008
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Put and leave a thin coat of wax on your edges.

Although your bedroom closet probably is not too moist, you could still get some rust. The wax will prevent that.... \:\)
JohnL
June 4, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
 Quote:
They're in my second bedroom closet, each in its own cover, resting against the wall.

Same drill for me. I don't do any prep work/waxing, I just make sure they're dry.

I've heard that skis may lose some of their camber(?) if they're not stored hanging from pegs. Any gear geeks want to comment on that, or is it another myth busted by the Myth Busters?

I probably should prepare a bit better wrt ski storage, but frankly, it's down there on my list of priorities.
Ullr
June 4, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
1. Clean the bases
2. Sharpen the edges
3. Apply a thick coat of wax (including a coat on the edges, this will prevent the bases from drying out.
4. Turn down the DIN on the bindings and lubricate
5. Store upright
6. Do not lock the brakes together (let the ski camber naturally)
7. Make sure they are in a cool dry place (no attic's!!!!)
8. Scrape down in the fall, and don't forget to reset your DIN's.
skier219
June 4, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I follow Ullr's procedure except for steps 4 and 8. I store my skis side by side, vertical, up against the wall.

Don't put them in a bag, it can enhance any potential moisture problems.

A good ski should not de-camber when stored under no load. I don't think any special arrangements are needed as long as the ski is not loaded in any way.
Ullr
June 4, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Good point. I did forget to mention that My ski's are never stored in a ski bag (winter or summer).

I know the whole turn down the DIN is probably not needed with today's new bindings, but I do not have enough smarts to know why. \:\)
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 5, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I store my skis hangin from pegs.
What I have always heard is that stored skies should not be in contact with concret because they could absorb moisture. Do not lie them down on concret such as a garage or basement floor; do not stand them with the tails on concret.
My power has been off for 30 hours. Glad to be back on line.
The Colonel \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?