How many times can you drill skis?
7 posts
6 users
9k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
May 29, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
500 posts
I have a pair of ski that I "found" at the shop I was working in at the time. They were drilled wrong. Thus the customer would not take them. I had them redrilled for my boots. Now I have to have them redrilled for my new boots. Any issues?
skier219
May 29, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Some people say "3 times" as a general rule of thumb, but it really depends on how close together the holes are, and where the holes are. For instance, I would not drill any new holes closer than 2 diameters from the old holes. And I would be careful about having too many holes right in front of the toe-piece or right behind the heel piece.

If you can plug the old holes and the new holes are not too close, I think a third drilling should be no problem.

What kind of skis are they by the way?
kwillg6
May 30, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,074 posts
Actually, it depends on the ski's construction and your skiing style and prefered terrain. A second mounting shouldn't hurt the ski too much, but personally, I wouldn't do a third. Most techs I know wouldn't recommend it. Nothing is worse than to be pounding bumps and have a ski break. Filling the holes really doesn't help the integrity of the core that has been compromised at it's flex points by remounts.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
June 3, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
500 posts
Thanks! Another excuse to shop for new gear! Ebay here I come!
MikeC
November 7, 2008
Member since 02/24/2008 🔗
3 posts
Did you significantly change the size of your boots? If not by more than 1 size up or down you should be able to adjust the bindings where they are for the new boots.

Mike
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 7, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Welcome, Mike C. Tell us about yourself: live, ski or board, where, and whatever else you will share. Lots of good info here on DCSki, and most of the regulars are always willing to try to help a fellow DCSkier with info, etc.
The Colonel smile
jimmy
November 8, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey Colonel MikeC has been a DCSKier since our big gathering at Blue Knob last February, nother Western PA guy. Good to hear from you Mike.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.