jb714
May 22, 2008
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
May 23, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
OHMYGOD! Corporate Social Responsibility?! I thought that went dead in 2001?
jimmy
May 23, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
WUT are you talking about u ungrateful public serpeant. Corporations large and small pay taxes so the imperial government can employ twice as many people as it takes to get the job done, what they used to refer to in my management classes as too many hawgs at the trough. When i see 2001 and death used in the same sentence i have another # for you to think about, 2998.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
May 23, 2008
1,535 posts
Ah Jimmy, sorry to wake you up... Actually, how about 6666 as the real meaning of 2001? And as you know, the heavy crowns and tiaras on all of us government employees in the imperial government, weigh so much that we all have to go on disability and workmens' comp and then you have to pay more taxes to finance our neck braces.... Oh well... And by the way, out of 2998 victims, over 700 were as you called them, government hawgs and public serpeants... Certainly your way to commemorate their memory?
Roger Z
May 24, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Sounds like corporate self-interest to me. Move the fire department to clear the way for Paradise Springs. Probably couldn't use eminent domain since it was a public use, so they made an agreement with the local government in order to break grounds. Probably a win-win from both parties' perspective: the local government gets a brand new fire station, the developer gets a 750 acre parcel with no design or finance obstructions... but probably no one thought of the poor cows that have to find greener pastures. \:\(
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
May 24, 2008
1,535 posts
Still, he did a good deed. Nothin' wrong with a corporation seeing a void in the community and then filling that void with an option that even though it will benefit corporate coffers, will likely have an amazing impact on the community.

Let's face it... We have the most altruistic people on the earth in the US... But suppose the charitable contributions were no longer tax deductible?....

My hat is off to Buncher. Enlightened self interest is still good and it definitely makes sense and fits within the parameters of corporate social responsibility...
jb714
May 24, 2008
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
When I started this thread, I had no earthly idea that it would start a controversy. I simply wanted to point out that Buncher has done something positive for the community. I think that the people of Somerset County are appreciative of this good deed, and I dare say they'd have a pretty good chuckle at the ruckus that this caused.
Ullr
May 25, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
 Originally Posted By: Roger Z
Sounds like corporate self-interest to me. Move the fire department to clear the way for Paradise Springs. Probably couldn't use eminent domain since it was a public use, so they made an agreement with the local government in order to break grounds. Probably a win-win from both parties' perspective: the local government gets a brand new fire station, the developer gets a 750 acre parcel with no design or finance obstructions... but probably no one thought of the poor cows that have to find greener pastures. \:\(

Exactly what it is. I work at a 750,000 sq ft manufacturing facility, and we built the fire department a brand new building right across the street from us. Most of the $$$ got written off, plus those fireman are gonna come a runnin if anything is goin down at one of Buncher's places. But, overall it was a nice gesture, the community got a new firehouse, and he did do a good thing. Let's just not make him out to be a total saint.
gizmosnow
May 25, 2008
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Just for everyones general information and interest as it kind of relates to this thread....

From what I understand (and I am not fully knowledgeable on this), everything Buncher does ultimately is, essentially, for charity. The Company founder (i.e., 'Mr. Buncher') is long gone. The (for profit) Buncher Company continues to operate under the auspices of the Buncher Family (charitable) foundation/trust. The 'goal' of the Buncher Company is to make a profit for the foundation and their charitable endeavors.
Ullr
May 26, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Thanks for the clarification. Interesting set-up. So the company pays it's employees and any profits go to the NPO wing of the organization? Very cool.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
May 26, 2008
1,535 posts
Nothing wrong with that. Yes, corporate social responsibility at its best. My next vision is Exxon helping to pay for little old ladies' fuel bills in McDowell County WV so they don't freeze to death...
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
May 27, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Please note that Buncher did receive a $1.0 grant from those fat, evil government beauracrats to help offset the cost of the firehouse which I believe costs more than $2.3 million. They also purchased two house along the same Route 31 frontage. The purchase of the frontage is key to the development of the commercial part of the development. Additionally, they want the frontage to look nice for all of those rich Republicans that made money off the government who can now afford to purchase their big ticket vacation home. I doubt any of those evil, fat, government workers such as school teachers, soldiers, librarians, social workers, public works employees, etc. will be able to afford Paradise Springs.
jimmy
May 27, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
No problem Lou i wuz already asleep, hope your neck is feeling better \:D .

Snowsmith, the county will soon also have the additional problem of what to do with all the extra property tax collections once that property is built out and sold. Oh my, wut to do?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
May 27, 2008
1,535 posts
Jimmy, your gracious gift of neck braces, free chiropractor consults, and an ergonomic throne given to each federal and state worker means we'll be able to wear our crowns and tiaras for longer periods. You think you were oppressed before? Watch out now...

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.