Slow Lifts
18 posts
10 users
2k+ views
DWW
February 25, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
Contrary to what many think, there's nothing like a trip out west to help you really appreciate what we have in WV. While I am not well traveled out West, my experiences in Durango and Whistler were awesome, and confirmed that we have some pretty good stuff goin on here at home.
JR
February 25, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
I wonder how long it takes to walk?
JR
February 25, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
DWW
Yeah, we do have some great stuff here. My girfriend currently lives in Columus. Timberline's lift would take about 36 seconds on their hills
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 25, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
The lifts at Timberline take about 12 minutes IF THERE ARE NO STOPS. Loading problems with Silver Queen often mean that the lift stops 6 times or more before it reaches the summit on a standard weekend with moderate to low crowds. These stops can easily add 5 minutes or even more to the ride. It's not unusual to spend 20 minutes on Silver Queen.

The whole situation is ridiculous. I can't tell you how many people have told me that this is their last year for skiing at Timberline. The resort has some wonderful terrain (perhaps the best in the region next to Blue Knob) and certainly some of the best snow, but the aging infrastructure renders all these advantages moot.

Currently, the ownership is selling very expensive lots in a new area above the mid-station called Winterhaven. It would be nice if it took some of the profits from those sales and invested in the mountain, starting with a real lift upgrade as opposed to what we got with the Silver Queen. I say get rid of Silver Queen altogether and put in an Expert T-Bar--even that solution would be more reliable than what we have now.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
canaanman
February 25, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
I don't like the T-Bar idea... that would be like de-evolving. They started out with a T-Bar over there. I think they should leave everything like it is, build a profit base, and go from there.
(Anonymous)
February 25, 2004
Sking with my wife at vail the other w-end meant stopping for a few min after every 500' of vert drop.When I asked her if she enjoyed the fast lifts she said she liked the slow ones like at timberline where she could get a break!The altitude slowed both of us down a little.Saw a kid at snowshoe 1 day with a very worried & tired look on his face as he asked me how much further to go to the bottom,this bieng on the 750'vert basin side.So the moral of this post is I guess don't get in such great shape & dont get so good that you outgrow your local neighborhood mtn??
February 25, 2004
1,986 posts
Canaanman:

Timberline has made a cool 1.45 million in real estate sales this year:

UNDER RESERVATION (.0332 Acres - $200,000); Lot #81 UNDER RESERVATION, .0473 Acres - $250,000; Lot #82 UNDER RESERVATION, .0369 Acres - $250,000; Lot #87 UNDER RESERVATON, .451 Acres - $250,000; #88 UNDER RESERVATION, .444 Acres - $250,000; Lot #89, UNDER RESERVATION .410 Acres - $250,000.

http://www.timberlinerealty.com/prop.cfm

This is in addition to the money they've made selling lots on Northface and Winterset in the past 3 years. 18 new homes have been constructed on North Face alone. Perhaps it is now time to put some money back into the mountain for a change? The profits are clearly being made.

In short, Timberline's pleas of poverty no longer cut the mustard. I was joking about the T-Bar idea. We need a high-speed detachable and we NEED IT YESTERDAY. You can't build a profit base without customers and customers demand better facilities. Snowshoe did more business in March of last year than Timberline and Canaan Valley did for the entire season COMBINED. Go figure.

PS Andy, the last time I was at Snowshoe, I road up on the Western Express with a guy who had one of those altimeter watches. I asked him how much vertical he hoped to bag. His response: 40,000. For every skier who enjoys breaks, there are many others who want to bag big vert. For those who don't, there's always the lodge. They can buy food and drinks to support the resort so serious skiers can keep riding those high speed detachables.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 02-25-2004).]

JohnL
February 25, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Definitely agree that any significant lift lines or stoppages can really increase the trip length. Surprisingly enough, there were frequent stoppages of the Utah lifts. Fortunately, there were absolutely no lift lines. The 16 minute lift was hideous.

As a tangent, that's a lot of income (neglecting expenses) coming in for T-Line via real estate. I wonder what sort of ammenities those buyers will be expecting of the mountain?

February 25, 2004
1,986 posts
I forgot to mention that with every new house built on Herz Mountain, Timberline collects more income in water and sewage bills. The current rates, not surprisingly, are exorbitant. I have a 650 square foot unit and pay $58 a month for water and sewage to Timberline. I use this unit maybe 4 days a month maximum. Go figure.
(Anonymous)
February 25, 2004
Johnf you need to disguise yourself & pay a visit to timberline realty as a prospective buyer.Find out what thier sales pitch is & ask some hard questions!DC ski 007!!
Roger Z
February 25, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
JohnL-- oh if only you had skied Solitude. I loved the hill but OH! the lifts. The lift up to the ridge was a solid 17 minutes. Granted I didn't mind the long ride (good to cool the legs off, no lines, no one on the slopes) but it was looooong.

That said, most of the resorts out west also have alternatives, except for Alta and Powder. High speed quads can be found at Brighton and Snowbasin and of course in Park City, so you at least have the option of, say, riding the Millicent lift (nice bowls over there by the way) screaming "THIS SUCKS!" and skiing over to the Great Western for some sunny runs and fast lifts. If T-line had a high speed quad alternative I don't think anyone would gripe about a 12 or 15 minute ride on the second lift-- more than likely we'd be hearing "man the liftline was so long on the high speed quad I settled for the longer ride on the back-up lift; it was so relaxing!"

The other problem is when lifts stop a lot. Long isn't so bad as the shuffle. A few weeks ago I was at Whitetail and that stupid novice/intermediate quad was stopping every THIRD chair, I kid you not. It's like when you're driving home from work and every single light is red. The stop and go is frustrating and if it's a standard on a lift, you get off the lift. If both of the lifts on a mountain are stopping and starting and occasionally breaking down, you'll get a real frustrated crowd.

Johnfmh the thing I least like about (some of) the real estate at T-line is, yes, it's bringing in money for them but it sure is eating up a lot of hillside. You can't build a ski run through a house lot-- or even when you can, the skiing usually isn't enjoyable. I still rue the fact that they built that housing complex on the next mountain north of there; that would have been some fantastic expansion skiing. But all the focus on real estate and the little focus on infrastructure has brought us back to more basic problems than expansions unfortunately.

[This message has been edited by Roger Z (edited 02-25-2004).]

JohnL
February 26, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Here's some info to put the slowness of Timberline's lifts into perspective. From previous estimates on this board, it takes about 10-12 minutes to climb 1000 feet of vertical (neglecting significant stoppages if lots of newbies are having trouble with the lifts.) I didn't time the lifts at T-Line when I was there, but 10-12 minutes seems about right.

Some lifts I used this past weekend at Utah:
- Millicent Lift @ Brighton: 1125 ft vert, about 10 minutes
- Hidden Lake @ Powder: 1300 ft vert, 16 minutes per a worker I rode up with. The Paradise Lift is 1600 ft vert, at least 10 minutes.
- The Wildcat Lift @ Alta is also pretty darn slow. Couldn't find any stats on it, but it seemed at least 10 minutes worth of riding.

You could almost view a complete episode of Seinfeld on some of these lifts!

Granted T-Line is not serving up Utah terrain or snow, but it's not too shabby either.

jimmy
February 26, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
My observation is that when lift lines are not an issue it takes me about 15 minutes round trip on thunder struck/draft/stuck lift; 4000' of vertical per hour, if you please.
February 26, 2004
1,986 posts
Roger:

I share your concerns about lack of terrain expansion room at Timberline. This new Winterhaven development will rob the resort of their prime expansion terrain. My bigger concern, however, is what happens when the real estate well runs dry. Skier numbers are declining at Timberline because of the poor infrastructure, so the only way the current ownership makes money is through real estate sales. When that runs out, what will happen then?

(Anonymous)
February 26, 2004
Mount port crayon gets dev with at least 2000' vert,People like me are loving life & timberline keeps operating as the (cheap & small quaint local resort)keeping your realestate investments from turning south. ALMOST HEAVEN SKI RESORT.....KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!
Lietmotiv
February 26, 2004
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
RogerZ:
Having skiied out in Utah this winter your comment about Solitude was right on. I got on APEX lift and I thought I'd be there forever. I saw young boys growing into men by the time we got off it. Alta has a few slow lifts as well. I know timberline is slow but in perspective some resorts of higher esteem have even slower lifts.
Roger Z
February 27, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Yeah I hear ya about the real estate well running dry, John, that's a good concern too.

In Solitude's defense- and in defense of the resorts out west that have slower lifts- by and large those mountains are much less expensive to ski. So the ticket prices reflect the trade-offs. That's not quite the case at T-line. On the other hand, Solitude does have that high speed quad and the guy I talked to at the real estate shop says they are planning to upgrade first the Moonbeam lift (to help the beginners who keep falling off the chair) and then the other two lifts on the front. They don't want to upgrade with debt though, so the real estate agent was structuring land sales to raise the cash for the high speed quads.

SO... although I have a bias for those chairs at Solitude, it can be said that, unlike Timberline, they are doing something about the slow lifts. Lift tickets will probably go up, but there are still a few resorts around with old dinosaurs that will keep their tickets low.

snowbird
February 28, 2004
Member since 02/28/2004 🔗
51 posts
whoever said that the utah lifts were slow where in the world did you go. when in utah you should be going to LCC or BCC and i the lifts there are not that slow. slowest lifts are at solitude in bcc but if therez powder you need the slow lift to recover from your run. my pick is snowbird my favirote resort and ive been to lots.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.