Whitetail Terrain Park new lift plans
19 posts
10 users
5k+ views
therusty
May 13, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Whitetail has internally announced plans for a new double chair for access to Jib Junction (the terrain park located on lower Angel Drop).
Roger Z
May 13, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Rusty-

Scott's got some more details on the home page:

http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1105&mode=topstory

- Rog
jimboc
May 14, 2008
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
more photos of new trail.......

http://www.skiwhitetail.com/improvements.htm
wojo
May 14, 2008
333 posts
Name the trail contest?? Rusty, tell your Whitetail friends that we will come up with some good ones.

I am giving jimboc 5 stars because he beat me to posting the info by 15 minutes!!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
GGNagy
May 15, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
An interesting little side note is that on the video, It is mentioned that snowmaking for the new slope, fanciful, and snow dancer will be getting a new pump. Given the legenth of the new slope, does that mean we will see those two other with more, or less snow over a season than they get now?

Looks like the new lift line is being cut to skiers right of Jib Junction. Kind of odd since that would but the loading station uphill from the HSQ maybe?
therusty
June 9, 2008
422 posts
Home page? We don' read no stinkin' ...
Oh yeah. Great scoop Scott!

Yup - it looks like loading will be above the cliff. Kinda kills the last steep jump, but the chair would have had to take an extreme left turn going up the other side.

More or less snow? Well, it does look like the trail is mostly North facing. It will be interesting to see where this trail sits on the priority list. My guess is just above Stalker. But weather and the type of guns also effect how much snow a trail gets. We may see this trail get more snow in the early and late season and less in the middle.
jimboc
June 25, 2008
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
more new info on the trail...updated video

http://www.youtube.com/whitetailresort

video is kinda shaky - but some some good shots in there to give you a feel for the trail.
SeaRide
August 12, 2008
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
From looking at the pictures on the website http://www.skiwhitetail.com/improvements.htm , I wish the dozers were not smoothing out the new trail too much. Oh well.
RodSmith
August 14, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Have they destroyed the 5 fingers of death!?
therusty
August 19, 2008
422 posts
I work there so I'm embarassed to not know what you mean by the five fingers of death. But I'm heading up to the mountain this weekend and would be glad to check it out for you if you'd give me a clue.
GGNagy
October 23, 2008
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Hmmm... has anyone noticed that not only is the new double's lift line listed as a beginner slope, but that there appear to be hydrant(s) on the slope as well, per the web cam.
therusty
October 23, 2008
422 posts
My guess is that is a typo. The other lifts don't have colors on them. If that was a trail it would be marked blue and we would have had a naming thing going on over the summer. We'd also see more "hydrants". I did not see snowmaking pipe activity over there when they were doing Sidewinder earlier this summer. My guess is that the blue spots you see on the web cam pic are electrical (you think they'd make you ride up in pitch dark at night?). We'll find out for sure next month either when the web site gets updated with the new virtual tour and the revamped snow report page or after I get up there for my next meeting. But I suspect folks going up this weekend for the fall festival may get us an answer quicker.
therusty
November 11, 2008
422 posts
Originally Posted By: SeaRide
From looking at the pictures on the website http://www.skiwhitetail.com/improvements.htm , I wish the dozers were not smoothing out the new trail too much. Oh well.

SeaRide,

This trail is intended to fill in the difficulty gap between Snowpark and Velvet. It needs to be real smooth to do that.
KevR
November 11, 2008
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I think it looks great. There is a big jump from Velvet to Snowpark -- a trail inbetween is a big plus if you ask me and gives one a few more options from the top of Snowpark which can become overly crowded on a popular Saturday as well. i think the addition of this trail is a good move.

The short jib junction lift for the terrain park seems to address another issue too.

The main problem here is the overcrowding of upper angel with folks that are only interested in just getting down to the terrain park. This will tend to take them off the upper angel area and open this back up to skiers or boarders interested in cruising & not jumping -- another good move I think.

I can't wait to see how it plays out in person this season!
Crush
November 11, 2008
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
they should call it "doggie and kitty" - well i always like that as a name for anything really. and any pet should be called "muffin" or "cupcake", even if it is a horse or a gold fish or a pet ant in an ant farm. well i guess for the ant farm it could be "muffin-10231" or "cupcake-8db6cf30-b03b-11dd-ad8b-0800200c9a66" .

well, actually maybe the trail should be called "rising star". yeah that's good.
JohnL
November 11, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I think they should have a sign on the first tree that requires tha skier/boarder to turn before hitting it, signage = "The Crush Was Here."

wink
RodSmith
November 11, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Five Fingers of Death was a mountain biking trail that had many steep switchbacks so the trail going back and forth looked like the outline of fingers on a hand. It is clearly visible in winter when there was some snow on it. Whitetail mountain biking is over, so it doesn't matter, but why not name the ski trail "Five Fingers of Death" as a tribute to Whitetail's place in the history of lift served mountain biking?
Crush
November 11, 2008
1,271 posts
ummm because i think the idea is to encourage new skiers coming off the bunny slope to try their new skills on something a little more challenging? hmm let's do and improve now -

mom: honey you are doing so well ! you really are getting this! i'm so proud of of you!

child (about seven years old): this is fun!

mom: yes it is! here - cover your ears up a little more. ok what do want to do now?

child: ummm let's go on the "five fingers of death"

mom: i don't think so.

- i still vote "rising star"
Crush
November 11, 2008
1,271 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
I think they should have a sign on the first tree that requires tha skier/boarder to turn before hitting it, signage = "The Crush Was Here."

wink

.. blahh blahh blah. hey you know, bushwacker skis faster and straighter than i do.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?