Roundtop Expansion Plans???
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 24, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
This is still in the myth/rumor stage but I picked up this little tidbit on Epicski:

"They say it's off the back side and will be north facing. It's supposed to be 3 black runs, 2 blue runs, and 1 long winding green run. They will be serviced with one high speed quad with a double added later, if needed. Rumor has it that they have plans to put an additional lodge over that way also since that side of the mountain allows alcohol sales."

The poster is Coach13, a generally reliable poster from PA.

http://www.epicski.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=002318

finsoutoc
February 24, 2004
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
ive heard that rumor for years but would like to see it come true. my guess is that it won't happen. typically RT gets screwed by snowtime in favor of liberty and secondly, roundtop got decent bux last year for some big projects. it would be cool though. ive ridden those trails that were cut years ago during big dumps and they are exactly what RT needs....long cruzers.
danwxman
February 24, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
Roundtop's northern side is already completely developed, thats the side with all the slopes etc. Looking at the Topo maps of Roundtop, it appears the backside could offer a similar challenge and vertical that the northern side does. I'm assuming they are talking about the NW face, but that has some high power retension (sp?) lines which already looks like skiable slope.
finsoutoc
February 25, 2004
172 posts
dan, thats exactly where the developed slopes are. if there is enough natural snow, you can turn left at hte bottom of barretts trail and go all the way to the bottom then hike the power lines back to the parking lots.
Roger Z
February 25, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
finsoutoc- there's some old cut lines off skiers left of Barretts? I did not know that if true. Any idea what the vertical would be over there?
rustyedge
February 27, 2004
Member since 02/26/2004 🔗
2 posts
Hello folks, first post here coming to you from that great ski town Augusta, GA.

I also posted some thoughts over at EpicSki on Roundtop's expansion. The trails referenced below Barret's Trail were cut twenty years ago. I remember hiking them with some friends and don't recall the area being that steep, certainly not as steep as Uppers Laffeyette, Ramrod, or Gunbarrel. I think there were two or three trails that looked to be low intermediate in pitch at best. I do not know why they were never opened. One rumor was that they planned on building houses or condos off of them.

Another rumor was that there was an old trail or road that ran down the back, south facing side of the mountain. From what I remember, there is some terrain on the backside that is fairly steep. Also, I think there is some room to the skiers' right of Gunbarrel to place another top to bottom trail and there is also another smaller ridge over there that would hold a couple of new trails.

With the continued changes and upgrades to my old home mountain, it looks like another trip to good ol' Roundtop is in order for next season. It's been a long time since I've had the chance to ski the top of Gunbarrel. Truly one of the best slopes on the east coast. Hopefully they do have some more steep terrain to add to what already is a challenging little mountain that is far to often unjustly maligned because of its size and location.

finsoutoc
February 28, 2004
172 posts
roger you are at the right spot but no idea of the vert. my recollection was that those trails are aslong as minuteman but more wider adn with differing pitches. i spoke to the GM last night at our superpipe comp and he told me that they are beginning a survey of that area for lifts, water, snowmaking, etc this summer and based on that, they may start construction the summer of 2005.
danwxman
February 28, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
58 posts
Topo map of Roundtop: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4441008&e=335104&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Looks like you could get some longer runs and slightly more vertical on the backside.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.