6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
May 7, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Hardcores -

Didn't in years past Mount Baker in Washington State stay open late into the summer months? Or am I lost here....
I know about Mt Hood near Portland but I am going to Seattle and was hoping for some summer turns.

thanks

Geo-clueless
Norsk
May 7, 2008
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Well, I'm a Seattle native and learned to ski there, so I'll share what I know. Baker has indeed stayed open late into the spring/summer in the past, but not normally. In some years they get an extraordinary amount of snow and stay open to take advantage of it. Problem is that its a longer drive from Seattle than Crystal, Stevens or the Snoqualmie areas, which seems to be a deterrent. And Seattle doesn't seem to have as many late season hardcores as you might think.

That said, if you're willing to drive to Baker, why not strap it on and continue north to Whistler? They'll be open for sure, and it really isn't much longer of a drive in total time.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
May 7, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Cool any idea when they close?
Roger Z
May 7, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
 Quote:
Cool any idea when they close?

You mean Whistler? When their glaciers melt!
bawalker
May 8, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Not to hijack the thread, but RogerZ is within 6 posts of becoming DCSki's leading poster!
Norsk
May 9, 2008
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Roger Z is right. They have the Horstmann Glacier at Blackcomb (and perhaps another glacer at Whistler now??) that is open all summer.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.