Ullr
April 24, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
queenoftheslopes
April 24, 2008
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
I am surprised that 7 springs did not show up on the list. Still one of my favorite places in the Mid-A
Ullr
April 24, 2008
532 posts
Yea, I do like Wintergreen, but come on! Nothing from NC, and even though I am one of the biggest Snowshoe bashers around here, it is still better then Wintergreen.
Ullr
April 24, 2008
532 posts
HAHAHAHA

I just read the article on Blue Knob:

http://www.onthesnow.com/drupal/node/22772

At the bottom is says to click here to read the reviews, so I did. I started to read them, and something just didn't seem right with them. Till I realized, these were the reviews of BLUE MOUNTAIN IN THE POCONOS!!
skier219
April 24, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I bet WTG flooded the survey with votes somehow. The first time they were in the Washington post survey, they sent a mass e-mail to season pass holders, property owners, etc... to drum up votes (and won). I didn't see any e-mails for the second Post survey they won a year later, or for this new one, but maybe I'm just not on the mailing list anymore.

I like Wintergreen as tops in the "closest to me category", but it's not nearly best in the mid-Atlantic in my estimate (maybe top 10). But hey, if they know how to communicate with their loyal customers and enlist votes, they are already way ahead of other resorts in a business sense. Some of the resorts are clueless about communicating with their customer base.
skier219
April 24, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I just read some of the reviews and it was painful. I don't think this survey is worth much.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 24, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I must admit astonishment, although I must agree that next to Snowshow, Timberline and Elk it has some of the best maintained, most varied terrain in the mid-Atlantic; as well as several high speed lifts, fantastic snowmaking, incredible scenery, and a first class resort in all ways to go with the ski operation.

As surprised as I am about Wintergreen's ranking, I am amazed that Wisp is tops for nightlife????

It would be quite interesting to be able to see the comments and voting that led the "On-The-Snow" rankings.

Deer Valley for nightlife????
The Colonel \:\)
GRK
April 24, 2008
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Well...I would not want to slam WTG. It is the closest resort to where I live and I think they do a good job with what they have to work with.

However, I have always thought the onthesnow reviews to be of little use. They always seem to be written by people that did not expect it to be cold out or at the other extreme people that were expecting too much. Places like DCSKI and EPIC are far more reliable because you get a good sense of the experience of the person writing the review. Plus people tend to dispute statements that are off-base.

Not sure it matters but Wintergreen sells advertising space to onthesnow.
Steve
April 24, 2008
Member since 02/15/2006 🔗
160 posts
 Originally Posted By: The Colonel

As surprised as I am about Wintergreen's ranking, I am amazed that Wisp is tops for nightlife????

I'm with you. They only open the bar between 5:00 and 11:00 on Saturdays. I love DCL, but nightlife?

Steve
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
April 26, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Wintergreen????

By Mid Atlantic is that just folks with in spliting distance of the James River?

I am moving to W-burg so I am glad to see it...but belive it?
Ullr
April 26, 2008
532 posts
Don't get me wrong, Wintergreen is a nice day trip ski area, I guess the real confusion come in when it is ranked best?
April 26, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
oldensign,
Just want to make sure you know that skier219 and Mrs. live near Williamsburg.
April 26, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I have stayed at Wintergreen several times for a couple of nights in a row, skiing the days in between. It is quite enjoyable. The food is really special, the Wintergreen Spa and indoor pool complex is first class. Hot tubs inside and out. Two+ wonderful golf courses. And as I have stated before: great automated snowmaking. A good trail layout that channels beginner, blue and black diamond skiers on to different parts of the mountain with two high speed chairs. And because of the extremem elevation differences (near 4000 feet at top, approx. 1000 feet at bottom (location of StoneyBrook Golf Course) you can ski and play golf on the same winter day.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 26, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Agree with you. Vanilla reporting...
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?