It ain't over 'til it's over -- Summit County CO.
8 posts
5 users
1k+ views
bob
April 15, 2008
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts
Keystone and Copper closed on Sunday. It snowed every day last week from Wednesday thru Saturday and the temperatures never got above the freezing point.

For you snow junkies, Breckenridge will be open thru the 20th, Loveland thru May 4th, and A-Basin thru at least mid-June and maybe thru July 4th this year - that is always their goal. With the cold temps this year (every month has been significantly colder than last season's equivalent month (March '08 was 9 degrees cooler than March '07)), and big snows (7th snowiest winter on record) the Basin may actually make it to the 4th for the second time in the last ten years. There's something magical about watching a fireworks display in a snow storm - it has happened.

Then there's always Timberline, Oregon thru Labor day for the truly addicted.
bob
April 15, 2008
755 posts
A few last things.

On average April is the second snowiest month in the county, and big dumps frequently occur in May. My best day ever in the county was May 10, 1993. Skied the Basin after a 20 inch dump. Everything was open - East wall, Pali, West wall.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 15, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Hola Bob, noticed you're new? Can you introduce yourself please? Welcome to the forum
langleyskier
April 16, 2008
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
 Originally Posted By: bob

Then there's always Timberline, Oregon thru Labor day for the truly addicted.

Speaking of timberline, I just checked their website and they still have a base depth of 225 inches at the main lodge. So far this season they have had over 800 inches of snow when they average around 560... should be pretty sweet skiing there throughout the spring and into summer when they open up the glacier.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
April 16, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
I was in Vail and Beaver Creek last week. It snowed almost every day!! I went expecting spring skiing and froze! it was nuts
bob
April 18, 2008
755 posts
Things just keep on going at Breckenridge.

Wednesday/Wednesday night brought almost a foot of fresh. Thursday was a nice powder day -- not bad for April 17. The bowls are completely full with no exposed rock. Peak 10's "The Burn" is exceptionally nice tree skiing.

Breck will probably close at 4 p.m. Sunday with a record amount of snow on the mountain - not only because of the now 4th snowiest winter on record but because what on the ground is staying there with very little melting happening.

It's 12 degrees now and the groomers just groomed 4 O'clock Run
all the way down to Park Avenue in the heart of the town. I don't ever remember 4 O'Clock being open on the last weekend of the season, let alone having enough snow on it to ski it all the way to Park Avenue.
Ullr
April 18, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
WOW. Are you a local? If so, tell us about yourself.
bob
April 20, 2008
755 posts
 Originally Posted By: Ullr
WOW. Are you a local? If so, tell us about yourself.

Nope, not a Summit County local

ex Parkton, MD. Now live in a Dallas suburb. Own a place in Breckenridge and spend about 50% of the time between Thanksgiving and the end of the season in Breckenridge.

So I guess you get Ullr festive every January?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?