After Ski Season Poll
10 posts
7 users
1k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 10, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
What do DCSki readers and participants do in the off-ski season? From running marathons to drinking beer to vapidly looking out the window and thinking you're a recreation of Emily Dickinson writing morbid poetry about the return of the ski season.... What do you do?
David
April 10, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Lou, you left out the most important off-season activity. Trout fishing. That's what I will be doing to pass the time (when I'm not in the lab) over the summer. I'd say a good bit of my time this summer will also be consumed by the medical school application process....
Murphy
April 10, 2008
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
 Originally Posted By: David
Lou, you left out the most important off-season activity. Trout fishing. That's what I will be doing to pass the time (when I'm not in the lab) over the summer. I'd say a good bit of my time this summer will also be consumed by the medical school application process....

Not only is fishing missing but what about golf. I spend a good bit of my time at the pool with the kids too (literally, that's not a figure of speech ).
jimmy
April 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Yeah David Fishing, flawed poll should also include Golf & Cloud Skiing as choices.

Lou mentally i'm ready to move on to the un-season but in my heart i know that ski season isn't over. Last nite i tried a new activity, i'm playing Roshambo with my neighbors Black Lab Allie. You alreddy know how smart labs are, i'm a believer. The dog has been playing for a few years and i'm just a beginner, but am catching on quickly; i think i may be able to actually beat Allie witha bit more practice \:D .
jb714
April 10, 2008
Member since 03/4/2003 🔗
294 posts
It warms my heart (frosts my mug?) to see that Drinking Beer is currently a close second to Cycling.

Jimmy, I'm with you on the intelligence of Labs - my Yellow Lab (answers to 'Blizzard') is smarter than me most days.
jimmy
April 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Jeff i finally got ur sig line, all these years i thought you lived at Dairy Queen.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Great poll, Lou...but as others have said you left off a number of primarily warm weather activities:
golf
fishing
boating
rowing
tennis
cruising with the top down
outdoor theater
and as jimmy indicated: cloud skiing
The Colonel \:\)
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 10, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
jimmy,
You are "hot" tonight!
I need to add another off season activity...reading more of jimmy's fun posts
The Colonel \:\)
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 11, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
OK gang, I humbly apologize for my urbanite idiosyncracies... Golf, fishing and playing with smart dogs should have been added. Thunder, my Black Lab, told me that I was totally prejudicial for not adding the latter and said that if I ever did that again, he'd have an accident on the white carpet...
JohnL
April 11, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Only two items from the original poll applied to me: drinking beer and hitting the beach. \:\)

Besides drinking beer and soaking up UVA and UVB, my main warm weather activities are:

Hockey, roller and ice. I play on two ice teams year round, and play pick-up roller most Sunday mornings. Plus Power Skate lessons once a week in the Spring and Fall. So, I skate 3-4 times a week. Keeps me cold, and keeps me gliding. No Emily Dickinson for me, too busy for melancholy. (I'd personally change that poll reference to Etta James, Susan Tedeschi, Rory Block, Sue Foley or even Saffire. Da Blues Women, not some dead chick poet.)

Gardening and yard work. (Another non-urban activity.) Have a half acre yard, so it keeps me busy. Used to think gardening was for little old ladies. I now know better. And I have tremendous respect for little old ladies. When I plant, I'm planting 30+ flowers at time; my back feels it after that. Add some weeding, and call me Quasimodo. Throw in digging holes for planting trees and shrubs, removing stumps, cutting down trees, hauling top soil in a wheelbarrow, mowing the lawn, and ski season becomes rest season. The good news is that gardening and yard work are a socially acceptable means to drinking in your front yard. Any hour of the day.

Plus, I have to give a shout out to the National Pastime. Nat's games, O's games, and an annual trip to Chicago to see the Cubbies. With plenty of beer involved.

And hopefully, I'll be watching the Caps in Lord Stanley's Finals.

Taunting Roger Z. and Jimmy. Nuff said.

Should probably take up mountain biking, heard it is an excellent cross-training activity for skiing, but I never seem to find the time. Kudos to those of you who do.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?