17 posts
8 users
5k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
April 8, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
500 posts
Ok sorry to be monopolizing the forum......but

Snow on bases = When walking form the gondola or when I crash on the hill. I find the snow clings to my boot bases so much so that I cant click in. It sticks so tight that I have to scrap my bases then try to click in the first time or I have to repeat the process. It is a nightmare when I crash on the steeps....

Has this ever happened to any one? Any thing I can spray on my bases to keep this from happening? Pam? Teflon? Ideas?
comprex
April 8, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Do you have one-piece or two-piece boot lugs?

It happens more with the two-piece boot lugs that have a toe piece and a separate heel piece because the peak pressure is higher in those places. The Atomic RaceTech, B-tech, M-tech boots were notorious for this; it happens with some others.

All boots get some in slightly wet snow (snowball snow).

Plug boots get markedly less of it because usually the soles are one-piece heel to toe lug so the peak pressure is less, and the walking 'grip' areas are very rudimentary.

(Believe it or not, the purpose of walking 'grip' areas in snow is to create such clumps, because the friction of snow on snow is so much greater than the friction of plastic on snow)

Do not spray anything on them or you'll likely break your neck walking across icy parking lots.

Your best bet is to find a windshield wiper-type brush and keep it in your backpack.

PS if you're skiing in snowball snow, I'll revisit one of your other threads and repeat the Zardoz recommendation for your -SKI- bases.
JohnL
April 8, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
 Quote:
Any thing I can spray on my bases to keep this from happening? Pam? Teflon? Ideas?

Jack Daniels.
comprex
April 8, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Now that's a worthy idea.
skier219
April 8, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Silicone spray, no kidding. Just don't walk on a tile floor.

I run into this problem all the time when going outdoors with warm or wet boot soles. Even a brief break in the lodge is enough to cause the problem. It's a real pain. I end up scraping the bottoms with the tip of my pole. The usual pole whack has no effect \:\(
Ullr
April 9, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I usually just kick the back of my skis next to the rear of the binding. I thought everyone did this?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 9, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I'm with you...

They also make an elastic rubber contraption that I can't recall its name now... You put it on your boot base and not only does it protect the plastic, but also helps walking on ice. Anyone remember the name? Comes in three sizes
April 9, 2008
500 posts
With size 15 boots (see other post) I might break the binding! LOL!
April 9, 2008
500 posts
Cat trax's! I used to sell them at S/A. For the Mid Atlantic I never figured there purpose. But now I see the light!!
scootertig
April 9, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
I have Cat Tracks (made by Seirus). I bought them because they seemed like a good thing to have, but found I almost never use them here in the Mid-Atlantic. Most of the time, I boot up in the lodge and head right out onto the snow.

On the other hand, out west, where I park a long way from the lifts, and there's no real "lodge" to boot up in (and basket rental is $10/day), I boot up at the car, put on the cat tracks, and walk to the lift.

Definitely a great accessory, but only when you need it!

aaron
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 9, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
There you go... I had them before and would fold them up when I got to the snow. Then one day I left them hidden where I usually went off to ski by the Cheat Mountain Pizza and they disappeared. This year I didn't use them and got some gouges in my new boots. Guess time to purchase a new pair.
JohnL
April 9, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
 Quote:
I usually just kick the back of my skis next to the rear of the binding. I thought everyone did this?

I do something similar. Before I step into my bindings, I always scrape the bottom of each boot across the front top edge of my binding. Simple, easy, effective, no awkward contortions needed. Only under extreme conditions do I need to use my poles to either scrape or hammer the bottom of my boots.

If I have cinders or mud on the bottom of my boots, I'll even drag my feet on the snow before hopping into the skis.

I've used Cat Tracks in the past. They will save on wear and tear of the bottom of your boots and sometimes provide additional traction. However, they'll generally get pretty muddy when you walk across a parking lot. Not real practical putting muddy objects into your coat pockets; especially when you already have a lot of other stuff in them.
JohnL
April 9, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
On a bit of a tangent, if anyone on this board can do a hop off both feet into their ski bindings, locking the bindings on landing, I'll give them major style points.

Jimmy, u need to try this! Another discussion topic for Timbers!
scootertig
April 9, 2008
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
 Originally Posted By: JohnL
On a bit of a tangent, if anyone on this board can do a hop off both feet into their ski bindings, locking the bindings on landing, I'll give them major style points.

Does it have to be on the snow?

Now that I've got a backup pair of skis, I can practice this...

aaron
Ullr
April 9, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Yep, Cat Tracks. I have a pair too. I only use them when it is a real long walk to the lift (i.e. staying across S. Lake tahoe Bulv, or you have to walk through the town to get to the ski area (Breck). Mostly just to save the boots though............
skier219
April 9, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I normally just whack my boots with a pole to knock the snow off. Doesn't seem to be as effective anymore. Plus, sometimes I miss and whale my knee!
Snowflake
April 11, 2008
Member since 02/7/2008 🔗
11 posts
This is why I snowboard..... ;\)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.