To tune or not to tune....that is the question?
5 posts
5 users
1k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
April 7, 2008
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
I have never been a wax and tune guy. Sure I get them done yearly but I always figured I wasn't racing the world cup or working at a resort. So for the avg skiing year less than 20 days on smaller hills. My tune should hold up for the year.
Valid or not.

How long should a tune hold?
Ullr
April 7, 2008
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Depends. A lot of east coast ice will dull an edge quickly. I usually summerize, then do a mid year tune after 10 days or so. Some people will tune as frequently as 3 - 5 days, but I am not core enough for that kind of $$$.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 7, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Here's my take. And I have to say my parameters are probably shaped by being a pilot, which does affect your mind. I consider my skis as a life support equipment. Same as brakes for the car. I don't go on a budget when it comes to maintaining the skis.

1. I do a tension check and full pre-tune every year.
2. After every ski day, I dry and use the liquid wax on the skis and check for damage especially the edges or any Ptex gouges that may interfere with skiing.
3. Every ski week I use the ski iron and wax and sharpen the skis.
4. After the season is over, I do a full apre-season tune which may entail machine grinding and Ptex repair.
5. My skis never ever see the storage room or garage. They are in my closet, a spotlessly clean place with low humidity. They go on a ski hanger, not on their side or against a wall as that may affect the camber later on.
6. I do a tune pre-season also.
7. Boots are also part of the life support equipment. I put them in a breathable boot bag so I don't end up with dust or, unlikely in my closet, little spiders making their home in the toes.

Having said that, I was aghast at the drastic drop in DIN settings because of one day in my life and may choose to set my own DIN in the future. I'll give it a try though.

I'm probably OCD on taking care of my skis, but on the other hand, they last like my cars. And usually, after every two or three years, I give a perfectly good - and safe- pair of skis to one of my friends.
comprex
April 7, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

The edges -should- hold up to a -reasonable- sharpness for 20 days, but only if you're not a hacker. Figure maybe 4-5 6-7hour days if you are before you definitely notice lack of grip on hardpack.

The wax should hold up up to 3 6-7hour days around here depending on snow quality, more than that and base damage is quite possible particularly the area next to the edges, and particularly near the binding.
skier219
April 7, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I have to wax every 3 days or so when skiing on manmade snow; I let the bases tell me when (ie, look for dry spots). At the same time, I sharpen the edges as needed. With this regular/minimal tuning, I rarely have to do a serious tune. That may only happen once a season. I never get shop tunes anymore; I found that they can't do as good of a finesse tune as me, and many shops are heavy-handed with the grinder, which can dramatically shorten the life of a ski.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.