Hello from Oakton, VA
6 posts
3 users
2k+ views
mwg
April 5, 2008
Member since 08/24/2005 🔗
46 posts
I joined this forum several years ago, but have only posted twice. I thought maybe I should finally introduce myself. I am a late 40's, currently non-working attorney and a stay at home mom of three boys (20, 15, 15.) I have been skiing for 13 years. The past 5 years I averaged 16-20 days skiing/year , but this year I managed to squeak in 40 days (16 out west.) I volunteered at Whitetail this year on the Safety Team and plan on doing it again next year. I am a member of Epic Ski - but rarely post (but I did get to ski with Philpug and family at Solitude and Alta with several other SkiDivas this spring!) I am also a member of TheSkiDiva.com where I post quite frequently.

I like this forum for local advice regarding where to ski and talks about weather conditions in the area. I also like the articles on places to ski and trip reports. It can be difficult to find people to ski with - particularly other women, so hopefully next year I can meet up with other D.C Ski people and get some runs in. DH doesn't ski and kids are very busy with homework/school activities these days, so I'm on my own.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
April 6, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Welcome.
40 ski days including 16 out West is very impressive for these parts. I'd say you don't post much because you're too busy skiing! Is Safety Team like the Ski Patrol or something else?
mwg
April 6, 2008
46 posts
Thanks for the welcome!

The Safety Team is different from the Ski Patrol. We work with the Patrol to promote safety on the mountain. The Safety Team members ski all the slopes of Whitetail during their shifts and monitor them for any safety issues. We help guests get up when they fall, put on their skis, etc. and if a guest is injured we radio the Patrol. We investigate some accidents (take pictures, interview witnesses, write up reports.) We open the mountain with the patrol when we are on the day shift and close the mountain when on the evening shift. One thing all Safety Team members have in common is a love of skiing. It is a lot of fun and all the people I work with at Whitetail are great!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 6, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Hi there mwg! Admire your commitment to the ski community. Several weeks ago, I started a thread on civility and skiing that got me thinking about doing something to get involved and joining the Courtesy patrol at Snowshoe, which does roughly the same as what you're doing at WT. Reading your post pushed me over the edge to make my decision. I ski normally between 40-60 days and have the time to spend at these tasks.

One question - have you had "attitude" from out-of-control skiers/boarders?
mwg
April 8, 2008
46 posts
I haven't had any "attitude" from out-of-control skiers/boarders while working at Whitetail. I think that being confronted by someone in uniform stays the tongue a little. However, I have encountered "attitude" on the slopes when not in uniform. It comes almost uniformly from teens/young twenty-somethings.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 8, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
 Originally Posted By: mwg
I haven't had any "attitude" from out-of-control skiers/boarders while working at Whitetail. I think that being confronted by someone in uniform stays the tongue a little. However, I have encountered "attitude" on the slopes when not in uniform. It comes almost uniformly from teens/young twenty-somethings.

Same perception here. We discussed that a while back on a civility on the slopes thread. As liberal as I am, sometimes I think we need Giuliani on the slopes... \:\/
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.