TR: Old Quebec, Mont Ste Anne, Le Massif
12 posts
7 users
3k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 30, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Folks, I just returned Saturday night from a great week in Quebec. Beaucoup de neige!! This Easter proved to be a great time for a visit, superb ski conditions, family had a great cultural experience in French Canada. Very successful and enriching ski vacation. I posted a bit more on this adventure at epic where I can more easily attach photos:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?p=887400#post887400

I plan to do a detailed story with my best pics for publication in the Fall on DCSki.

What a road trip. We drove up through NH on Good Friday. It was loaded with snow too, esp around Franconia Notch. Returned via VT and saw lots of snow in the Stratton area this past Friday. It is all true about the awesome ski season the Northeast is having.
hockeydave
March 30, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
After reading your post on Epic (excellent abbreviated TR), it just goes to show you that when us ugly Americans learn just minimal French (i.e. tourist phrases), the predominantly French speaking people of Quebec are extremely friendly and hospitable. I've never been skiing in Quebec, but my trips to Montreal to watch hockey (Penguins v Habs) at the citadel of the game (The Forum; never been to Bell Centre) were wonderful experiences. A mere "Bonjour", "Bonsoir", "Merci", "Bien Venue" & "Je ne parle pas Francais" go a long way to dispell the "Ugly American" stigma and also dispell the myth of the Quebecois being rude people.

It also looks like the record snowfall in New England & Quebec could possibly invalidate yet another myth... oops, didn't mean to go there.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
JimK,
As I posted when someone earlier, perhaps you, mentioned a possible ski trip to Quebec City, GO.
I have been twice in the winter, the first a trip with my son to ski Mount Saint Anne and Stoneham. staying at the Victoria Hotel in the walled city. The second time a few years ago to attend Winter Carnival (Quebec City's version of Mardi Gras) where I skied and she and I enjoyed the sights, food and atmosphere of Old Quebec and the carnival. What fun, what a different experience from any other ski slopes in North America, so European, so friendly, so exciting. I recommend that anybody thinking of this adventure, take it. Especially great for those with non-skiing family members. Winter Carnival is unique, with an Ice Palace, dog sled races, large canoe races in the St. Lawrence dodging and carrying the canoes over ice burgs, a park turned into a winter playground, toboggan runs on the promenade overlooking the St. Lawrence, etc. For the Winter Carnival we used Hilton points and stayed at their hotel overlooking the old city, across the street from the old walls.
I wanted to get to Le Massif but it is a bit more of a drive from downtown Quebec City. It was expanded a few years ago to create a ski area with sufficient vertical to allow a failed bid to host the Winter Olympic Games. You can get a multi-day, multi-area pass to all three of these ski areas plus one more close to Quebec City.
I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I remember my experiences fondly.
The Colonel \:\)
VTRocks
March 30, 2008
Member since 03/30/2008 🔗
1 posts
Quebec is magnificent. France in North America. With sophistication and manners. I love seeing bilingual signs in the US once you go north of Burlington. Proves we're not all provincial Hee-haws. Vive la différence et la Diversité. Hockeydave, I'm with you!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Nous devons renouveler l'enthousiasme pour la diversité! Great report! And totally agree with Hockey! Quebec City is the rage. It's like a huge open air coffeehouse. And certainly agree with your assessment. It is not Disney, it is real, all 500 years of it. I love it. And then up the St Lawrence, Montreal is about one of the greatest cities in the Western Hemisphere. And the skiing... And the spectacular views.

Worth noting that North America isn't only Canada, US and Mexico, but also France, that has a Territoire d' Ultramer right between the US and Canada.
hockeydave
March 30, 2008
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
I agree with all of the above assessments of La Belle Province. I could go on and on about Montréal. So many fond memories. Culture, sophistication, architecture, clean beautiful neighborhoods, great cuisine. Even the McDonalds tasted better; poutine is to die for (poutine is a dish consisting of French fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with gravy). And in my single days when I was permitted to notice, without question, Montreal possessed the most beautiful women in North America, hands down. Old Montreal (Le Vieux-Port) is breathtaking sitting along the St Lawrence with its cobblestone streets and fantastic restaurants and outdoor cafes. Also, if you don't believe in God before walking into the Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal, chances are you will by the time you exit.

Anyways, my wife and I are thinking of going North next year instead of West, so any ideas on where to stay and ski and what to visit (in Quebec City; never been there) would be appreciated.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
hockeydave,
Take a look at my post above. Unless you are dead set on staying slopeside, then Quebec City is the place to stay. Now if you go to Tremblant, a different story, stay slopeside. Much further to Montreal and lots more traffic. Quebec City is a small city in comparison.
The Colonel \:\)
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2008
1,535 posts
Allez-vous avec des enfants? Does make a difference... There are numerous inns in Quebec, my preferred lodging method. Oh well... the last time in Montreal I stayed in the Fairmont Q.E. on top of the train station but that's because I was dead tired and was taking the Montrealer back to DC the next day.

Check http://www.selectquebecinns.com/ for some amazing properties.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 30, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Col, for three nights I stayed in the very same Hotel Manoir Victoria in Old Quebec. Very nice four star, close to Basilica of Notre Dame, Chateau Frontenac, etc, and pretty reasonable for the primo location.
I also stayed two nights at a nice country hotel associated with a renowned French restaurant called Auberge La Camarine near Mont Ste Anne.
Here's a link to more photos of the variety of lifts we rode at Mont Ste Anne ski area: http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic13375
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2008
1,535 posts
Bubble top lifts are awesome. Especially in the Quebec and Northern New England weather. They can make an excruciatingly cruel ascent an otherwise normal and relatively comfortable one.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2008
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I skied St. Anne and Le Massif in Jan. 01. The 00-01 season was the last great one before this year, perhaps even better. We were there during the Quebec Winter Carnival in Jan. It had not rained or thawed for a month and watching skiers as one rode the lifts there was only silence, no noise of edges on hardpack, just silence. Add the St. Lawrence 2000 feet below and you have a truly memorable experience. Everything said above about Le Difference is true. It is a must for any skier.
b2otto2
March 31, 2008
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
 Originally Posted By: JimK

What a road trip. We drove up through NH on Good Friday. It was loaded with snow too, esp around Franconia Notch. Returned via VT and saw lots of snow in the Stratton area this past Friday. It is all true about the awesome ski season the Northeast is having.

Yep, I was in Vermont all of last week, some of the best conditions I have ever skied in. Skied Killington, Sugarbush and Stratton on the way home. Stratton had over 10" of snow on Friday, and only cost me $25.00 to ski there with my Snowshoe season pass.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.