And We Wonder Why The Slopes Close?!
7 posts
7 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 29, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Late in the season there are always DCSkiers who question why the resorts still having multiple trails open and good conditions choose to cease operations.
Well, one look at the WISP webcams of just a few minutes ago provides the answer. Here I am at home looking at nearly deserted, well groomed, and well covered slopes on a fantastic cool late season ski day. It makes no economic sense to continue operations. And the fact that this would be a "cold" weekend has been forecast for some days. The few dieheart skiers/boarders do not a crowd and thus an extended ski season make, unfortunately.
The Colonel \:\(
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 29, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Agree wholeheartedly. The W&OD and Mt Vernon Bike Trails right by the Potomac are full of cyclists. On late March and early April, people in our area literally "flip a switch". In go the skis and boards and winter coats, out go the bicycles, inline skates and kayaks.
kwillg6
March 31, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
DISGUSTING
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Wisp website says they are closed for the season, so I guess they did give up despite the fact that their slopes are still well covered.
Leo
March 31, 2008
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
I think it is probably "pent up" demand for spring activities. In other words, in early winter when the slopes first get covered but you maybe could still be mountain biking or something, the slopes are probably crowded and the mountain bike trails not.

But then in early spring, when you could do either, you choose biking b/c it has been months since you got in a good ride.

I am not offering excuses for the people who are not on the slopes, only a plausible explanation for this occurrence.
therusty
March 31, 2008
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
The Tail End event at Whitetail was a refreshing experiment regarding this theory. Over 100 people paid (note: season pass holders had to pay and advantage card holders got no discount) to ride all day on the tubing hill (that was converted into a terrain park) and be in a competition.

It was nice to see all that snow get put to good use. Alas 100 people is not enough to justify fully opening the resort. We'll see if 100 people is enough to hold more of these kinds of events in the future. Management did seem pleased with the numbers.
bawalker
March 31, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I feel really bad that with moving and such I never got to do my march thing on the slopes. I feel like I helped contribute to early closings that weren't really needed.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?