Hidden Valley late-season plans
32 posts
15 users
16k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 21, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I just received a note from Hidden Valley Resort with their current plans for the remainder of the season. This is what they're currently planning:

Easter weekend (Rates $15 - $20)
March 21 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
March 22 - 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
March 23 - 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Closed - Monday, March 24 through Friday, March 28

Reopen valley slopes for Saturday and Sunday, March 29 and 30 - 9AM to 5PM. All lift tickets $15 that weekend.

Closed - Monday March 31st to Friday April 4th

Anticipate reopening Saturday and Sunday April 5 and 6.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 22, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Good for them. Buncher is definitely doing it up right.
Lots of cold weather anticipated for the next few weeks make this all possible.
Happy Easter everbody.
The Colonel \:\)
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
March 24, 2008
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Conditions were excellent this weekend and sweetened by 2" of snow on Saturday. Sunday the corderoy was perfect.
snosnugums
April 2, 2008
Member since 04/10/2006 🔗
126 posts
Hidden Valley will be open this weekend, April 5 and 6. This will be my first opportunity to ski in the month of April here in the Mid-Atlantic. The web site says they still have 3 feet of snow on the slopes. Anyone for a little corn?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
skier219
April 3, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I think we passed corn snow weather a while ago -- think wet granular from here on out!
April 7, 2008
1,576 posts
The new grooming machines can do some amazing things with corn/granular/wet "snow". I skied Saturday and Sunday at Hidden Valley and was amazed at the quality of the skiing surface. I uderstand that they spent a significant number of hours grooming the surface and the results paid off... for the 10 or so skiers that showed up. This was not a money making venture by HV, but it demonstrated their commitment to provide season pass holders with as much skiing as they can get out of a Mid-Atlantic ski season. Given the amount of rain, the trail count had dwindled to just 3 main routes. If it was not for the rain, there may have been more terrain open.
On Sunday, I skied with the ski patrol who were all very friendly. It was a blast skiing in April here in the Mid-Atlantic. Obviously, there are other places to ski in the USA that have great conditions this time of year and I wish I could get away from my job to enjoy these places. However, I need to work to pay the bills, so Hidden Valley provided an opportunity for some fun Spring skiing this past weekend.
Thanks HV!
gizmosnow
April 10, 2008
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Well, just noticed Hidden Valley says on website that they WILL be open for skiing this Saturday and Sunday for $10. A look at the webcams and, while not great, HV looks to have enough coverage to open Imperial, Continental and Rambler. 7Springs looks 'all washed up'.

I had heard it said that Buncher wanted to demonstrate that they could do better than 7Springs at making snow and in the end, as well as all season long, I believe they have proved that they can.
WPABoarder
April 10, 2008
Member since 01/20/2006 🔗
22 posts
I talked to some people at HV and they indicated that Imperial and Continental would be open this weekend. They said they have to do a little pushing at the terminals but have good coverage in between. They weren't going to open the beginners hill because they were going to prepare for their rail jam.

Did you notice that they have taken down the old snow guns on Cobra? I wonder if they are installing the new guns on Cobra? Any word on their plans?
snosnugums
April 10, 2008
126 posts
Given what was accomplished during the Fall of 2007, it will be interesting to see what happens this Spring and Summer. I heard the two double lifts will be taken down soon after the season ends. I also heard that they're having alot of problems with the loading carpet and are considering their options regarding this device.
April 11, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Too bad about the carpet...I had hopes it could help with the lift problems at Tline. Anybody hear any more about Laurel?
imp - DCSki Supporter 
April 13, 2008
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
The loading carpet at the Hv Quad had some electrical problems
that are now fixed, different voltages and other greek stuff.
Once the crowd learns how easy it is it greatly improved the
Rail jam had 48 entrants and went very well.
Sunday is the last day for the Blizzard and Lightning lifts,
new Quad this summer. New Technos on Cobra,rambler, riveria and
modet t.
as for Laurel still waiting but hoping

imp
Edgar3
April 13, 2008
Member since 05/29/2007 🔗
149 posts
Will it be a high speed quad replacing Blizzard/Lightning?

Good to hear the transformation starting last fall is continuing. With more snow guns, things will be really sweet next season. Any word on breaking ground for the new lodge/hotel; Isn't that supposed to start this year?

With cutting of the new slopes, this year looks like things will be as much of a construction site as last fall.
snosnugums
April 13, 2008
126 posts
What about Road Runner, the trail under the Blizzard and Lightning lifts? Will they be adding snow making to that trail? This would be a good addition to Imperial and Cobra.
April 14, 2008
1,576 posts
I too hope that snow making gets added to Road Runner. Perhaps they can leave it ungroomed and it can be the bump run, entertaining us lift riders.
I doubt they would place an express lifth here...too short.
lmmlaw
April 16, 2008
Member since 03/3/2008 🔗
18 posts
 Originally Posted By: imp
Sunday is the last day for the Blizzard and Lightning lifts, new Quad this summer.
imp

Chairs....POOF!

Cable....POOF!

We had a very hard time getting the kid (3yo) on these lifts - too fast, too something, but we always got tangled up. Can't wait for next season
April 21, 2008
1,576 posts
I have not been to HV in a while. Anyone have any updates?
Leo
April 22, 2008
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
I was there this past weekend. It appeared to me that they had built concrete forms for additional snow maker bases on the front side. I assume the same new guns will be going in in these locations which would continue to enhance snow cover and quality on the mountain, and also continue to eliminate some of the old guns.

The ones I could see from where I was were on upper Rambler. I am not sure how many total new "forms" in all there were.

This is all I noticed, however, it was a work weekend, so I wasn't out and about too much.
Edgar3
April 28, 2008
Member since 05/29/2007 🔗
149 posts
I HV has posted plans for the 08/09 Season:

http://www.myhiddenvalleyresort.com/PressReleases/Hidden%20Valley%20Alert-4.25.2008.pdf

Some of this has been expected, but there were a few good tidbits including:

- New Warming hut on North Slopes, with ticket office and refreshments. I am really glad to see this, since this past season the trailer was closed, and I really like just pulling into the North Lot and avoiding the time of going through the main lodge.
- New snow guns to be expanded by 150%. This should put the new guns on most of the mountain.
- Although they mention that they plan to go forward with cutting the new outback trails this year, they mention that they are still in permitting and planning stage, so it looks like it would be later in the year we might see some activity over there.
Taylormatt
May 3, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
Has there been any word of mountain biking? I had heard they were bringing in rentals. I'm wondering if they've released a plan to revive the trails that were destroyed by the logging?

Anyone heard anything?
Taylormatt
May 3, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
To answer my own post, I just made a call to my friend that runs the Shop at HV and got some good news.

46 Norcos for a rental fleet are in and the trails are being cleaned up as well as bridges being built. Looks like the trail system up here is going to get bigger and better.

Bike shop should be open June 1st.

I think I'll have to go there next Saturday and check out the trails.
May 3, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Buncher, Buncher, he's our man,
If he can't do it, nobody can!!!
I wish he would buy Timberline!!!
jeffo4
May 4, 2008
Member since 08/24/2007 🔗
134 posts
I was at hv today and the ski shop said they were preparing the sunrise lift to carry bikes up for the mountain bike trails. They hope to have it all ready by memorial day. Also great deals at the ski shop.
imp - DCSki Supporter 
May 5, 2008
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
The intent at Hidden Valley is to provide shuttle service for
gatting bikes up the mountain, to what ever trail head you want.
sunrise lift is getting its terminals redone this summer along with sunset.
heard there are people in the woods reopening bike trails and also starting to cut the new north summit trails.

imp
May 5, 2008
1,576 posts
I recently heard that they will be cutting the new Outback trails this summer, but they will not open to skiing until 2009/2010. Yes mountain biking will also be part of the new HV. Stay tuned for news on additional improvements. I also understand that Laurel Mnt is still in negotiation with the State. How about getting Buncher to buy Blue Knob??????
jimmy
May 6, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
 Originally Posted By: snowsmith
How about getting Buncher to buy Blue Knob??????

??????
May 6, 2008
1,576 posts
 Quote:
??????

??????????.....?
jimmy
May 6, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
\:D Good Reply SnowSmith, just curious why you think that???
SkiBoarder
May 6, 2008
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
There were some decent and technical single track trails above and through Voyager and Wagner on the North Face. It would be great to have the trails, BC bridges and obstacles back to ride.

I will need to bring up the FS to ride, if the trails are redone.
May 6, 2008
1,576 posts
Well Jim, I guess I was assuming that Blue Knob could use some improvements to make it a better ski area and the Buncher's seem to have deep pockets and a commitment to improving the skiing experience at Hidden Valley. Blue Knob has some great terrain. With some investment in modernized snow making equipment, it could be an ever better place to ski. Not that Buncher would do this anyway. The few times Ihave skied at Blue Knob it has been very icey.
Taylormatt
May 6, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
If you are coming up here in the Summer and not riding Laurel just down the road...you are robbing yourself of the best riding in the Laurels, hands down.
SkiBoarder
May 7, 2008
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
is there a trail map for Laurel? Or where can I find info on the trails? I would love to check out some new trails.
Taylormatt
May 7, 2008
Member since 12/3/2004 🔗
339 posts
We ride there nearly every weekend. Let me know when you're here and join us or here is the map link: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/linnrun/linnrun_mini.pdf

It shows most of the trails, but the expert MTB only trails aren't shown.

Bring the FS \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?