Giving Up So Soon!
7 posts
7 users
1k+ views
TomH
March 18, 2008
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Boy - I remember a lot of crying in November and early December about ski resorts not putting out the goods. I see a bunch of posts about people hanging it up for the year. Can't speak for elsewhere, but Timberline has tons of great snow and no crowds so I wouldn't give up yet. One things for sure, conditions now are way better than December when everyone is so raring to go.
giantjr
March 18, 2008
Member since 09/18/2006 🔗
29 posts
No crying here...I have a trip planned (30 people) to Timberline for the whole week over Easter. Leave Friday and looking forward to spring skiing. March is the best time to ski mid-Atlantic. I cannot understand why so few people take advantage of slopes end of season. Timberline has all the main runs open. In fact, there are more runs open than January. I know a lot of DC skiers went up for snowy luau, but why not another gathering over Easter weekend? Anyone up for it? I'll be there with about 30 people.
lmmlaw
March 18, 2008
Member since 03/3/2008 🔗
18 posts
We did 7S and HV last weekend - ice, ice, and more ice with a side order of death cookies. No fun for the kidlet. We called it a day early on both days.
David
March 18, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: lmmlaw
We did 7S and HV last weekend - ice, ice, and more ice with a side order of death cookies. No fun for the kidlet. We called it a day early on both days.

Mmmmmmmm, cookies....
skier219
March 18, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
In general, people start losing interest in skiing in this area come March, even when conditions are good. I would definitely be giving people a hard time about that! I have experienced spectacular powder days in March, and one year in early April at Snowshoe, and I couldn't believe so few people were skiing. I definitely have a hard time understanding when people give up under good or epic conditions.

In a mostly normal season, March is often the best month to ski in this area. This is not one of those seasons, and I am not seeing favorable local weather in the near term that will change things much. Weather-wise, near term is 7-10 days, so beyond that I still have hope for a spring powder dump before all the resorts close! But overall, I wouldn't fault anyone for giving up early this time around; it has been a tough/stressful season for those of us obsessed with ski conditions and weather. I'm already directing my attention to hopes for next season. Whether or not I spend a few days skiing on slush during the remainder of this season isn't really going to change my outlook much.
comprex
March 18, 2008
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
-shrug- I've plenty of interest and a doubtful knee.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
 Originally Posted By: comprex
-shrug- I've plenty of interest and a doubtful knee.

Tried one of the new orthopedic knee braces? They DO work wonders

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.