DCSkiers Meet Up At Snowy Luau
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Just a quick note...Timberline's Snowy Luau was a blast. Several DCSkiers met up to ski a few runs together. Pretty good conditions. I'll post pictures, videos of the crazy "whatever will slide" contest and more later this week.
Aloha,
The Colonel \:\)
kwillg6
March 17, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,067 posts
Actually, Morgan, the conditions ended up being great for the entire weekend. I enjoyed the runs we had. The Mrs and I spent the entire afternoon making mogals on the drop and OTW. Then again on Sunday AM with the snow from overnight, the skiing was pretty durn good. I was surprised that there was more fresh (2-3")on those two than where they groomed it into submission on the front of the hill. I do think, without a doubt, that we will be skiing come April 6th on the majority of that mountain.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I was late getting to the mountain on Sunday morning, about 10:40 so I missed the morning meet-up. I saw no DCSkiers one at the 2:30 Sat meet-up. I thought the Drop and Off The Wall was great on Sat afternoon. By the time I hit them on Sunday they were full of ice moguls and really tough on my knee.
I tried the NASTAR Sunday afternoon and got my usual bronze medal. Interesting course layout, the first three gates were not that spread out from side to side, more like a slalom course. Then, when one is flying the next gate was way, way right, and tighter to the one above, I nearly missed it. The next three gates were also quite wide from the center axis, more like a giant slalom course. Of course, with the course being all ice, this meant good edges and mine were really dull. I ran the course a second time and had nearly identical difficulties as my first run, too much speed and no edges. Oh well...
Please help me remember the names of the other DCSkiers we met.
One was TGD or Tom I think. One was SCWVA, name ?. And of course your lovely wife, Monica (?). Did you meet any others?
You all should have entered the synchronized skiing contest, you were near perfect on the runs I skied with you, and far better than any of the groups I saw during the contest. Speaking of contests, did you see the "anything that can slide" contest? Some really remarkable entries, I took lots of pictures and video and had to laugh out loud.
All in all, a good weekend!
Take care,

The Colonel \:\)
crunchy
March 17, 2008
Member since 02/22/2007 🔗
596 posts
sorry didnt meet you all but I saw the derby \:\) here ya go..

these little santas were fast!

executing fine rafting technique on a peice of sheetmetal

just need to paint 'farm use' on this one and it could be street legal

morgan chase can ski on anything

hmmm..

the grand finale of hilarity!
SkiBumMSP
March 18, 2008
Member since 12/8/2004 🔗
224 posts
To bad I missed it this year. I've just got back from Las Vegas on a business trip that weekend, thus there was no way I could've made it up there. Sounded like an awesome time.

Also to add - this upcoming weekend will most likely be it for me. I'll be skiing at Massanutten for it's final weekend of the season, closing the place up on Sunday the 23rd.

bawalker
March 22, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I absolutely hated that I missed this as well. I'm actually in Charleston, SC and ended up leaving on the 14th and won't be back until the 24th. Although my goal is to get up there within a week from now and get some turns in to hit up timberline at least once this year.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 22, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Brad in Charleston SC? Did you get on the right airplane? \:\)
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?