Gondola = PITA?
17 posts
12 users
3k+ views
jimmy
March 16, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Is it just me or is riding a Gondola a pain in the a$$ compared to a chairlift......

Gondola: take u skis off load them on the door if u got twin tips u need two slots, get in slide across take off u helmit and gloves because it's warm in there get to the top put gloves and helmet back on slide across bump head on ceiling when u stand up to get out, chase car around unload area to get u skis out of the door walk back to the snow and it freezes on the bottom of u boots scrape boots over top of ur bindings to get the frozen snow off, step into your bindings and ski.

Chairlift: Sit down, lower safety bar (unless ur at Alta) ride chair to top, raise bar, stand up and ski.

You tell me which is better?
skier219
March 16, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
I agree 100%. I avoid gondolas unless they are the only way up!
David
March 16, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
I skied last year with a guy at Killington that was using ski-blades. Poor guy had to unlatch his leash, unhook his bindings, then hold them all the way up. At the top he was always the last one ready to go. Needless to say he bought a pair of "Big Boy Skis" when we got back.
Norsk
March 16, 2008
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
True enough...but gondolas ain't so bad on very cold days.

The other positive of gondolas (and especially aerial trams) is that they can scale terrain that chairlits can't -- like big cliffs that require big gaps between the towers.

Hard to understand the logic at a place like Vail, where it rarely gets very cold and the terrain doesn't require it. Must be a perceived luxury or wannabe Euro thing.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
camp
March 16, 2008
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts
I don't like gondolas anymore either since I started tele skiing. Even though my bindings are easier than most tele bindings, they still aren't step-ins, and gondolas became a hassle.
JohnL
March 16, 2008
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
So Jimmy, post motivated by a day at Snowbasin?

Gondola + twin tips or wide powdah skis + skiing with a larger group or skiing in the singles line = total suckage.

Plus Mr. big-shot Earl Holding at Snowbasin seems to be scrimping a bit this year and has fewer lift attendants to help you get your skis loaded on the Gondjeloas. Only time I ever want help with someone carrying or loading my skis, and they don't provide it.
RodSmith
March 17, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
You can do things on a gondi that would be difficult and/or risky on a chairlift. They ascend faster than fixed grip chairs. Detachable chairlifts have taken away that advantage.
kwillg6
March 17, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
 Originally Posted By: RodSmith
You can do things on a gondi that would be difficult and/or risky on a chairlift.

Are we talking ah..... something "Extra" special here?????
Scott - DCSki Editor
March 17, 2008
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hmm. No wonder the windows are always fogged up.
David
March 17, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Catchin' a buzz on the Gondie huh? I sure did on the K1 last winter. Stupid potheads.....
RodSmith
March 17, 2008
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
 Originally Posted By: kwillg6
 Originally Posted By: RodSmith
You can do things on a gondi that would be difficult and/or risky on a chairlift.

Are we talking ah..... something "Extra" special here?????

If you find riding gondola to cause PITA, you might be gay.
kwillg6
March 17, 2008
2,066 posts
This is beginning to sound like a foxworthy thing... "if you.....you might be a redneck" I dunno bout the PITA-gay thing. I thought Jimmy was talking bout hemroids.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
March 17, 2008
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Gonna get this thread back on topic:
I'm partial to gondolas (and trams). I guess I like the novelty and that they seem to take me back to childhood at Disneyland or something. Most kids get a kick out them. Gondis seem to give some novices a better comfort factor than chairlifts (particularly hairy chairs without safety bars). I don't find the hassle of taking off skis too difficult, easier than in the old days of safety straps. But if you want to pound vertical a HSQ probably wastes less time and energy.

Did you guys see the amazing variety of lift photos in this thread/TR:
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic13054
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Thanks, JimK for the reference to the lift photos site. Remember when Homestead first opened and they had a sort of funicular? I really like the new lift: an 8 pack with heated seats and a bubble. And I think places like Timberline should take a look at the new loading conveyor belts to aid loading. One was installed at HV this year. With this the chair can run much faster with less yard sale stops.
The Colonel \:\)
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
When you're going up the gondola at Stowe with the temperature at -20F, a gondola is a heavenly experience. Frankly, on some days, I wish the Western Express at Snowshoe was a gondola. 30 MPH wind on your back at -10F and blowing snow is not the ideal condition for a chair...
kwillg6
March 18, 2008
2,066 posts
On days as you describe, Lou, i wouldn't venture over to Cupp. There would be little snow to ski until you got close to mid.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 18, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
You are sooooo right... Wit foour days ago. We had a 4-6 inch snowfall that doubled on the leeward side from all the drift.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?