ALERT: Silver Creek Closing For Season on 3/17
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I noticed that this morning's Snowshoe snow report indicates that the Silver Creek slopes, night skiing and tubing hill will close for the season this coming Monday. Sunday 3/16 is the last day. The Snowshoe slopes will remain open for two more weeks.
Closing Silver Creed early is a regular season occurrence, but I was thinking that they would keep them open during the school Easter break. I certainly have not seen any announcement from the Shoe about the closing. Wonder what they do with folks booked into Silver Creek lodging expecting a ski in, ski out stay?
The Colonel \:\)
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
They're out of luck I guess... Mother nature hasn't been good at SNowshoe (or anywhere in the Mid Atlantic ski world) over the past few weeks. Today the weather at SS went up into the 50s. Lots of melting. Then at around 1400 it started raining, drizzling, showers, etc. I am not the management of the resort, but I would guess they want to concentrate on getting the main face up to speed for the next two weekends before the season ends. If so, it would be a sound decision, IMHO
Murphy
March 14, 2008
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
I believe that closing date was set months ago...but I could be mistaken.
skier219
March 15, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
They have always closed around March 15 or so, regardless of holiday/school schedules or conditions (good or bad). I recall one year in recent memory when Silver Creek closed the Monday right after a major weekend powder dump! I would have paid extra to ski Flying Eagle that day. I am sure it was poached.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2008
1,535 posts
I asked and the closing is as planned. But in any case, went out, did two runs and came back. I have brand new AC-40s that I want to keep in good shape instead of having to get new Ptex after skiing some of the runs today...
MadMonk
March 15, 2008
Member since 12/27/2004 🔗
235 posts
Skied Silver Creek yesterday and it was in pretty good shape ... at least compared to the Basin area. The Basin area was just in terrible shape. The Widowmaker trails were a complete wreck and required some solid strategery to dodge the various bare spots. Knot Bumper had a sign up warning of "Thin Cover" that was generous. The first little drop was completely bare save for a sliver of snow no wider than two-feet. The other trails were also showing wear with several thin spots. I'd be surprised if they make it another two weeks.
David
March 15, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
 Originally Posted By: MadMonk
The Widowmaker trails were a complete wreck and required some solid strategery to dodge the various bare spots.

Oh my, you had me laughing on that one!! Looks like you didn't put too much thought into it and took just off blindly. You then came to find out it was a mess and you were stuck in the middle with no exit "strategery"....Gosh that sounds familar. I just can't put my finger on it though \:o \:o
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2008
1,535 posts
To save the weekend... Mother Nature and the Creator of the Founding Fathers came and changed the weather... Started snowing around 1600 and by 1800 we have at least an inch. Took Thunder to the snow and he went nuts with the snowfall. Hope it snows all night.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.