Snowshoe Road Washed Out
10 posts
5 users
2k+ views
b2otto2
March 6, 2008
Member since 02/1/2003 🔗
65 posts
Just want to warn everyone coming to Snowshoe this weekend, that the north mountain road to Snowshoe has been washed out because of this weeks heavy rains. Everyone must use the south entrance. I just got of the phone with the front desk, they report it will be closed for 2 weeks for repairs.

Brad
David
March 6, 2008
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Wow, two weeks is a long time. Must be pretty bad then. Thanks for the info.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Thanks!!!
But which is the north road: the new one through Cass, or the one up from Slatyfork and the Inn?
The Colonel \:\)
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 6, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Only one way up. Redgate Road that intersects Rt 66 from Cass. If you come via 219 and Slatyfork, you may not turn left at the base of Snowshoe to come up Snowshoe Road by the golf course. You have to go another 4 miles on local route 66 to the back road.
March 6, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Lou,
So I assume then if DCSkiers come the back way, from Seneca Rocks via 33 & 28 through Greenbank to 66 and up the mountain to the slopes, that this way is open?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 7, 2008
1,535 posts
Yes indeed. The only way to get up the mountain now. Even then, expect minor delays are there are repairs on that road too. Many of the drainage ditches and culverts were washed away and they're having to be repaired. And in several areas, there was separation between the road and the shoulder, so be on the lookout.
bawalker
March 8, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
And I thought it rained hard and bad here. :-s
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2008
1,535 posts
Mmm... Federal disaster at Snowshoe in the winter? Woo-Hoo....
March 8, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
The problems with the Snowshoe drive make be think about the ultimate nightmare.
Several times in March I have literally been snowed in at the Shoe, and then obviously forced to ski another couple of days.
But what if it rained so hard that all the slopes were wiped clean and all exits from the resort were closed and one was stuck at the mountain top. What a nightmare!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2008
1,535 posts
Would be a nightmare but I don't think it has happened in memory. Even in the Great Flood year of 1985. Fortunately, Snowshoe has an amazing recovery capability and as of this afternoon, virtually every snow gun in the resort was belching snow along with the helping hand of Mother Nature. It's been snowing now for about 9 hours nonstop and we probably have several inches that I can't verify since I have my ski condo on the Western side immediately below the village and that side has been blasted by 50MPH + winds.

It would be great, however, to have been here for the Great President's Day Blizzard in the 90s when Snowshoe got about 60 inches....

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.