Perfect Storm 2008?
11 posts
7 users
3k+ views
kwillg6
March 4, 2008
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I've been watching this for the past week and finally, someone is saying there is the POTENTIAL for this storm to happen.

Late-week Noreaster?Updated: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 7:56 AM
Looking past the current storm at the next major storm for the East, a major snow event for the interior Northeast may be shaping up. A low will form midweek in the Gulf and depending on its track, areas from Tennessee to Maine could see snowfall. The heaviest snow for the Northeast will occur if this system moves up the coastline as is suggested. Areas inland may see over a foot of snow while the major cities of the I-95 corridor will have a wintry mix to contend with. The AccuWeather.com Winter Weather Center will have the latest throughout this next system.

Forecast by AccuWeather.com

On March 15,16 of 1993 mountain areas such as the shoe received almost 50" during the perfect storm. \:D It could happen again or is it wishful thinking on my part?
bawalker
March 4, 2008
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
ohohoh finally something to hit the Wardensville area. As of this point for this year, we've had a grand total of 2 snows resulting in a grand total of 7". Does anyone know what the totals are for CV/TL areas thus far and whether they are coming in under their average?
jonjon1
March 4, 2008
Member since 09/11/2006 🔗
187 posts
I've measured 120" here in Davis. I think Canaan Heights is pushing 140". Overall, around normal snowfall -- its the snowpack that has been way below normal this year.

As for the storm later this week -- I am concerned that it will track further west than currently projected meaning a rain to snow on the backend scenario for us here, which has happened a lot this winter.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 4, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Can we do snowdances, light candles, pray to osages, orishas and Miss Cleo in jail so all crystal balls and the weather gods bring that winter storm our way?
skier219
March 4, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
The models are still changing with every run, but it looks like somewhere in the inland mid-A area could cash in with 12-15 inches by Sunday. One model run showed a wide swath of PA to hit the jackpot, another had the hotspot right over Canaan Valley. Too early to bank on, other than to say something's coming!
jimmy
March 4, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Craig i'm looking at this forecast lately. \:D
skier219
March 4, 2008
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
 Originally Posted By: jimmy
Craig i'm looking at this forecast lately. \:D

Yeah, I'm looking at Alta too, and getting excited! The forecast I'm pulling is for the mid-mountain area and shows a few degrees cooler than what the NWS puts on their website. Looks like we're going to have mild weather plus snow heading into early next week! Do you know what day you're going to hit Alta?
jimmy
March 4, 2008
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
We usually don't decide til Night before or morning of based on snow reports. I suspect we'll hit Snowbasin on the 9th cause it's usually least crowded on the weekend, planning to ski with Tromano there. We'll be at Alta while you're there just not sure which day. Kind of makes it hard to plan to meet someone out there i think we have five or six going this year and i'm low man on the totem pole. Crush was easy though, call him about 10:30 on the day we were at the canyons and he was usually halfway up the Gondi.
appskiah
March 4, 2008
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
i'm excited about the possibility of the 2nd storm later this week. However, if it does snow later in the week, it might be too late for some ski areas or at least for a lot skiable terrain (unless it snows 2 feet). From looking at the webcams for the NC resorts, it appears they took quite a beating today. I didn't get a chance to look at any mid-atlantic resort webcams, but their bases don't hold up any better than NC (sans alleghany's). any trail with thin coverage will be toast after wednesday. i'm skiing at Snowshoe this weekend and hoping for the best. But the edges of the trails and trees will probably be done. if it does snow Friday, it'll be a race to ski the 5 or so trails snowshoe leaves ungroomed. \:\(
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 4, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
appskiah, don't get your hopes too high. It took me two hours to go down to the base of the mountain to get a couple of things for my family today. Tried to go to the base village to go to the Market by the Inn at Snowshoe. The road was unpassable, covered by a foot of swift running water at the golf course, with massive erosion all the way down the road. Went back up and tried Redgate Road. That was blocked too. Turned around and went to Greenbank to get gas and more supplies. The road there had significant damage too.

The rain was a four-hour gully washer. I still haven't made it up to the slopes from my condo as I took the day off from skiing to do chores, but my family did ski today and besides telling me that they were the only ones on the slopes, there was substantial snowmelt. We'll see tomorrow...
appskiah
March 4, 2008
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
thanks for the update lou. i will be curious to hear whats left of the snowpack tomorrow

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.