Ski/Snowboarding movies
14 posts
10 users
5k+ views
bawalker
February 12, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Does anyone know a list of skiing/snowboarding based movies, or any movies that have alot of good slope shots? I already have the following:

Out Cold
Snowboarding School

Any others?

jimmy
February 12, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Warren Miller pretty much does it for me, check out Freeriders. Also for R rated entertainment, Hot Dog the Movie is a "classic"?
wgo
February 12, 2004
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,667 posts
I remember "Aspen Extreme" as having some pretty good skiing scenes. Also, although not
exactly a skiing movie, there are some skiing scenes in "Better Off Dead"
TOMF
February 12, 2004
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
"Extreme Ops" came out a year or two ago. It has a lot of action scenes, including skiing, but its not a very good movie.

"Ski Patrol" is maybe 10 years old. If you like Adam Sandler movies, then this might appeal to you (heh heh).

(Anonymous)
February 12, 2004
If you are into the newschool movement:

http://www.poorboyz.com/index_flash.html -- Lots of stuff in the park, tricks on mountain.

Recommendation: Happy Dayz, Propoganda (my fav ski movie of all time)

The best ski movie compnay right now is Match Stick Productions (mspfilms.com) They have really amazing shots.

May I recommend: Focused, Ski Movie 3

Also check out teton gravity research (www.tetongravity.com)

May I recommend: High Life

JohnL
February 12, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
For ski videos, Greg Stump had several in the late 80's/early 90's that are classics. He put Warren Miller to shame during that period.
- The Blizzard of Aahhh's
- Groove
- P-Tex, Lies and Duct Tape

Anything by Teton Gravity Research (TGR)(www.tetongravity.com)
Edit: ( I think the domain name www.tetongravityresearch.com was bought by a "spoofing" company)

SnoWhat? by Warren Miller (Plake & Hattrup) was a throw-away video that became a bit of a cult classic

Movies with skiing in them:
Downhill Racer (Redford)
Hot Dog, ... the Movie
Better Off Dead (John Cusack)
Several James Bond flicks
Series of pretty cheesy movies, Ski School?

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 02-12-2004).]

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
Two of my favorites:

The Front Line -- Matchstick Productions
Freeriders -- Warren Miller

canaanman
February 12, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Well.. if you want great snowboarding movies:

Pulse
TB 9 (and most of the TB Series)
The Resistance
Afterbang

NCskier
February 13, 2004
Member since 12/12/2003 🔗
30 posts
Hey yall forgot session 1242...the bset ski movie ever.

Good ski movies:
Forward
Ski Movie 3
Focused(the part in the Bronx with Steele Spence is awesome)
For Warren Miller:
the best is Freeriders
2nd Cold Fusion
Storm is alright, but I'd go with MSP TGR or boor boyz before you go with storm.
If you want, you can record some recent W. Miller movies on the STARZ! Superpak. the have Fifty, Cold Fusion, and ride.
Does anyone know where to buy discount ski movies for TGR MSP or Poor boyz.

Roy
February 14, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
The Greg Stump movies are great (but not a lot of snowboarding).

One Warren Miller movie not mentioned in this thread is Double Exposure. It stars the Egan brothers skiing and talking about the spirit of skiing and why we all do it. It's in my top 5 (however I can't seem to find a copy except the one my friend has).

JohnL
February 16, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Roy,

Is Double Exposure the film where one of the Egans is skiing along a knife's edge ridge, and the ridge collapse several thousand feet downward but he manages to ski over the falling snow and some how stick one ski on solid snow?

I thought I owned Double Exposure, but I can't find it in my den. Hope I didn't lose it when moving...

Don't just talk about the spirit of skiing, do it. www.skiclinics.com You get taught by the Egans and the DesLauriers. Costs some bucks, but well worth it. I've taken three of their (X-Team) clinics in the past. The Vermont clinic is generally a lot cheaper than the others. Way back when, I think they may have given a clinic at Liberty.

Roy
February 17, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Yes that is the film. I'll check out skiclinics.

Actually, I went up to Tenney mountain in October which is run by Dan Egan. They have that new Snowmagic system. However, I didn't get to ski as they closed the day I arrived.

(Anonymous)
February 17, 2004
For really great Telemark skiing footage check out Unparalled 1, 2 or 3. They show some amazing an progessive freeheel stuff. I think they are produced, in part, by K2.

Warren Miller's "FIFTY" is kind of cool too.
Sort of a history lesson and a ski flick rolled into one.

(Anonymous)
February 21, 2004
Snow Job (1972) CAST: Jean-Claude Killy, Danièle Gaubert, Cliff Potts, Vittorio De Sica, LelioLuttazzi

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?